• Hybrid

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Don't eat them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Homemade just off the comal flour tortillas instead of a fork for my breakfast utinsil or just beans on them.
Yellow corn tortillas for my tacos.

Prefer corn. Corn goes back thousands of years in Mexico and Central America.

Flour goes back to when the Spanish came to the New World. They preferred wheat to corn. Modern flour tortillas are usually made from all-purpose flour, shortening or oil, baking powder, salt. Not as nutritious as corn tortillas.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I guess hybrid is the beat definition. I don’t eat corn or wheat flour. I came up with a paleo version that has almond, tapioca, coconut and buckwheat flours

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Flour for burritos,
corn for tacos and enchiladas.

For serving on the side... definitely corn.
Homemade just off the comal flour tortillas instead of a fork for my breakfast utinsil or just beans on them.
Yellow corn tortillas for my tacos.

I agree with all the above, and I add that flour is what you need for chimichangas (basically a fried burrito) and flautas (but taquitos need to be corn).

It really is a matter of application (and who's making them) as to what I want my tortilla made from. One of my Mexican "other Moms" used to make both, depending on what she was making. Oh, I remember a stack of fresh, buttered, flour tortillas at breakfast.

Is wheat even grown in Mexico?
(I don't know of any place in Texas where it grows well.)

Heck, yeah, and plenty of it. In fact, Mexico is where Norman Borlaug developed high-yielding wheat that resisted stem rust (and won the Nobel Peace Prize for doing so).

martym

My grandmother would only put butter on the very 1st tortilla of the morning so whoever got up 1st got that special tortilla. My grandma could make 30 tacos with 2 eggs and 1 piece of bacon. We didn’t know any better. It filled our bellies.

Well, my personal preference is corn, they´re lighter, healthier and more versatile than flour. The thing in my country is that there are sub-cultures in all of it. If you visit northern cities the gastronomy is going to be very different from the Altiplano Central, Bajío, South or Mayan regions.

And that´s where the tortilla came in game. In the north states they prefer the wheat flour tortillas, there are some restaurants that don´t even have corn ones or they use them only for fried dishes like Nachos and so... and in central México the main staple is corn tortillas made with nixtamalized corn flour, the nixtamalization is a cooking process that enriches the nutritional value of the corn flour, eliminates toxins and gives better flavor. Another reason for me to prefer corn ones..

Nixtamalization

But in central México the tortillas are prefered lighter, slimmer, and in south states are preferred more chunky.

And apart came a line of other corn based food like Tlayudas, Itacates, Tlacoyos, Huaraches, Gorditas, Sopes, and a variety of tamales, made in corn or banana tree leaves, both sweet and salty...

Cheers

martym

image.jpg

I've recently started to commit sacrilege and started serving barbecue with corn tortillas instead of cheap white bread. Pulled pork, chuck, shoulder clod, brisket.. some gochujang or sriracha barbecue sauce, with pickled red onions. Barbecue tacos. It's like the best delivery vehicle for all the flavors. Corn tortilla work for gluten free or low gluten diet folks too.

I've recently started to commit sacrilege and started serving barbecue with corn tortillas instead of cheap white bread. Pulled pork, chuck, shoulder clod, brisket.. some gochujang or sriracha barbecue sauce, with pickled red onions. Barbecue tacos. It's like the best delivery vehicle for all the flavors. Corn tortilla work for gluten free or low gluten diet folks too.
Sounds pretty good. You could do a tamarind and hot pepper sauce to go with the pork. It would be a natural fit.

martym

At the ranch we only take corn tortillas. We heat them on the pit when we r bbq’ ing.
We harvested a small wild hog once and put it in a foil pan with picante sauce and left it on the pit all day long. When we returned we heated corn tortillas and just used those to pull off the meat and eat just like that.

The only sacrilege I see here is using gochujang or sriracha on brisket.
:001_tt2:

Top Bottom