What's new

From the Back-of-the-Rack: Schick Repeating Razor

Well, after a short break from the Back-of-the-Rack (owing to the Joris tour!), I'm back with another of those dusty relics that many of us might have, but haven't shaved with.

This week's offering is an open-comb Shick Repeating Razor. This one is gold-tone. I have one of the silver, solid-guard-bar examples, but I took it apart and can't quite figure out how to get it back together, so that one will have to wait.

The one I'm using has a broken corner tooth, so it's not the best of examples, but it didn't seem to matter much. It came pre-loaded with a bunch of old blades which I discarded and replaced with personna 74s, which is the only concession to modernity that I've made, here.

The idea, as I understand it, is to provide razor and blades in an easy-to-carry format, nice and compact, suitable for travel, small in the dopp. The mechanism for changing blades is pretty simple. There's a "magazine" that holds a stack of blades, you fold the head to align longitudinally with the handle, the bottom of the razor pulls out and pushes in to load a new blade and push out the old one. It has a little cap to cover the head section of the device, and the top of the cap is slotted to allow air in, presumably to help keep it dry.

So, how does it shave? Well, the head of the razor is pretty flat, so the angle is a bit different from other schick injectors I've tried. If you're going with the suitably shallow blade angle, the handle is almost perpendicular to the face. It's not terribly intuitive, really, but short strokes do well enough. At the same time, the handle is pretty heavy, so you have to be conscious about pressure. The square shape of the handle is pretty easy to handle and control, so there are no issues there. I worried a little bit about the head folding over in mid-shave, but it's not a problem.

I got a DFS in 2 easy passes. There were a couple little weepers, but nothing remarkable -- no styptic required. As I was using it, I could not help thinking about the eversharp and the dial adjustable that are part of my regular rotation. In contrast to the eversharp, I like the heavier weight, surprisingly. Yet, I miss the angle and grippy handle of the dial adjustable. Still, the results are good, and as a travel-ready option, I think it'll do very well. The workmanship is very sturdy.

I'll give it a few shaves this week, and I'm looking forward to it.

Now, some pics for your edification.
-- Chet

Attachments

• $SR1.jpg
    $SR1.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 141
  • $SR2.jpg
    $SR2.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 139
  • $SR3.jpg
    $SR3.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 140
I have one of those and love it. wish I could put it in my dopp kit for carry on. Mine's full of Schick plus Platinums.

Well, shave #2 was pretty good. A bit better than shave #1, actually. Nice as smooth. DFS in 2 passes, no weepers. I managed to get a better feel for the angle, I think, and kept pressure (even accidental) to a minimum. It's looking to be a pretty nice run. I'll definitely show up for shave #3. If you haven't seen one of these around, keep an eye out. They're interesting.
-- Chet

Well, I've had three good shaves with the Schick Repeating razor. By the third time through, it was actually pretty easy. I can say that I prefer a cylindrical handle, because as I moved the razor around, I did not like having to battle with flat sides. Regardless, each shave worked out just fine. I'm glad I tried it, though I'm pretty sure that there are other travel options I prefer more. The compactness and self-loading features are probably the main selling points, and I suppose that the SRR was a huge advance some 60 years ago. It's really not so special, now, from a practical point of view. They're hard enough to find and work with that I'm not one to suggest that anyone pick one up. Yep, it's a novelty, but impractical enough that it's not worth the trouble.

Next on the Back-of-the-Rack: The Apollo Plastic-Baseplate 2-piece!
-- Chet

Top Bottom