What's new

For those who have short hair: Do you use shampoo?

I'm curious to know if other guys with really short hair bother with shampoo or not. I'm losing my hair a bit, and so I cut it short. Keep it less than 1/2", but it's usually around 1/4" long.

And I can't really see the justification to buy a decent shampoo, if there isn't much to shampoo in the first place. :001_huh:
 
Speedwagon said:
I'm curious to know if other guys with really short hair bother with shampoo or not. I'm losing my hair a bit, and so I cut it short. Keep it less than 1/2", but it's usually around 1/4" long.

And I can't really see the justification to buy a decent shampoo, if there isn't much to shampoo in the first place. :001_huh:

It's all about personal care and hygiene. Shampoo is a cleanser. Whether you have longer hair like mine, or shorter hair, keeping your scalp and hair clean equates to not having body odor. At the least, use Suave, an inexpensive shampoo, to eliminate any odor. Even with my longer hair, I buy Aussie Shampoo products, which are inexpensive, yet have a pleasant scent.

Randy
 

Sue

Merit Award
Vendor
Here's my two cents on shampoo..... I use cheap shampoo to clean my shower walls, chrome and glass doors of soap scum. Does a 'sparkling clean' great job. The more expensive brands do not do as well. "They" sell shower scum cleaner for several dollars a bottle and I've never found one that does as well as shampoo. Shampoo that sells for about 88 cents a bottle is best. I've tried a couple quality shampoos and they work about as well as the Shower Cleaners, not very well.

So that is my round-about way of saying that I think a better quality shampoo would be better for your hair and it should be used daily. I think not shampooing the accumulated oils from your hair daily would be damaging.
Sue
 
I have short, thinning hair, and I shampoo and condition religiously. Makes the scalp feel good, and prevents drying and flakes. I noticed a substantial difference when I switched from cheapo supermarket shampoo/conditioner to a higher quality one (Baxters, etc.)
 
I have similar hair to Scotto's and switching to a shampoo like Baxter's made a significant difference. Previously I'd tried Aveda, Kiss My Face, M.O.P., etc. However, my hair is also fine, so I don't use conditioner- it weighs it down, and my hair/scalp is definitely not dry.
 
I HAVE to shampoo daily, there's no curing my "bed head" otherwise. If I don't shampoo I look like a Guinea Pig.
proxy.php
 
Sue said:
Here's my two cents on shampoo..... I use cheap shampoo to clean my shower walls, chrome and glass doors of soap scum. Does a 'sparkling clean' great job. The more expensive brands do not do as well. "They" sell shower scum cleaner for several dollars a bottle and I've never found one that does as well as shampoo. Shampoo that sells for about 88 cents a bottle is best. I've tried a couple quality shampoos and they work about as well as the Shower Cleaners, not very well.

So that is my round-about way of saying that I think a better quality shampoo would be better for your hair and it should be used daily. I think not shampooing the accumulated oils from your hair daily would be damaging.
Sue
Excellent information Sue! Perhaps this is the answer to weekly razor cleaning?
 

Sue

Merit Award
Vendor
Ron,
It might be worth a try. Let us know if you do. Many years ago, I used to groom dogs and give them their pretty haircuts. I made my own dog shampoo mix using human shampoo as a base with additives specific to the animals needs, i.e., detangler, bluing, pyrethrins, etc. If it will clean human hair why wouldn't it clean badger hair, another animal.

It really does a great job cleaning the shower. Laundry detergent cleans the whirlpool tub jets :)
Sue
 
I have short hair, and I have not really figured out if there is any difference if I just use a bar of soap, or shampoo. I always use gel in my hair, so "the finish" always looks the same.
 
rtaylor61 said:
It's all about personal care and hygiene. Shampoo is a cleanser. Whether you have longer hair like mine, or shorter hair, keeping your scalp and hair clean equates to not having body odor. At the least, use Suave, an inexpensive shampoo, to eliminate any odor. Even with my longer hair, I buy Aussie Shampoo products, which are inexpensive, yet have a pleasant scent.

Randy

Well, I wasn't trying to imply not cleaning the head, just whether one uses shampoos, or just soap(or whatever one uses to clean the body with). That's more where I was going, than shampoo or nothing.
 
Since I have short hair (a "flat top" haircut) - I always just used soap, shampoo or whatever.

I must say, though - Nancy Boy hair care products have REALLY turned my opinion around. A year ago, I would have said - "Eh - anything works and it's all the same." However, after using NB shampoo (and even moreso with the conditioner) my hair (and beard - I rub some shampoo into my whiskers) have NEVER been softer!! :redface:
 
HlSheppard said:
Since I have short hair (a "flat top" haircut) - I always just used soap, shampoo or whatever.

I must say, though - Nancy Boy hair care products have REALLY turned my opinion around. A year ago, I would have said - "Eh - anything works and it's all the same." However, after using NB shampoo (and even moreso with the conditioner) my hair (and beard - I rub some shampoo into my whiskers) have NEVER been softer!! :redface:

Ah. This is the kind of info I'm digging for. Whether or not it's worth the extra money on a DECENT shampoo. Thanx!
 

Sue

Merit Award
Vendor
Mitchell,
IMO, it's well worth the small amount more for a good shampoo. You guys go the extra mile in shaving/grooming, your hair deserves a good product. If your hair is overly dry then a good treatment conditioner is in order too.
Sue
 
HlSheppard said:
Since I have short hair (a "flat top" haircut) - I always just used soap, shampoo or whatever.

I must say, though - Nancy Boy hair care products have REALLY turned my opinion around. A year ago, I would have said - "Eh - anything works and it's all the same." However, after using NB shampoo (and even moreso with the conditioner) my hair (and beard - I rub some shampoo into my whiskers) have NEVER been softer!! :redface:
Howard I must echo your sentiments. I NEVER used styling gel or any of that fancy stuff. Now I use Nancy Boy Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Gel almost every day. It has given my (thinning?) hair new body and volume. Great stuff. Can not recommend it too highly.
 
Sue said:
Ron,
It might be worth a try. Let us know if you do. Many years ago, I used to groom dogs and give them their pretty haircuts. I made my own dog shampoo mix using human shampoo as a base with additives specific to the animals needs, i.e., detangler, bluing, pyrethrins, etc. If it will clean human hair why wouldn't it clean badger hair, another animal.

It really does a great job cleaning the shower. Laundry detergent cleans the whirlpool tub jets :)
Sue
Thank you SUe. I'll have to give it a shot.
 
I re-read my earlier post and I want to clarify:

Just so nobody thinks I'm any kind of "shill" for Nancy Boy. I've used plenty of "high-end" or "salon only" products and I have NEVER believed that I saw a difference.

That's why for the majority of my life I didn't believe one was different from another. This stuff from NB is REALLY different.

I didn't get along too well with their shaving products (don't know why), but I have yet to try other products from them that didn't literally knock me off my feet. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bath soap. Just incredible!
 
I shampoo more for dematological / scalp reasons than for hair reasons anyway. I've not really found much benefit from hair "thickening" shampoos or anything like that. I tend to go for shampoos that make my hair feel soft after rinsing, which is more or less any level above suave type stuff.

I'll have to try NB and see what all the fuss is about.
 
Top Bottom