What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

Update on the Rasasi

I got a good 10-12 hours from this and the wife told me my cologne smells "incensy" when we went to bed about 17 hours after application.

Today
Kalemat Black from Arabian Oud
Top notes are olibanum and basil; middle note is vanilla; base notes are agarwood (oud) and amber.

Got a 10ml decant of this in a swap and I had never heard of it before.

Opening was strong amber and vanilla. The vanilla was almost like that freshly opened vanilla flavoring and almost alcohol smelling but still good at the same time. So far it smells a lot like other Vanilla/Amber based ouds. It is very sweet and almost to sweet for me. However I am liking it a lot. I think the lightly smoke cuts the sweetness some. It seems blended pretty well too.
Now most of what I can find has this around $100 for 100ml. Its good but I think you can find similar scents for less with good performance. Maybe something from Scent Story for example.

It is said to perform very well and I will update later.

Update
Great scent with pretty good performance. It projected through the whole work day and I could smell it on my undershirt when I was getting ready or bed (yes most nights I sleep in my undershirt from throughout the day). Still very similar to other Amber / Vanilla and Oud scents. It is good but there are others that perform just as good for less.

Thanks! That the one I use. Beautiful bottle.
From my understanding the EDP bottle is the same as the EDT also.
I have been hearing rumors that the EDT will be discontinued (EDP already is) but it was still on the Van Cleef website. Last night I saw someone asking crazy money for a bottle on a facebook group. Sure enough it is no longer on the website and all the sites that sold it are either out or cranked up the prices. SHAME! I will not be selling decants of that anymore

Hammam Bouquet.

Yes, I read the stories. Old classic since 1872. Should remind the wearer of a Turkish Bath. Blah, blah, blah…

Opening is pure dirty musk. Smells like BO. Not a hot gym sweat, but “I skipped shower for over 24 hours” funk. Or may be a bath towel that hasn’t been changed in 3-4 days. This stink last good 5 minutes. Then some hefty lavender appears. It’s not an airy field lavender of English Fern, bath rather a sharper scent of lavender soap. Imagine walking your stinky unwashed loins to a shower and sniffing a bar of cheap lavender soap. This flowery musk/lavender combination lasts for over an hour. Then the scent pallet mellows and starts showing a bit of woody notes. On my skin, it lasted for about 8 hours. Projection was modest for the first 2. Then it was close to the skin.

Today
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP
This is more vetiver and less citrus than the EDT. The citrus is more grapefruit then lemon also. So far I do like the EDP better. The EDT seemed to last a good long time but didn't project much. We shall see if this is any better. The do smell VERY similar. I could see someone needing to wear both a lot to decide. I would likely base it on price and performance

Well here are my thoughts.
They both smell very close to each other. The EDP just edges out in performance However....

They both seemed to not perform well for me and I have no idea why. They are both known to be a solid performer. Maybe it is nose blindness or something. Any case both seem like a great scent for spring. I will have to wear them again before I could decide to purchase or not. As of right now if I were going to I would go for the EDP

Nope, sounds to me that your skin is rejecting them both. As a favor to you, I will take them and dispose of them properly 3-5 sprays at a time. It will take me a little time, but as your friend, I feel it's my duty. So, throw on some gloves and carefully pack these two decants up and mail them to me and I'll get started ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try applying EDT on one arm and EDP on the other. The progressions from top to base are noticeably different.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

I love vanilla since childhood. My grandma use to sprinkle vanilla sugar on donuts and cakes. So, with my last order of sample I decided to try SDV. If you believe some bloggers, it's the best vanilla fragrance out there.

This stuff is expensive in the range of $400 per bottle. I got a small 1ml vial. Unfortunately, the stopper broke when opened. I was "forced" to use this perfumes 2 days in a row.

SDV opened with vanilla, a touch of citrus and some white flowers. Projection was so light that I kept reapplying it to my wrist. Used 1/2 cc. In mid notes cedar was quite prominent. Later, I could sense some rose.

Overall, I found this fragrance quite boring. Too subdued. Longevity was good but very body-heat dependent. The fragrance "woke up" 14 hours after application when I was working out. Sillage is very soft.

If you are looking for a non-gourmand vanilla, take a look at SVD. It might be a good match for sandalwood soap or cream such as AoS.

Here we go for another scent
Mancera Aoud Vanille
Top notes are agarwood (oud), saffron, black pepper and cardamom; middle note is floral notes; base notes are madagascar vanilla, guaiac wood and sandalwood.

Opening is a very realistic candy like vanilla. It is not a boozy kind of vanilla at all. I do get some woodsy notes but they are very light at this point. I will give it more time as its been on for maybe an hour. So far I would say if you are a vanilla lover (Rick) try this. If you dislike vanilla stay away. I only like it on occasion myself. More to come later today (probably)

Here we go for another scent
Mancera Aoud Vanille
Top notes are agarwood (oud), saffron, black pepper and cardamom; middle note is floral notes; base notes are madagascar vanilla, guaiac wood and sandalwood.

Opening is a very realistic candy like vanilla. It is not a boozy kind of vanilla at all. I do get some woodsy notes but they are very light at this point. I will give it more time as its been on for maybe an hour. So far I would say if you are a vanilla lover (Rick) try this. If you dislike vanilla stay away. I only like it on occasion myself. More to come later today (probably)

Oooooh, I want this one lol. I'm wondering how the base will be constructed, so give us an update!!

Update on Mancera Aoud Vanille
Its just okay for me. Its seems to last long but does not project like I would like. Its a little boring to me too and smells mostly of just vanilla. You vanilla lovers will probably enjoy it a lot.

Today
Mancera Blue Notes
Description
starts with a citrusy union of bergamot, mandarin and Calabrian lemon, completed with fruity and green notes. The heart introduces floral accords of ylang-ylang, violet, rose and orris, spiced with earthy and woody shades of patchouli leaves. The base accentuates guaiac wood combined with sandalwood, while intense leather and amber provide warmth to the composition. Sensuality originates from the soft Madagascar vanilla.

The opening is very fruity and kind or reminds me of the opening of a cheap from oil like Al-Rehab but only for a minute or two. Then it becomes a rather realistic fruity syrup. A little over an hour in and I would describe it as fruity with light floral notes and some leather. I don't find it very woodsy yet. It would be a good spring scent. Not sure how it performs yet but it is not beastly at all. The projection already seems a little light. Right now I would call it nice but I am not excited about it. One of those scents that I would use up a decant but don't see myself buying. It also reminds me a little of Invictus Aqua for some reason.

Hope you all are still enjoying my reviews. I would love to hear from everyone!

Update on Mancera Aoud Vanille
Its just okay for me. Its seems to last long but does not project like I would like. Its a little boring to me too and smells mostly of just vanilla. You vanilla lovers will probably enjoy it a lot.

Today
Mancera Blue Notes
Description
starts with a citrusy union of bergamot, mandarin and Calabrian lemon, completed with fruity and green notes. The heart introduces floral accords of ylang-ylang, violet, rose and orris, spiced with earthy and woody shades of patchouli leaves. The base accentuates guaiac wood combined with sandalwood, while intense leather and amber provide warmth to the composition. Sensuality originates from the soft Madagascar vanilla.

The opening is very fruity and kind or reminds me of the opening of a cheap from oil like Al-Rehab but only for a minute or two. Then it becomes a rather realistic fruity syrup. A little over an hour in and I would describe it as fruity with light floral notes and some leather. I don't find it very woodsy yet. It would be a good spring scent. Not sure how it performs yet but it is not beastly at all. The projection already seems a little light. Right now I would call it nice but I am not excited about it. One of those scents that I would use up a decant but don't see myself buying. It also reminds me a little of Invictus Aqua for some reason.

Hope you all are still enjoying my reviews. I would love to hear from everyone!

Of course we're still enjoying them! Keep me coming ;-)

This one doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, but one never knows and that's why we sample

These reviews are excellent and have me mondo curious about the Mancera line overall. Looks like they have several I'd like to sample especially the Cedrat Boise.

Top Bottom