What's new

Gem

I've got that black and gold model, as well as the stainless/gray plastic pushbutton that strongly resembles Pal's injectors (makes it a more handsome model). Wish I knew how good they can do - every SE blade I've tried has bled me.

The GEM blades at Walgreen's were just fine.

Here is a photo, albeit blurry of mine.

View attachment 92614

John

PS I was impressed enough with this razor that I did join the Single Edge Fan Club here on B&B.

Last edited:
Love the GEM's, especially the mean, nasty, blood thirsty open comb Micromatic. Wait, did I say mean and nasty? I meant the misunderstood Micromatic:001_tt2:
Although, I have been really loving the shaves from an old USR SE that tore me to pieces the first several times I used it. I took some time to figure it out, and now I keep going back. Must be some sort of addictive chemicals in the plating that makes me crave it daily! :lol:

Love the GEM's, especially the mean, nasty, blood thirsty open comb Micromatic. Wait, did I say mean and nasty? I meant the misunderstood Micromatic:001_tt2:
Although, I have been really loving the shaves from an old USR SE that tore me to pieces the first several times I used it. I took some time to figure it out, and now I keep going back. Must be some sort of addictive chemicals in the plating that makes me crave it daily! :lol:

The MM is the first SE I gave up on and never went back - so what's the secret to not having it flay you every time? Compared with other SEs, I mean...

I believe you are referring to the Contour, like this one.

Yup. Gray plastic instead of black, but that's it.

If that group buy does get going, count me in for a couple please. I'd rid myself of every SE until last week when a few showed up...might as well give them another shot, like I did injectors.

Shorter strokes, gentler touch. My go to razor.

- Chris

Sums it up pretty good.
I've been trying to get a decent video of my "modified" grip that works perfect with the Micromatic, but I can't get a good "shave cam" working. I might just give up and make a bare bones presentation just to get something up. Basically, you grip the razor only to keep it from falling on the floor, nothing but the weight if the razor against your face. That's what works for me anyway. I've also noticed that when loading the blade, you should wedge the edge into the clips first, then let the spine go before tightening. Laying the blade flat then pushing up to the clips can sometimes lead to a slight misalignment, slight but deadly:wink2:

I've got both a push-button Gem like you've pictured and a Micromatic with the "Guiding Eye" (sometimes called bullet-handled) that I use somewhat regularly. I get very good shaves from both, DFS, but I haven't had enough practice with them to get a BBS shave...yet..:D

you keep saying this repeatedly. just say youre an expert or not.

No Dave, I don't claim to be an expert. I'm not sure what it would take to be one of those. It's just that some of us are have a few years of practical experience. I'm not sure if that makes us knowledgeable or just opinionated old geezers. :001_rolle

I'm sure that you will recall that a good bit of my experience with SE's is due to your advice. I might never have bothered to go find a 1900/1901 Bar Razor if you hadn't so strongly recommended it. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

Good to hear about your experience with a GEM. The best shave I've ever had was with a GEM 1912. There is always a GEM in my regular rotation. At the moment it's a Junior, the one with the short plastic stubby handle. Like all GEM's, the results are fantastic. I've got more GEM blades in the post (thanks Norton) so I'll be able to aquire another GEM razor or two in the near future.

Top Bottom