What's new

From two passes a day to one pass every two days; my perspective

So, I shaved every day for most of the last 40 years, rarely skipping even a weekend day or a vacation day. I joined B&B in 2009 and nothing changed except that I enjoyed the process more. I got into a routine in which I would do two passes (WTG and XTG) every single day of my life. I never did ATG and I never chased BBS; I got CCS to DFS results day after day, and I was always clean-shaved.

About two or three months ago, I started to develop some spots of irritation, particularly on the right side of my face. I thought one of them was an ingrown hair, but it just never got better. I kept shaving the same way (2 passes every day) and over time it got more and more irritated. Eventually it got to the point where it was itching and bothering me quite a bit.

I set up a dermatology appointment, but in the meantime I decided to limit my shaving to what was absolutely necessary. Being a professional, I couldn't just stop shaving entirely. So I chose to move to one pass shaving and to do it every other day.

My expectations were that this would be a drastic change in my life, that people would notice and/or comment on my scruff on the days I didn't shave, etc. But what actually happened is this: absolutely nothing. Except that the sore area healed up and stopped bothering me. It really surprised me that it didn't seem to matter to anyone at all. I think this means that I'm only the center of my own universe!

Sure, one pass is not as close as two, but it's pretty close, if you do the first pass properly and carefully.

Right now I'm in a search for the gentlest and most effective one-pass shaving routine. The last two shaves have been with a Feather SS shavette. Very efficient and actually quite gentle, if you use a really light touch and keep the correct angle.

Anybody else cut down on the frequency of shaving or the number of passes and felt good about it?

So, I shaved every day for most of the last 40 years, rarely skipping even a weekend day or a vacation day. I joined B&B in 2009 and nothing changed except that I enjoyed the process more. I got into a routine in which I would do two passes (WTG and XTG) every single day of my life. I never did ATG and I never chased BBS; I got CCS to DFS results day after day, and I was always clean-shaved.

About two or three months ago, I started to develop some spots of irritation, particularly on the right side of my face. I thought one of them was an ingrown hair, but it just never got better. I kept shaving the same way (2 passes every day) and over time it got more and more irritated. Eventually it got to the point where it was itching and bothering me quite a bit.

I set up a dermatology appointment, but in the meantime I decided to limit my shaving to what was absolutely necessary. Being a professional, I couldn't just stop shaving entirely. So I chose to move to one pass shaving and to do it every other day.

My expectations were that this would be a drastic change in my life, that people would notice and/or comment on my scruff on the days I didn't shave, etc. But what actually happened is this: absolutely nothing. Except that the sore area healed up and stopped bothering me. It really surprised me that it didn't seem to matter to anyone at all. I think this means that I'm only the center of my own universe!

Sure, one pass is not as close as two, but it's pretty close, if you do the first pass properly and carefully.

Right now I'm in a search for the gentlest and most effective one-pass shaving routine. The last two shaves have been with a Feather SS shavette. Very efficient and actually quite gentle, if you use a really light touch and keep the correct angle.

Anybody else cut down on the frequency of shaving or the number of passes and felt good about it?

Sir Randall, congrat's, shaving with Feather shavette, IMO, is about the best a man can get!!

razorock xxx rooney feather proraso sandalwood august 20 2019.jpg

i absolutely cut down on the frequency and passes and love the free time :001_tt2:

i usually do two easy passes and move on. I skip days or weeks all the time to keep expectations similar.

the only thing that is bad is that shave soap doesnt get used up as fast.

WTG and XTG twice a week. Amazing shaves every time and no irritation or ingrowns anymore. The overall quality of my skin has improved a lot since I moved away from daily shaving.

Congratulations on finding a solution!! :a29:

IMO the lessons are:
#1. Keep an open mind and work toward a solution!
#2. Technique and good products remain critical!

Interesting. I'm a three pass every day of the week kind of guy. Really enjoy shaving. This week I had to be at work an hour earlier than usual every day. Something had to go in my morning routine, less sleep, less eating, less reading, less exercise, less catching up on life with my wife. Or less shaving. So I decided to have 5 min shaves all week. One pass against the grain. Besides saving some time, I figured it would also be an interesting experiment to see how my razors would handle it. So far, with the same blade, soap and brush, I've used my Raw RS10 with aggressive plate, a copper CG lvl2, ATT SE 1 Alum, and a SS SE Mongoose. Karve and Timeless in the queue. I have a Feather Shavette on its way, but that will be a long learning curve for me. So far I've not noticed any difference in face feel, and negligible difference in shaving feel. They are all top tier razors so I guess I didn't expect dramatic differences between them. Trying different blades would also be interesting.

*this*

I really don't understand the need for three passes. I can get a shave that is just fine with one pass plus some touch ups on more difficult areas....maybe 1.5 passes where I take a second pass below the chin line. BBS = pain the next day for me.

Congrats on finding a solution and a new way to enjoy the shave!

I wish I could get away with a one pass shave but c'est la vie.

Interesting. I'm a three pass every day of the week kind of guy. Really enjoy shaving. This week I had to be at work an hour earlier than usual every day. Something had to go in my morning routine, less sleep, less eating, less reading, less exercise, less catching up on life with my wife. Or less shaving. So I decided to have 5 min shaves all week. One pass against the grain. Besides saving some time, I figured it would also be an interesting experiment to see how my razors would handle it. So far, with the same blade, soap and brush, I've used my Raw RS10 with aggressive plate, a copper CG lvl2, ATT SE 1 Alum, and a SS SE Mongoose. Karve and Timeless in the queue. I have a Feather Shavette on its way, but that will be a long learning curve for me. So far I've not noticed any difference in face feel, and negligible difference in shaving feel. They are all top tier razors so I guess I didn't expect dramatic differences between them. Trying different blades would also be interesting.
Did you get the folding or the non-folding Feather shavette? DX or SS? Inquiring minds want to know.

There is a learning curve, but once you learn how to do it, these razors are really quite remarkable.

Did you get the folding or the non-folding Feather shavette? DX or SS? Inquiring minds want to know.

There is a learning curve, but once you learn how to do it, these razors are really quite remarkable.
Non folding, straight handle. I've tried before when a $10 plastic folding one and that did not go well.

Top Bottom