What's new

Frito Pie

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Camping for a couple of days on the Swannanoa River. Gotta have Frito Pie.

image.jpg
B065BF45-188B-4AA3-843F-EFA6F38A88AE.jpeg

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Very nice.

RV or tents?

RV. The bears and rattlesnakes when we lived in AZ made it easy for me to upgrade our accommodations after years of Texas tent camping. Had a brown bear about 6" away from our heads in our pop up that convinced her we needed a motor home . I'm not ashamed to now be a Glamper LOL.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Heh. "Texas Poutine."

Gotta be cheap chili, though. Try to get all fancy and it just isn't the taste that we rode our bicycles across town to get when we were chaps.

O.H.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am firmly planted on the no beans side when it comes to chili, but right here in Austin, Texas, about a block from the Big Pink Building, is the Texas Chili Parlor. They make superb chili, but to my horror and delight their five bean vegetable chili makes the best Frito pie around IMO.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am firmly planted on the no beans side when it comes to chili, but right here in Austin, Texas, about a block from the Big Pink Building, is the Texas Chili Parlor. They make superb chili, but to my horror and delight their five bean vegetable chili makes the best Frito pie around IMO.
Vegetable chili? Times have changed. I can’t go there. But I trust Austin Texas to cook some pretty good chili whether it’s vegetable or beef. So I must show you my Frito pie. Sorry there is no little bag with it.
81D700B1-9A8E-45B0-A9D7-769A40ADD909.jpeg

No beans in NM chili. Christmas means both red and green NM chili. Some places are known for the red; others green. I made some green last night. Fritos are a tad too salty for me; fresh well made chips are much better.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
No beans in NM chili. Christmas means both red and green NM chili. Some places are known for the red; others green. I made some green last night. Fritos are a tad too salty for me; fresh well made chips are much better.
True on too much salt. I’m not a big salt person. So what I do is not salt the chili as much.

Last edited:
One camping trip I planned frito pie for our last lunch in camp. We had a couple hotdogs so I added them to the chili. My friend said it looked like someone scared the 💩 out of a bear. So he renamed it “ Scary Bear”

I have to watch my salt intake so Fritos are not on the menu these days. 🙁

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yep. I always use a lot of onion.
Onions on top are a must.
One camping trip I planned frito pie for our last lunch in camp. We had a couple hotdogs so I added them to the chili. My friend said it looked like someone scared the 💩 out of a bear. So he renamed it “ Scary Bear”

I have to watch my salt intake so Fritos are not on the menu these days. 🙁
I can’t take those salty Fritos either. But my local grocer produces a salt free tortilla chips. Ive bought them for years.

Last edited:
Before the pandemic, there was a BBQ joint in the Dallas airport that had Frito pie with brisket in it.. dang that was some sort of good

Top Bottom