What's new

Gelato

We've had a summer ritual for the past 2 years. Every Sunday we get gelato at Bulgarini Gelato Artigianale in Altadena, CA. Today we resumed this summer ritual, that for the life of me I can't understand how this isn't a year-round thing. My God! this stuff is amazing. I have never tasted anything in the ice-cream and gelato family that even comes close to Bulgarini's creations. And I've had gelato at well regarded places in Rome and Venice. The man is simply a master of the craft.

Today I had 2 cups. One with a scoop of white grapefruit complementing another of plum-cognac. The other cup had my favorite, zabaglione. The almond and pistachio are also to die for.

What is amazing about the fruit gelati is that they taste just like the real fruit... but better. My gf had the peach that tasted just like biting into the sweetest peach you've ever tasted, simply amazing. And that holds true for all of them.

I know that there are a few members who live around here. I highly recommend that you try it. And if show up wearing an AS Roma jersey, he might give you a free scoop:w00t:

Here is the LA Weekly review.

Any other fans of gelato? Post your favorites... even better, anyone here make their own?

But you'll have to fly to Rome and be patient. If you go, here's the address, Via Uffici del Vicario 40

proxy.php
proxy.php

I love the stuff....but here in the Midwest its rare to find really good gelato. A favorite vacation destination is American Spoon Food in Petoskey, MI. They have a little bistro next door that makes fine flavors.

Pinoli Gelato! :drool:
Last had it in Finale Ligure (Finalborgo specifically) and have not been able to find any locally, I may have to give making it a shot, but I'm sure it would pale in comparison.
Pine nuts and ice cream, whoda thunk it...

Top Bottom