What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just got a GEM Junior with a fat Bakelite handle today in the mail. I've saved up some whiskers & will give it a spin tomorrow with a new GEM coated stainless blade. It's like the day before Christmas for me! Lol
Hope you have a good experience with the Junior, it takes a 2 or 3 shaves to dial it in if you have not used a GEM razor before. You picked a great razor if it is anything like my GEM 1912, there is not much difference in the the two heads other than the back clasp from my limited research. Just a great shaver and I can see why they sold millions of the 1912 and junior models.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Hope this helps some who are new to GEMS.
Have some great GEM shaves.

I've just purchased a Streamline (Ever Ready), and I'm very excited, if a little nervous. I bought it because its a stunning looking razor but my favorite GEM razor is the G-Bar and I KNOW its more aggressive than that. But I really want to try more GEM's (not the Clog Pruf, Bullet Tip or Featherweight - as I have tried them already). So:

MMOC, Ever Ready 1912 or GEM 1912?

Ron R

I've just purchased a Streamline (Ever Ready), and I'm very excited, if a little nervous. I bought it because its a stunning looking razor but my favorite GEM razor is the G-Bar and I KNOW its more aggressive than that. But I really want to try more GEM's (not the Clog Pruf, Bullet Tip or Featherweight - as I have tried them already). So:

I bought a streamline also recently, I really like my 1912 and a fellow can not go wrong with that one or the MMOC and some times you can get them in lots and that would be great and save a little on shipping but in the states shipping is a great deal anyways. That Streamline you bought is quite a beauty and I was eyeing it also over and it shaves similar to a MMOC(as close to perfect you want to be) according to other Streamline owners.
Have some great GEM shaves!

Don't forget the 1914 Ever Ready Little Lather Catcher, it's a wonderful razor. 1924 Shovel Head is another one you can pick up for little money.

I bought a streamline also recently, I really like my 1912 and a fellow can not go wrong with that one or the MMOC and some times you can get them in lots and that would be great and save a little on shipping but in the states shipping is a great deal anyways. That Streamline you bought is quite a beauty and I was eyeing it also over and it shaves similar to a MMOC(as close to perfect you want to be) according to other Streamline owners.
Have some great GEM shaves!

I think, as these beauty's are all so cheap, Ill just buy them all to try them out, the ER 1912, GEM 1912, MMOC, Little Lather Catcher, 1924 - LOL.

Interesting. Is 1912 not the year they were released? I would prefer the British one.
1912 is the patent date, as far as I can tell, they were made various years, just not 1912 :) Try to nail down dates is confusing at best.

Ron R

The Damskeene razor is the true 1912 and everything after are small if any improvements IMO.

proxy.php

If you are more into reading than looking at a chart, here goes;

"
1911-1912 Gem de Luxe
1912 Gem Damaskeene (the "1912")
1914-1915 (ER) "1914" Marked "American Safety Razor Company New York" Patent Pending
1917-1919 (ER) "1914" Marked "Ever Ready" Patented March 24/14
1918 "Radio" trademark blade - just a point of interest being perhaps "Radio" predated "Ever Ready" on the razors that are marked "Radio"?
1919 Star became a subsiduary of ASR
1919 Gem "1912"
1919 (ER) Front Hinged Cap "Brooklyn New York USA" Patent Applied For (becomes the "1924")
1923 "Ever Ready" trademarked by ASR
1924 "GEM" trademark redesigned by ASR
1925 ER "1914" & "1924" produced hereafter marked "Ever Ready"
1930 Gem "Micromatic" (the Open Comb)
1930 The Improved Ever Ready ("1912") - what we call the Ever Ready "1912" finally coming into common production (see above, regarding "Radio")
1933 ER "E-Bar" - potentially earlier than the Gem offering of the same model? (Last use of "Ever Ready" in the US)
1930s "Star" - supercedes "Ever Ready" in the US (British market continues with "Every Ready") and duplicates "Gem" ("1912") ... perhaps simply becoming the "Junior"
1930s? Gem G-Bar (introduced after the cessation of the Ever Ready trademark in the US)
1940s? Gem "1912 Junior"
1941 Gem (Micromatic) "Clog Pruf"
1947 Gem (Micromatic) "Flying Wing"
1940s? (Late) ER "Streamline" (British - Ever Ready trademark picked up in Britain ... last used in US in 1933)
1950s ER Featherweight (British)
1950s Gem Featherweight/Pushbutton
1960s Gem Contour
1970s Gem Contour II

So, the Gem "1912" is only a 1912 if it's a Damaskeene, 1919 otherwise.
An Ever Ready "1912" is actually a 1930 and Star "1912" were made from 1933.

Ever Ready "1914" is a 1914 if "patent pending", 1917-1919 otherwise.

Ever Ready "1924" is a not a 1924 if "patent applied for" which makes it actually a 1919.

Pivotal years seem to be 1912 (Gem Damaskeene "1912" begins), 1919 (Star brought into ASR, Gem "1912" begins & Ever Ready "1924" comes into pre-patent production), 1923 (Ever Ready brand goes full blown) and 1930 (Ever Ready "1912" begins).

I hope this helps and it might be not 100% but none the less a important guide for the curious.
Have some great shaves!

As per @Tanuki's request here is a pic of my new face scraper. :001_smile

Nice razor. I have the Star version on this razor and really like the handle. Also a friend of mine told me he was picking up 2 of the gem models and one is for me. So I may be able to compare the 2 side by side soon. I would love to get one of the ones with the red handle.

Top Bottom