What's new

Frederick Reynolds 6/8 Wedge - Restored

This is one coming off the bench today, a fully restored Frederick Reynolds Barber's Notch Wedge....

Here are the before pics this one was rough, the scales were shot they were splitting apart.... There was pitting and the dreaded black staining on the razor, I checked the edge before I started all the work... This is something you should get in the habit of doing if there is pitting present on the blade...
Just tape up the spine like 2-3 layers and put the razor on a low grit stone 800 or less and give it maybe 20 laps with heavy pressure and make sure that you find clean steel on the edge otherwise all the pretty in the world is a waste...

View attachment 56650

I had to get pretty rough on the steel to get all the pitting out then I took it back to smooth and shiny with 80-600 grit grease-less compounds on the low speed buffer, and polished out on the high speed buffer with Emory -Chrome polishes....

I used the Red Lava Acrylic this seems to be popular for the older blades, I cant wait to try out some of the new acrylics that are on there way here now...

I used a classic scale design, with the rounded flared wedge end, then changed up the pivot end with a almost squared look.... The wedge is black acyclic and the pins are stacked brass...

View attachment 56651

View attachment 56653

View attachment 56654

The razor balances to the tang when open...

View attachment 56655

Top Bottom