What's new

For-get Everclear for pipe cleaning.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
proxy.php

190 Proof! It will take plating off a Gillette Fatboy!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
:confused1

The Everclear I have is 190 proof.
They sell a 151 proof version, but there is also a 190 proof.

$EverClear.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ahh, everyone looks at posts with the lens of their own locale, myself included.
I know that Everclear in its 190 proof mode is NOT available everywhere. It is here for me, so I tend to think everyone has access to it.

there is a 151 proof rum as well.... I tend to use vodka or whisky when i can't get grain (PA liquor laws n all that jazz)

California has Bacardi 151, but not 190 Everclear (that I recall seeing).

I picked up a bottle last time I passed through Arizona.

Yes, I took a small sip.
No, I won't be doing that again.

I've never seen everclear 190 in any of my travels. I'm not sure why but I'm slightly terrified by the idea of it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've never seen everclear 190 in any of my travels. I'm not sure why but I'm slightly terrified by the idea of it.

It's great stuff as a solvent or for making AS, but I'm with you. The fact that it is sold in shops that cater to the consumption of it is what is frightening.
I can't believe that anyone would think that adding it to something and drinking it would be a good idea!

:lol:

There are recipes for making imitation liquors out of it (cut down, of course) such as Kahlua, limoncello, etc. However, there are some very potent recipes, too. One that I recall mixed one part Everclear and one part Tia Maria over ice.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My local Total Wines has a Polish liquor that's 192 proof. I doubt that extra one percent will will remove any more sludge or kill any more brain cells.

State and or local laws limit the alcohol content of liquor which can be sold. Here in GA, at least in non-dry counties, 190 proof Everclear can be purchased. However, we can't buy extremely high gravity beer. For example, Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA at 18% ABV is agin' the law. Go figure. I use the 95% Everclear to make Limoncello.

I never knew they even made a 151 Everclear. we used to make Jungle juice/Trashcan punch with Everclear. I remember waking up one day after to see that the washtub we'd used had a distinct color texture difference below the punch line. looked like it had taken the galvenization clean off.

or spike a watermellon with the bottle...

and for a brief period, a few of us would do a shot, then chase with coke, hoping the caffine would get the booze flowing faster. the follies of youth...

Everclear might be the most popular brand name, but just ask for Grain Alcohol. I use Graves 190 proof.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was blissfully using 151 all this time :lol: maybe I'll have sweeter pipes now.

There are recipes for making imitation liquors out of it (cut down, of course) such as Kahlua, limoncello, etc. However, there are some very potent recipes, too. One that I recall mixed one part Everclear and one part Tia Maria over ice.

Not so bad... you simply end up with 95-proof Tia Maria. I might think about a 1:2 mix to bring it down to 63 proof.
Potent, but as long as you realize that it is more than twice as strong as a typical drink, and you have a taste for drinking spirits straight.....

What is intended use of this stuff from its producers?

Any Canadians know if we have something similar up here? I've been using vodka but it doesn't seem to do such a great job.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What is intended use of this stuff from its producers?

Any Canadians know if we have something similar up here? I've been using vodka but it doesn't seem to do such a great job.

It's sold in liquor stores, not hardware shops, so I fully presume the intended purpose is consumption rather than as a solvent.
Several notes on the label support that idea. See the label in the picture in Post #2

Top Bottom