What's new

Food you hate to love

proxy.php

This is the kind of corn beef I like. Lean with a little mustard on pumpernickel rye.

I love Spam and Vienna Sausage! Most people will have that yuck face when I mention those two. I'm from Hawaii and we all love our Spam. Highest per capita consumption of Spam in the nation. Hooray.......we are number 1.
I like both of those items. With Spam I sub it for sausage to make "Spambalaya". I like the original best but the bacon flavor is good too.

“It's fun telling people you go to McDonald's. They always give you that look like, 'Oh, I didn't know I was better than you.'” - Jim Gaffigan

Later in the routine, he says something about how no one ever admits to eating at McDonald's, yet they sell a billion burgers a year in the US. "I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think that means everybody is lying!"

So, yeah--I like Big Macs and I'm sure there are a lot of closet Big Mac eaters out there.

“It's fun telling people you go to McDonald's. They always give you that look like, 'Oh, I didn't know I was better than you.'” - Jim Gaffigan

Later in the routine, he says something about how no one ever admits to eating at McDonald's, yet they sell a billion burgers a year in the US. "I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think that means everybody is lying!"

So, yeah--I like Big Macs and I'm sure there are a lot of closet Big Mac eaters out there.

I think there are some people over compensating for those that abstain.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ice cream and hot dogs. Love them but in moderation only these days. Nothing like a Portillos Chicago dog! Mmmmmmmmm!

For me it's hot pepper jelly pored over cream cheese served on a spiced (think olive oil and Italian spice) cracker.

Served with beer or white sparkling wine.

I went to Trader Joe's, once, and they were promoting their pepper jelly and slicing brie by offering samples of the two, on crackers. The pepper jelly and brie cheese pairing has become one of my favorites! It's quite good.

Lately I'm finding pizza will give me a bit of reflux. A shame because I could live on pizza alone.
This thread just took a different turn to food I love that does not love me. Sorry if I responded previously. There are not too many foods I like but feel guilty about eating. Perhaps I am in denial about what, say, highly fatty foods are doing to me. Liverwurst though might be over the line even for me. Perhaps even calves' liver. I love these things, and do not eat them that often, but they still have a feel or potentially doing damage to me.

Raw oysters, and I suppose raw clams and even raw sushi might come in this category, too. In that I love these things--and apparently cannot stop myself completely from eating them--but would not want to lose my liver or develop heart worms over them.

But as to food I love that plays havoc with my system that I sometimes eat anyway, Popeye's spicy fried chicken, at least in sufficient quantity, gives me terrible gastric upset. But I have been known to eat too much of it anyway. I think the problem is capsaicin oil, because other things containing that can trigger the same thing. I do not have this problem with hot/spicy things in general it is very specific to Popeye's and a few other things. I do love it though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Popcorn.

Especially this:

upload_2018-3-24_12-12-42.jpeg

Perhaps I am in denial about what, say, highly fatty foods are doing to me.

Check out the "ketogenic diet" ... a few threads here on B&B, and lots of info out on the web. Fats may not be nearly as bad for you as you think, and even good for you. Carbs on the other hand ...

<Check out the "ketogenic diet" ... a few threads here on B&B, and lots of info out on the web. Fats may not be nearly as bad for you as you think, and even good for you. Carbs on the other hand ...>

A fair point, Doc!

Lard, a few times a year I will get my mom some pig fat. Not just any pig fat but she insists on the leaf fat from around the kidneys. Throw 5 pounds in a pot with a whole unskinned yellow onion. Cook on low heat until the cracklings separate and decant off the clear fat. Turns snow white when it cools.
Don’t have bacon fat to cook your eggs, use lard. Flakiest pie crust ever, use lard. Need a nice gravy for that round steak, use lard.
The ultimate use is making potica (nut roll) using the cracklings ground up instead of walnuts.

Lard reminds me that that the Italian lardo--truly wonderful stuff--is probably in there for me, despite Doc4's completely defensible commentary that fat may be good for us all!

Top Bottom