What's new

Galaktus' razor blade journal

Shave #2 with a Med Prep. Another beautiful shave. I love that Med Preps are just so darned smooth. The wonderful aroma of Mikes Barbershop, the sharp and smooth Med Prep, the light sting of Clubman that vanished almost immediately..... What a great shave!
Tomorrow I get to use a Polsilver, what a great week this is sure to be!

PolSilver SI, my second gold standard blade. Just as smooth as the Med Prep, and perhaps a bit sharper. I could be happy with either blade for the rest of my life.
Mikes Barbershop, cold water shave today, and a PolSilver in my Weber. Doesn't get a whole lot better. The light sting of Clubman Special Reserve went away very quickly. I learned today that my wife hates the smell of Clubman SR. Anyway, great shave today, afterwards my skin feels smooth and rubbery.

Shave two with PolSilver SI. The only difference was today I used warm water to soak my brush and The Veg as after shave.
What a heavenly shave! I hate to say this, but the SI, after using the Med Prep for the last blade sample, is now my Number one blade. The shave itself, the post shave feel, all make the PolSilver SI my new number one blade choice.
I have been surprised, both good and bad, with other blades in this test so far, and there a lot of blades to go still. But they all have a pretty big bar to jump to beat the PolSilvers for me.

Shave #1 with a Racer Super Stainless. I used Palmolive Lather for my cream today. The shave was close, and mostly smooth, I have had better shaves, and worse shaves. I had one tiny bite on my neck, but it didn't weep much at all. Post shave burn was present with Skin Bracer . This is one of those blades I could recommend to others, but I have other blades I enjoy more. Tomorrow I'll use Mike's Barbershop and see if I get a better experience.

Second shave with the Racer Super Stainless. In all honesty, today's shave, with Mike's Barbershop was in my top ten shaves. Smooth, sharp, and close. I only have one of these blades, I received as a sample from somewhere. If the limited availability of these blades were to improve, I'm sure they would be a great seller.
After shave burn was slightly and disappeared quickly.

First shave with Shark Super Chrome. Mikes Barbershop was my soap today,as usual. The Shark Super Chrome was sharp, but not legenday sharp like a PolSilver or Med Prep. It wasn't smooth like these, also. It was one of those middle of the road blades for me, one you don't mind using, but isn't your first choice. I had two weepers on my neck. After shave burn with The Veg lingered for a bit. Not my favorite, but not my worst, either.

Second shave with Shark Super Chrome. Just another unremarkable shave this morning. Seemed to lose a bit of sharpness as the shave went on. No nicks or weepers, but the smoothness went away as the shave progressed. Into the blade bank.
Tomorrow, Shark Super Stainless.

Shark SC was the second blade I ever used, the first was a Merkur, and I tended to find it irritating. I've tried Shark a total of 8 shave on two blades and I'm going to try it one more time now that my technique has improved and if I still find it as irritating I'm going to be dong a PIF and sending some to the blade exchange. The price is good and I would like to like it but I've found too many better blades to worry about sticking with a dud.

Shark Super Stainless Shave #1. Face lathered with Mikes Hungarian Lather sample. The shave wasn't the closest or smoothest. No nicks or weepers, after shave burn was minimal. I can feel some stubble returning after a few hours. Not impressed with Sharks so far.

Shave #2 with the Shark Super Stainless. Nothing to write home about, same shave experience as yesterday, just a middle of the road blade to me. Wouldn't buy again, but I would use them if I was out of my top tier blades.

Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade, shave #1. The blade was sharp, and fairly smooth, but I got a few weepers on my neck. After shave burn was present, neither the worst nor the best I ever felt. A few hours later, I feel stubble returning. Rubbing my face now, I feel slight irritation around my jawline. This blade reminds me of the performance of an Astra SP. I binned the blade,and will move onto another tomorrow.

Sputnik shave #1. A very smooth shave, but not the closest. I used Palmolive Lather today, some of the very last from the tube (oh, the horrors!), so tomorrow I will use Mikes and see if there's a difference. One small weeper on my neck. A bit of burn all over, even on my cheeks with after shave, Skin Bracer today. I will try Clubman tomorrow.

Sputnik #2. A good shave, but not great. I lathered up with Mikes Hungarian Lavender. Same burn on my cheeks like yesterday. Overall, a middle of the road blade for me.
Won't be buying again.

SuperMax Super Stainless shave #1. I used Palmolive Lather, face lathered with an Omega 49 knot in an Olivewood handle. The shave was very smooth, and the stubble kept at bay for hours, but not as long as some of my favorite blades. I had one weeper on my neck, and a nick on my Adams Apple which was my fault. A very good, comfortable shave, looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

Second shave with the SuperMax Super Stainless. Another good shave, smooth and comfortable. No weepers or nicks today. Stubble at bay for a few hours, skin felt comfortable when faceturbating. After shave burn was present, not too bad, but not the best, I used The Veg. Overall, a decent middle of the road solid performer. While a decent blade, I have others that I have a more pleasant experience with.

SuperMax Platinum, first shave. Lathered up with Mike's Barbershop. The shave was smooth but not the closest. Typical with two passes all over, and 2 each way at 45 degrees on the neck, both directions. Stubble is returning after 4 hours. After shave burn with Clubman was very minimal.Disappointed so far.

Second shave with the SuperMax Platinum. I used Palmolive Lather, face lathered with a WD Synthetic. The shave was smooth, very little aftershave burn with The Veg. Today I seemed to get a closer shave than yesterday. Totally different shave than yesterday with the same blade. I think I'll give this one a second trial when I am done with the first round.

SuperMax Titanium first shave. I whipped up some Mike's Hungarian Lavender with an Omega 49 know in an Olivewood handle. Had a great shave, close and smooth, it was better than average middle of the road blades, but not quite as pleasurable as my top tier blades. But it was close. I had a bit of after shave burn, but it went away quickly. I had no nicks or weepers. Going to use Palmolive Lather tomorrow.

Second shave with the SuperMax Titanium. Today I used Palmolive Lather. My shave wasn't as smooth as yesterday's shave. And the stubble was returning quicker than I would have liked. After shave burn was up on my cheeks, where it usually never is. Oh well. Guess this blade dulled quicker than I thought it would.

Galaktus. Nice thread.

I am in the process of doing my own blade seek for Muhle R89 as well as Weber PH.

Polsilver SI and the Personna Med Preps really are top notch in the Weber PH.

I do like to shave a little longer before making a decision on the blades though. This way my face can get used to the degree of exfoliation that I am doing with the blade.

I am about ready to wind up a series of tests that I did because someone PIFfed me some blades. The PIF had 2 blades of each at roughly 4 shaves per blade. So that is how I organized the test. A first impressions blade test.

I will likely put the following in a slow rotation (2 weeks per blade) with the Weber PH:
Polsilver SI, Personna Med Prep, Gillette Silver Blue

I can shave with the 7 o'clock SharpEdge Yellow but even though I do not have any razor burn, my skin looks a bit red. I think these blades may be on the rough side. Usually when I have redness, I have the pain associated with the razor burn. I noticed some of the other posts had similar comments regarding the 7 o'clock Yellows.

Top Bottom