What's new

Flying The Friendly Skies with Our Razors

Hi Guys,

Have you had much success passing airport inspections with your DE blades?

In the past, I would breeze through security with my disposables. After reading the wiki on the topic I'm curious if it is even worth attempting to pass through security with a pack of Feathers in my carry on luggage.

What say you? Thanks!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to B&B! DE blades are specifically listed by the TSA as being NOT allowed. I would check my razor as well, even if it is unloaded, just to be safe.

Here's something to ponder. DE blades, as well as SE blades and straights are prohibited from carry on luggage. Any liquids/gels over the 3/1/1 rule are as well. So why try and risk taking something on that can prevent you from leaving security with enough time to make your flight?

Mail blades in advance, buy them once you arrive, or check your bag. Plus, if you check your bag, you have room to pack multiple soaps, aftershaves, etc.

This is great information for me. I just started DE shaving awhile back but haven't traveled for work since. Next trip is coming up so now I know that I need to make other arrangements.

-Josh

In a nutshell, DE and straights, not allowed in carry-on; though TSA acknowledges they are seeing a comeback in the use of such devices.
http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors.html
As the link says it is supposed to be safe to carry the razor if the blades are in checked baggage. Personally I figure TSA inspectors have their share of boneheads so I would not trust them to leave any traditional shave gear alone and would check it all or leave it at home.

Couple of weeks ago I was told at a European airport: "if we want to take it, we have the right to take it."
Subject of discussion was a small blade pocket knife, that actually is allowed under the European rules.
Just don't take the risk with something you value. You lose, because you have a flight to catch, and the airport security guy doesn't.

After checking out the link above, it looks like the only option that you have if your just bringing a carryon is a disposable. I'd be looking for the first antique shop to try and find a razor. Then use it and mail it home.

Pete<:-}

After checking out the link above, it looks like the only option that you have if your just bringing a carryon is a disposable. I'd be looking for the first antique shop to try and find a razor. Then use it and mail it home.

Pete<:-}

+1
I have found it not worth the potential hassle with TSA. My standard operating procedure now depends on length of trip. If more than two days, I place blades in checked luggage while the DE razor stays with me in my carry-on bag. If it's a short trip, I leave the DE razor home and bring the old Sensor Excel. Either way I carry a brush and a either a shave stick or a small tube of cream.

I recently did the short-trip approach. I found it a refreshing change of pace - I focused on technique with the cartridge, and realized that since shaving with DE my technique is much better (less pressure, etc), and got a great shave.

Rule one of travel: don't pack something you can't afford to lose or can't do without.

For me, it's been Bic Sensitive or Gillette Good News when I travel.

For Christmas, I bought myself a custom mach 3 handle that I plan on using as my travel razor from now on.

+1

I recently did the short-trip approach. I found it a refreshing change of pace - I focused on technique with the cartridge, and realized that since shaving with DE my technique is much better (less pressure, etc), and got a great shave.

I agree. I like the change of pace and the chance to try different things. I travel often enough that I can rotate different razors and even different cartridges (Mach 3 vs. Trac II) while using DE or injector at home. I contend that the Mach 3 is still the best all around razor for normal men who want a single pass, no skill shave. But the Trac II works well with good DE technique. And I find that switching around between razors/blades/what have you keeps me attentive and actually improves my technique. By not sticking to any one setup for more than a week I actually pay more attention and can adjust my touch to the needs at hand, thus getting better, more precise shaves.

You raise a good point. I don't have a lot of DE razors but when I travel by airline I bring an inexpensive razor that isn't one of my favorites. If it is somehow lost in transit I can live with that. I would never travel with my favorite DE razors.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
If you have carry-on only (which I prefer) I have a Gillette Guard single blade cartridge razor which is efficient and nick-free and meets TSA rules. Marketed in India, West Coast Shaving imports and stocks them. Just look under "other razors".

I'm a newbie but I have been thinking about how to wet shave while traveling. I'm leaning towards flying with a Mach 3. I know I can get a shaving cream in a tube for traveling. My question is about the brush. Any issues with packing a badger brush wet for several hours while traveling?

I'm a newbie but I have been thinking about how to wet shave while traveling. I'm leaning towards flying with a Mach 3. I know I can get a shaving cream in a tube for traveling. My question is about the brush. Any issues with packing a badger brush wet for several hours while traveling?

General rule of thumb is you never want to put away a wet brush. Many of us have synthetics that are much faster drying for traveling.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Drop by a pharmacy and see if they have a large pill bottle for you. Drill a fer holes in the top and bottom to let your brush breathe and continue to dry out when traveling. If the pharmacy doesn't want anything for it, drop a buck or two in a donation jar. Heck, drop a buck or two in anyways! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom