What's new

Free Starbucks @ Noon Eastern/9 Pacific 4/8/08

Starbucks is giving away free cups of ther new "Pike's Peak" blend for 30 minutes. Supposedly, this will have the smooth finish their coffees tend to lack.
There's a Starbucks right next to the radio station, so I might pop over and give it a shot. Hey, it's free. And caffeine is caffeine.

Somehow, I just have a hard time even getting excited. I tend to agree with a large population of coffee roasters that consider Starbucks coffee to be burnt. Among ourselves, we frequently refer to them as "Charbucks." Not to take away from their marketing... they have done a superb job. Just happen to think their coffee beans are always burnt. Now, that is hard to taste under a layer of various add-ons, but try it sometime just black. See what you think about the real flavor.

You mean there's another way to drink coffee besides BLACK?:eek:

I've drunk my coffee black since I was about 11 or 12. Not sure why. My parents/siblings always took it with cream, sugar or both. But I've always had a certain affinity for bitter drinks...Campari, plain green tea, Starbucks French/Italian Roast...

Sweet drinks like Chai make my teeth stand on end.

Black is the only way for me too. Sweet coffee just seems wrong to me.

I don't buy their coffee in bags that much since I'm on a budget. I have not noticed a burnt taste like others say but my sense of smell and taste are usually questioned by friends and SWMBO. :001_rolle

JD

Starbucks straight espresso always leaves a lingering burnt flavour for me, but soon this will be eliminated completely as I'm going to try and start home-roasting

I've drunk my coffee black since I was about 11 or 12. Not sure why. My parents/siblings always took it with cream, sugar or both. But I've always had a certain affinity for bitter drinks...Campari, plain green tea, Starbucks French/Italian Roast...

Sweet drinks like Chai make my teeth stand on end.

It's said that the ability to appreciate bitter flavors is the mark of a mature palate. I'm surprised you like Campari though; it's just so syrupy to me.

A lot of people drink Campari with OJ. I prefer it with unsweetened Grapefruit or Cranberry juice. But you're right, it is fairly syrupy.

Just curious, did anyone get a chance to try the new Starbucks brew? I had a recording session and didn't make it out.

A lot of people drink Campari with OJ. I prefer it with unsweetened Grapefruit or Cranberry juice. But you're right, it is fairly syrupy.

Just curious, did anyone get a chance to try the new Starbucks brew? I had a recording session and didn't make it out.

I thought Campari with Soda was the preffered Cocktail. At least it is for some of my Italian friends.

I had to run into a meeting so didn't make it over for the free cup. Oh well...

Somehow, I just have a hard time even getting excited. I tend to agree with a large population of coffee roasters that consider Starbucks coffee to be burnt. Among ourselves, we frequently refer to them as "Charbucks." Not to take away from their marketing... they have done a superb job. Just happen to think their coffee beans are always burnt. Now, that is hard to taste under a layer of various add-ons, but try it sometime just black. See what you think about the real flavor.
I tried a cup. Awful. had a look @ the beans - a perfect roast for those who like oily charcoal. They had to have taken these well into or even all the way through second crack. Fresh roasted? Only if you consider 13 days since the roast date (proudly displayed BTW) fresh...

Pretty much undrinkable black. Barely tolerable with cream and sugar.

Starbucks is to coffee what McDonald's is to burgers.

Interesting that you make that comparison. Here's part of an article at USATODAY.com
-----

Traffic in Starbucks' U.S. stores has been slowing in recent months, amid a broad-based economic downturn and stiffer competition from companies such as McDonald's (MCD), which is aggressively targeting the specialty-brewed coffee market that Starbucks helped establish.
Last year, McDonald's efforts got a boost when Consumer Reports rated the hamburger joint's drip coffee best.
Tasters from the consumer magazine said of McDonald's brew: "Decent and moderately strong. Although it lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had no flaws."
Starbucks got a harsher review, with tasters calling its coffee "strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open."

V

VR6ofpain

Now, that is hard to taste under a layer of various add-ons, but try it sometime just black. See what you think about the real flavor.
I only drink coffee black and I quite enjoy Starbucks. Obviously some of their coffees aren't very good (their Breakfast Blend and House Blend are garbage), but for the most part I would easily take a Starbucks over a Peets. We have Seattle's Best at work, so I pretty much drink Seattle's Best Blend and Henry's Blend all day. Gotta love a good cup of (black) coffee!:smile:

Starbucks is to coffee what seagulls are to a picnic.

In-BEEPing-deed. Overpriced mediocre coffee is what starbucks is. I get better results from pre-ground store-bought. And for a few dollars more I can get whole bean fresh roasted from a local roaster, and my kid gets a kick out of watching the roasting process. Still comes out to decidedly cheaper than starbucks, and even cheaper than McD.

In-BEEPing-deed. Overpriced mediocre coffee is what starbucks is. I get better results from pre-ground store-bought. And for a few dollars more I can get whole bean fresh roasted from a local roaster, and my kid gets a kick out of watching the roasting process. Still comes out to decidedly cheaper than starbucks, and even cheaper than McD.

For a few dollars less I can purchase green beans and roast them myself. My roasting set up cost <$100; quality single variety green beans run me anywhere from $3-$7 a pound shipped. The rig certainly paid for itself in just a couple of months and the investment of time in roasting my own is trivial (about 12-15 minutes/lb).

I use a set up like this.

Top Bottom