What's new

Frank Shaving synthetic G5 rumor

Okay, I've now used both the G4 and G5 multiple times, and I would never have though that they were different iterations of the same product had I not already been aware... They're that different.

The G4 is much softer, has zero scritch and medium high backbone. That takes moderate pressure to initiate splay and about half that pressure to maintain splaying. It achieves it's backbone by densely packing very fine fibers. The fiber taper on the G4 is quite rapid so when lateral pressure is applied, such as during a painting stroke, it feels like the fibers and bending further from the base of the knot, if that makes sense. The more dramatic taper also makes the brush feel like only the top 2/3 of the bristles are splaying, rather than the entire length. Clearly designed with shorter lofts in mind.

The G5 is totally different. It has medium backbone and takes light pressure to initiate splay and very little to maintain it. G5 has slightly larger fibers slightly less densely packed that have a much slower taper so that lateral pressure makes it feel like the entire fiber is bending uniformly up and down it's length. Looks like longer lofts will work well with the G5 iteration. While still quite soft, the G5 isn't as soft as the G4 and other synths, and is the first synthetic I've tried with some light skritch. I can almost feel each individual fiber, unlike the G4. Not everybody will like this, but I actually do. Synthetics have become almost too soft and the G5 sacrifices some of that softness for a...how to describe it....a crispier feeling as if the fibers are made from very hard slippers plastic fibers that somehow still bend. it's very different from other synthetics and something about it reminds me of natural hair. Interesting brush that I anticipate will not only divide the community, but those who like it will LOVE it and those that don't like it will hate it. This of course is speculation on my part.

*note* The first time I lathered the G5 some of the dye ran and I had light pink lather, but hasn't happened since then.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Okay, I've now used both the G4 and G5 multiple times, and I would never have though that they were different iterations of the same product had I not already been aware... They're that different.

The G4 is much softer, has zero scritch and medium high backbone. That takes moderate pressure to initiate splay and about half that pressure to maintain splaying. It achieves it's backbone by densely packing very fine fibers. The fiber taper on the G4 is quite rapid so when lateral pressure is applied, such as during a painting stroke, it feels like the fibers and bending further from the base of the knot, if that makes sense. The more dramatic taper also makes the brush feel like only the top 2/3 of the bristles are splaying, rather than the entire length. Clearly designed with shorter lofts in mind.

The G5 is totally different. It has medium backbone and takes light pressure to initiate splay and very little to maintain it. G5 has slightly larger fibers slightly less densely packed that have a much slower taper so that lateral pressure makes it feel like the entire fiber is bending uniformly up and down it's length. Looks like longer lofts will work well with the G5 iteration. While still quite soft, the G5 isn't as soft as the G4 and other synths, and is the first synthetic I've tried with some light skritch. I can almost feel each individual fiber, unlike the G4. Not everybody will like this, but I actually do. Synthetics have become almost too soft and the G5 sacrifices some of that softness for a...how to describe it....a crispier feeling as if the fibers are made from very hard slippers plastic fibers that somehow still bend. it's very different from other synthetics and something about it reminds me of natural hair. Interesting brush that I anticipate will not only divide the community, but those who like it will LOVE it and those that don't like it will hate it. This of course is speculation on my part.

*note* The first time I lathered the G5 some of the dye ran and I had light pink lather, but hasn't happened since then.
Great review and detailed comparison thanks. I’m not motivated to go g5. I also gave a hard time overlooking the pink slime. 🤮
Even though it’s only happening once it’s pretty strange.

What handle did you get? Their ad copy says the handles are random.

Great review and detailed comparison thanks. I’m not motivated to go g5. I also gave a hard time overlooking the pink slime. 🤮
Even though it’s only happening once it’s pretty strange.

What handle did you get? Their ad copy says the handles are random.
G4 left
G5 right
IMG_20210521_185433307.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I wonder why they went brown. And brown makes the pink slime even more odd. 🤕
Thanks for posting the pic.

I'm very interested in this brush. That was a very nice review that SterFry did but I would like to see one more. Not that I need another brush but I'm interested when something new comes along. I think I will be placing an order very soon.

So your bottom line is you DO like it. I am very tempted to give it a try. Of course I have many brushes I'm very happy with. Knowing me I will probably buy one soon. Very soon.

I do like it.
So your bottom line is you DO like it. I am very tempted to give it a try. Of course I have many brushes I'm very happy with. Knowing me I will probably buy one soon. Very soon.
I do like it. I don't love it and I think a lot of people won't like it unless they like a bit of skritch. I am glad I got one.. Especially for $7 shipped.

is it just scritch or does it have some scrub too?
My brush has quite a high loft, 24/60 ish. On a one to ten scale with 1 being floppy and 10 bring scrubby I'd put it at about a 3.5 or maybe a 4. With a shorter loft one could certainly raise that number, but the G5 was clearly designed with longer lofts in mind so I would look elsewhere is you want more than moderately scrubby.

If you like scrubby synthetics then get a ShaveForge synthetic knot. Those things are awesomely scrubby.

I do like it.

I do like it. I don't love it and I think a lot of people won't like it unless they like a bit of skritch. I am glad I got one.. Especially for $7 shipped.

It seems I got the same one you did. Only $7.82 at Amazon. They still have 10 more in stock. Worth the price to try something different and good.

Top Bottom