What's new

G-Bar revisited

I tried my G-Bar again today. Used a CVS blade, had a pretty good stubble as I skipped yesterday after some serious razor rash from a Senator with a Shark. Not a good combination for me! Anyway, loaded the G-Bar, put it in the sink of hot water, put my brush and warming cup in the sink, climbed in the shower. After the shower, whipped the brush in some Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Blackpepper. Lathered up, made a WTG pass, stopped. Looked in the razor for the blade. It was there. Sink was full of stubble. Relathered, ATG, relathered, XTG. The witch hazed found no irritation, but the Ogalla Bay Rum did. But not much. I got a DFS, almost BBS, very little irritation. Glad I revisited this one with another blade!

The Gbar puts a smile on my face every time I use it. Not only is it a great shaver, but the styling is straight out of the 50's. Space age at its best.

I used my G-bar with great results with an Astra blade. Given its modern, patterned chrome look, it stands out as a unique SE for me.

The G-Bar is my favorite closed comb SE, though I'd use it more if it was an open comb.

Well done on the shave.

I own a G-Bar and use a CVS blade, today after a few downwards and cross passes that didnt shave as close i wanted, i tried shaving upwards and it wasnt what i hoped for. Im going to keep striving for perfection though. Have you tried the ted pella blades? If so...do you think their better? If i get my hands on the other blade otpions and i still dont like the G-bar im going to trade or PIF. I am hoping its just the personna blades that are not doing the job for me, otherwise its a easy to load and great looking razor...looks new.

Last edited:
Glad that you revisited the G-Bar Johnnie...it is definitely high on my list for SE razors, one that I will never get rid off.

While I found my 1924, I can't remember where I hid the G-bar now....
Somewhere safe, somewhere out of sight of "how many of these darn things you need" eyes.....

I own a G-Bar and use a CVS blade, today after a few downwards and cross passes that didnt shave as close i wanted, i tried shaving upwards and it wasnt what i hoped for. Im going to keep striving for perfection though. Have you tried the ted pella blades? If so...do you think their better? If i get my hands on the other blade otpions and i still dont like the G-bar im going to trade or PIF. I am hoping its just the personna blades that are not doing the job for me, otherwise its a easy to load and great looking razor...looks new.

I've found the CVS blades work better for me than the Ted Pella ones, similar to jbradley.

I am a big fan of the G-bar though. It's what got me hooked on SE razors! I use mine rarely these days but I'm unlikely to give it up.

Top Bottom