What's new

Frankensoaps

I've been doing research on cologne scents in an attempt to learn how to identify what shaving soap scents I'll like based only on the scent profile and ran across a couple interesting graphics that show how to mix different families of scents together and come out with something in the end that smells good. It's kind of hard to describe but it's basically the same concept behind the color wheel and complimentary colors if that makes sense.

I've attached both gifs below and also included a link where I found the info. I guess the hard part is knowing exactly where a given shave soap scent would fall on the scent wheel but if you can figure that out it shouldn't be too hard to find other scents that will go well with it to make a good smelling frankensoap.

Here is the link where I found the gifs. There is a lot if other good info there too. I definitely prefer this more scientific approach to mixing and matching than just winging it. Winging it doesn't usually end well for me. https://www.fragrancex.com/blog/fragrance-wheel/

opposite.gif

triangle-1.gif

I like to mix a little Arko with my Proraso white. I mixed Arko and Proraso green from time to time as well.

I've found that mixing Williams and a half bar of Dove bath soap makes a wonderful rich slick lather, by themselves I get a very good lather with each, but shaving a puck of Williams and a half bar of Dove, mixing and pressing into a bowl makes an excellent lather in any scent Dove produces. So far I've tried Cucumber, Shea Butter and Tangerine. Yes I know, many here say "Don't mess with Williams" But it sure is an improvement.

CAUTION: If you're a soap purist, snob, unimaginative cranky old fart, if it takes 3 grown men to force your pinky back down as you pronounce "Fougère", or any other category of fud, stop now, or go back & take your heart medication. The following isn't for the faint of heart.
I came across some Equate Gel under the counter - it's the generic equivalent to a Gillette Shave Gel. I never cared for the stuff, since right outta the can it gunked up the razor.

I've recently discovered the hidden utility of this stuff - squirt it out & lather with a brush. But First:

In an 8 oz bowl, squirt out bout 30 ml of the gel. Squeeze in 10 ml Cremo. Mix it up really fast, then stand back. It will outgas & foam up, expanding to fill the bowl. Lit it sit undisturbed overnite, until it goes flat, then stir to mix completely. You may have to stir & let it sit a couple of times before it goes completely flat.

To use: put about 1/2 tsp on your brush & swirl around a bowl. Add a few drops of water & begin building a lather with a well-wrung out brush. Brushes and product amounts make the amount of water vary, but, adding water & whipping with the brush, you'll build a thick stiff and dense lather that rivals even Cremogena. It builds a lather so stupidly easy that you could probably use an old paintbrush to whip up a fantastic lather.

I recently bought some Ogallala Bay Rum soap. It lathers like crazy and looks impressive. BUT it has no residual slickness, and all my shaves with every razor and blade combo fell short of smooth and close. After 6 hours I needed another shave. For me a BBS shave with quality soap lasts me 12-16 hours. Ogallala certainly fell short.
But, Never Mind ... I can fix it (famous lastwords akin to: 'hold my beer & watch this').
Melted the entire puck - easy to do with medium microwave power and multiple 15 second intervals. I then added 1 TBSP glycerin + 1 TBSP Castor Oil and 1 BIG chunkty TBSP Lanolin. It stirred all together just fine, but made a harder soap, completely devoid of lather. The excess lanolin also coated my favorite cheap synthetic test brush & was difficult to clean out.
Unusable, I nevertheless refused to bin it and instead melted it again & mixed in some grated Williams. Same deal, very little weak & runny lather & too greasy.
Now I'm worried, I've got almost $9 invested in this disaster ... but I couldn't let it go.

I mixed 1 TBSP of the heated disaster mix to 1 TBSP Cremo and let it cool.
Results: Lathers like a demon and has great slickness. Got a smooth and comfortable BBS shave that looks like it will last well into the night.

I'll buy more Ogallala Bay Rum, and will just go straight to the microwave to add all the other ingredients (minus the grated Williams). I'm confident it will produce more of this awesome OgaFrankenllala Soap!

Top Bottom