What's new

For those who don't yet know... Presenting... Grooming Dept Soap

New banner on the main page says that he's shipping on Friday. Man, I'm gonna' have a groove wore in the sidewalk around my mailbox.

Also, the more I look at the scent profiles for Wonderland, Angel, and the next Mallard, the more I'm interested. Very different and interesting.

Mohammad told me that there's very little cinnamon in it so you might be ok. I'd recommend that the first shave you have with it you remove a small sample and lather it in a bowl instead of directly on the tub. Seeing that these soaps do sell out fairly quickly it'll probably be out of stock by the time you get your tub. What I'm getting at here is that you'll have no problem selling or trading your new non lathered tub (with a small sample removed) if it's something that doesn't agree with your skin.

As far as anyone else having a reaction, this one is a new scent so I don't believe anyone has gotten to try it yet.

By the way there will be more Magnolia added to the site this Friday if you still want that one.
Thanks @dfoulk, I decided to try one of vegan soaps from your recommendation a while back, I usually use a scoop with my softer soaps and creams and lather it in a separate bowl, I've got some soaps go bad on me because I've had it for too long when I lathered my wet brush in the tub since I don't shave everyday and also for the reason you've mentioned that I can get rid of it easier if it hasn't been adulterated.

Actually only had one that went bad which was the CRSW Select V.2 SAVON No.1 which I got when they first came out, not really sure if it's ruined but it smells different and had turned yellow.

If it doesn't work out for me, I'll most likely get the Magnolia and the Cedrus coming out next week sounds interesting. I still got some soaps and creams that had only been used once or twice and some that I still haven't tried that I have had for over a year or more.
I trust your judgement having tried so many soaps that I just had to try this, nothing like a slick vegan soap with great post shave feel. I like tallow based as well but if someone can make a vegan based shaving soap that performs better or just as good as the top tallow based shaving soaps tells me that they know what their doing, since most prefer tallow based shaving soaps.

I will just have to shave more often, thanks for all your helpful advice.

If any of you guys want to try a sample of gd soaps let me know. You’ll have to pay shipping but have most of their scents

Mohammad sent me a sample of a new test version that he's working on so that I could try it.
The stuff was so slick that I actually had a hell of a time hanging onto my razor.

I even switched the Timeless handle to a Wolfman WRH1 which has a really nice sharp raised knurl to it. About the grippiest handle that I own and I still had a hard time with it if the slightest bit of soap touched my hands. Seriously the slickest soap I've ever tried by a large margin. Dare I say too slick.

I haven't experienced any trouble hanging onto a razor in years, until now. Ever since moving away from the Edwin Jagger razor that I used to own.

Mohammad sent me a sample of a new test version that he's working on so that I could try it.
The stuff was so slick that I actually had a hell of a time hanging onto my razor.

I even switched the Timeless handle to a Wolfman WRH1 which has a really nice sharp raised knurl to it. About the grippiest handle that I own and I still had a hard time with it if the slightest bit of soap touched my hands. Seriously the slickest soap I've ever tried by a large margin. Dare I say too slick.

I haven't experienced any trouble hanging onto a razor in years, until now. Ever since moving away from the Edwin Jagger razor that I used to own.

I'm intrigued. Slickness is probably the thing I value most in soaps. Hopefully your sample we be his soap base down the road.

I'm intrigued. Slickness is probably the thing I value most in soaps. Hopefully your sample we be his soap base down the road.

Yeah, I'm going to get some outside hose water and test it as well. We have really hard water here but I use a water softener to go from some of the worst water on the planet to some of the very best. The hose water is untreated. I'm curious to see how well the soap does with the terrible water because with the good water I'd actually recommend backing off of the slickness a bit. It's next level slickness here. No fun at all to fight to hang onto your razor the entire shave.

Last edited:
Dfoulk been a great resource for me too changed my outlook on soaps
A Pox upon him, a Pox I tell you. I just added up the cost of soaps I have purchased since following his cursed recommendations - over $500 spent on T&S, Nuavia, L&L, SS, WK, etc. OK, I confess my enjoyment of shaving has increased dramatically and these are indeed some of the best being produced. He has provided a valuable resource to weak minded individuals with no self control such as myself leading me to at least buy quality as I am hopelessly addicted and committed to finding the holy grail of soaps.

A Pox upon him, a Pox I tell you. I just added up the cost of soaps I have purchased since following his cursed recommendations - over $500 spent on T&S, Nuavia, L&L, SS, WK, etc. OK, I confess my enjoyment of shaving has increased dramatically and these are indeed some of the best being produced. He has provided a valuable resource to weak minded individuals with no self control such as myself leading me to at least buy quality as I am hopelessly addicted and committed to finding the holy grail of soaps.

You see you're likely looking at this all wrong. Think about all of the soaps I've likely saved you from needlessly buying in looking for the very best ones. All said and done, I'm saving you money. That and all the trouble that I had to go through to find them.

I don't even want to think about all of the items I've bought in order to find the ones that I really like.

You see you're likely looking at this all wrong. Think about all of the soaps I've likely saved you from needlessly buying in looking for the very best ones. All said and done, I'm saving you money. That and all the trouble that I had to go through to find them.

I don't even want to think about all of the items I've bought in order to find the ones that I really like.
Yep. The most expensive soap is the one you don’t use.

Thank you @dfoulk for all the recommendations and feedback you have provided, it started with the Nuavia line for me, Sudsy Soapery and now Grooming Dept.
I've been trying to lower my soap and cream rotation, I even avoided the soap forum for a while but got lost on the razor forum and that cost me even more, lately I've been spending time in the blade forum and I'm awaiting shipment of a pack of Personna 74 NOS de blades, now I'm back here and I'm hearing about a shaving soap so slick that it's difficult to hold the handle.

How can you not try a soap with these properties?
I'm excited to try all the shaving gear coming soon which is one of the best part of this hobby is knowing you got a package on the way.
My wallet however doesn't feel the same =).

Mohammad spent the night in the hospital with a friend and is away from his workshop. Soaps to start shipping Monday but he will issue a refund if desired.

No worries on my end and appreciate his transparency. We all have enough soap to tide us over.

Mohammad spent the night in the hospital with a friend and is away from his workshop. Soaps to start shipping Monday but he will issue a refund if desired.

No worries on my end and appreciate his transparency. We all have enough soap to tide us over.

It's not like we don't have enough soap to get us by for a couple extra days. As long as the delay is communicated then it's never really a problem for me. I hope everything is going well for Mohammad's friend and that they're feeling better soon.

I tried sharing that with my wife about all the money you saved me, I only received a giant eye roll. Seriously, thanks for all your testing and recommendations. Your passion for the hobby is contagious.

It's not like we don't have enough soap to get us by for a couple extra days. As long as the delay is communicated then it's never really a problem for me. I hope everything is going well for Mohammad's friend and that they're feeling better soon.

Having seen this here, I know what the deal is and I am not concerned about my order. Caring for friends and family come before shaving soap or "work". With that being said, I hope what I have to say isn't taken as rude or ill-intentioned:
As a point of constructive criticism, it is a little disappointing that I placed an order on the 14, and the website mentioned that orders were going to ship on the 17th, and here it is the 20th and my order status still says "unfulfilled". Were it not for the above messages posted to a message board that I just happen to frequent, I would have no idea what the deal was, and I would be quite unimpressed with the customer service of Grooming Dept. The delay was not communicated to me.
I understand he wants to be with his friend, and I'm not even a little bit upset by that. But he's holding a bunch of peoples' money, and a little effort to place a brief explanation on the main page of his site would not be asking too much. There's a responsibility assumed there, and it's not being handled as well as it should be.

Top Bottom