What's new

Found the Fat

Harris soaps, GFT soaps, AoS, QED Sandalwood Rose, PC soaps
:001_smile

I'm not a huge fan of Tabac, but I will say it's pretty nice if overrated. It's a bit behind these listed IME.

Agreed on Harris and AOS, haven't tried the others. Based upon your list, you ought to give the Penhaligon's EF a try, if you can still find it in the old formula, and also L'Occitane CADE SS, which is right up there despite it's lack of tallow.

Congratulations on finding MWF, Paul -- it's absolutely a top contender. There is a reason it's been around for over 100 years!!!

Is MWF really that good? I'm tried Susie's bubbles - not much slip, mama bears - like the scents and shave, VDH - a decent cheapy and clean scent, Willams is passable in a pinch. Ogalla bay rum + sandalwood is a great soap for the price. Where does MWF fall in the above array?

IMHO, MWF is in an altogether different league than the soaps you mention, all of which are nevertheless fine products. Give it a try -- you might be surprised at the differences, both in performance and in the way your face feels post-shave.

Enjoy!

Agreed on Harris and AOS, haven't tried the others. Based upon your list, you ought to give the Penhaligon's EF a try, if you can still find it in the old formula, and also L'Occitane CADE SS, which is right up there despite it's lack of tallow.

Congratulations on finding MWF, Paul -- it's absolutely a top contender. There is a reason it's been around for over 100 years!!!

IMHO, MWF is in an altogether different league than the soaps you mention, all of which are nevertheless fine products. Give it a try -- you might be surprised at the differences, both in performance and in the way your face feels post-shave.

Enjoy!

Neil, I've got the EF as well as some Yardley that I didn't include because a) it just isn't fair to Tabac to include them, and b) they aren't available anymore in the formulation that I've tried at least. :001_smile

Glad to hear you enjoyed this stuff Paul. Its been an on/off relationship with me, but your post got me to get around to doing what I've wanted to for a long time. I pulled the puck out and milled it back into the original bowl. Going to see if that makes a difference

And dude...change your avatar back. I liked the ape smoking the pipe with the hat. I'm going to have nightmares!

I can't wait to try MWF:biggrin: It will be an extremely long time since I am broke.:frown:
I haven't been overly impressed with Tabac. I get a nice lather, but it dried out my skin somewhat.
Is the general consensus on the forums is that MWF is better than Tabac? I would imagine that the lanolin and tallow combination is killer. I have tried the Godrej with lanolin and found it to be extremely moisturizing. I wonder why no other soapmakers or companies have tried using these 2 together.

I can't wait to try MWF:biggrin: It will be an extremely long time since I am broke.:frown:
I haven't been overly impressed with Tabac. I get a nice lather, but it dried out my skin somewhat.
Is the general consensus on the forums is that MWF is better than Tabac? I would imagine that the lanolin and tallow combination is killer. I have tried the Godrej with lanolin and found it to be extremely moisturizing. I wonder why no other soapmakers or companies have tried using these 2 together.

It's my understanding that Prairie Creations is working on a tallow and lanolin version that it's in the works. That should be a low cost alternative, if it's any good...

It's my understanding that Prairie Creations is working on a tallow and lanolin version that it's in the works. That should be a low cost alternative, if it's any good...

I can't remember were you in the test? Krissy's #17 was good and supposedly her new formulation is even better. I had a bowl of it I PIF'd simply because her FO clearly didn't agree with my skin...got a bad sting out of it.

I can't remember were you in the test? Krissy's #17 was good and supposedly her new formulation is even better. I had a bowl of it I PIF'd simply because her FO clearly didn't agree with my skin...got a bad sting out of it.

I wasn't in on the testing. I've used her new stuff and I like it pretty well. I'm interested to find out what happens with her lanolin version though... I'm thinking that it is in beta testing now... (I'm not involved in that testing though)

I'm not involved in the new test either. Her lanolin version should be interesting...its all in the mix. I remember a year ago when I first started looking at the Fat, that there were many BBers who said that lanolin really screws with their face. If she uses too much, it could be rough on some folks.

Is MWF really that good? I'm tried Susie's bubbles - not much slip, mama bears - like the scents and shave, VDH - a decent cheapy and clean scent, Willams is passable in a pinch. Ogalla bay rum + sandalwood is a great soap for the price. Where does MWF fall in the above array?

MWF (like any Tallow soap) is vastly superior to any of those you mentioned. Don't get me wrong, Irena, Sue, Sue and several other soapers make a nice product but Tallow soaps are really that much better!

Highly superior. I've used all of those except the Ogalla and those types of soaps just can't compete with a good tallow let alone one loaded with lanolin. Tallow soaps rock.

+1

Enjoy!

+1

Her final product is much improved over the #17 (which was no slouch). I'd be interested in trying her MWF like soap as well. She's got the tallow down if she could get the lanolin mix right this really would be a great/more affordable alternative than the Fat.

I used MWF twice this past week. Each time I use it I get better lather. Something about the formulation that leaves my face slightly irritated afterward regardless of which brush I use.

Harris soaps, QED Sandalwood Rose, PC soaps
:001_smile

I've got some Harris I haven't tried yet and some QED Sandalwood Rose on the way. I'm looking forward to trying them now that I've read this. Anything that can move in front of Tabac is good stuff.

Last edited:
I used MWF twice this past week. Each time I use it I get better lather. Something about the formulation that leaves my face slightly irritated afterward regardless of which brush I use.

I've got some Harris I haven't tried yet and some QED Sandalwood Rose on the way. I'm looking forward to trying them now that I've read this. Anything that can move in front of Tabac is good stuff.

I've been told that lanolin can be rough on some people. I'm not having problems, but that could be the issue.

I've been told that lanolin can be rough on some people. I'm not having problems, but that could be the issue.

I have heard the same thing. I suspect (without evidence) that people who are allergic to wool might find they get a little irritation from MWF, but that's really just speculation on my part. I find that my face feels extraordinarily soft and smooth after a good shave using MWF.

Top Bottom