What's new

For all you lathe owners, a question.

I don't have a lathe, only a drill press and sander. I want to try my hand at making a brush handle so I have rigged up a Mickey Mouse attachment so I can try and turn on the drill press.

Now as to turning tools, I would like to buy just one to be able to get the raw wood into a somewhat round shape so I can begin shaping it with other things, like files, rasps, sand paper, etc.

Rather than just one tool, I see this set advertised for beginners and would like to know if you think it would serve my purpose.
================================
Our pen turners set includes the three tools you need for basic pen turning, a 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/8" parting tool and 1/2" oval skew chisel.
====================================

I have no clue what to get.

thanks

Use a dremmel, (or similar) set up for rotating against the spin of the drill. A drill press typically has too much wobble and run-out for using as a lathe. The sandpaper, files, and rasps probably would work OK, again work against the rotation, and keep the tool moving (completly contrary to using a chisel)

I have cut off small tubing and rod using this method needing square results successfully. I have also sanded larger items (similar size to a brush handle, worked great), but not done bulk shaping.

Phil

Very interesting ideas, thanks.

My 1st go around before considering the chisels was a moderate disaster.

I took a 2" x 2" x 6" to the belt sander and, by eyeball, knocked off the corners, trying to get it as round as possible for the drill press.

Ahem, it wasn't, and trying to get it to spin with any degree of uniformity was impossible. Luckily it was a test piece and a learning experience so I could work out a better technique.

The idea of a Dremel + Drill Press is interesting and I will play with that and see how it goes.

I have this on order and will try and figure out a way to make it useful.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DPLATHE.html

Hey! That is an interesting looking idea for using a drill press to turn small items. Looks like it is designed for pen turning. Let us know how it works for brushes.

Here's a handy looking jig for turning your drill press into a mini lathe.This is from the book Caposoto's Woodworking Wisdom written by Rosario Caposoto.I haven't tried making or using the jig cause I have a lathe. Looks like it would work for your needs.

Here's a handy looking jig for turning your drill press into a mini lathe.This is from the book Caposoto's Woodworking Wisdom written by Rosario Caposoto.I haven't tried making or using the jig cause I have a lathe. Looks like it would work for your needs.

Nice! This will answer some concerns about the bearings by keeping them "loaded" with some downward pressure, and provides a tool rest.

Phil

Not to dissuade you from trying these solutions but I would advise you to be careful. When you're using a tool in a different capacity there's the old adage
"Sh**te will occur". I used things from the drill press to a spindle sander and I finally said to myself, get the lathe. Try ebay, your local paper etc to see if anyone has one for sale or check out some of the various sellers on the web. You're looking for a mini or midi lathe. You can get them for reasonable prices just shop around.

Thanks very much Spanx, that's very useful.

I had tried using the hanger bolts and then discovered something better.

It's called a Bottle Stopper Mandrel.
http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Bottle-Stopper-Mandrel/dp/B0035Y5WN8

I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it would do well.

Thanks very much Spanx, that's very useful.

I had tried using the hanger bolts and then discovered something better.

It's called a Bottle Stopper Mandrel.
http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Bottle-Stopper-Mandrel/dp/B0035Y5WN8

I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it would do well.

I use that tool in my lathe. After I drill the brush hole, I drill and tap the bottom of the hole to accept the Bottle Stopper Mandrel, and chuck it in a drill chuck on the headstock side of my lathe. Works Great! I still use a live center on the tailstock side to stabilize the brush blank.
Happy Turning!

Top Bottom