What's new

Flipping a razor

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and while it might just be me I wonder why.

Why do a lot of these YouTube honers flip a razor with the edge down towards the hone? I’m sure there is no right or wrong here but darn, it makes me cringe.

I'll out myself: I do this. I know it is wrong, and I have dinged an edge doing it, so it is not just a "theoretical" knowledge... But, nevertheless, because of the way I hold the razor when I hone, it just feels really awkward to flip correctly. So, rather than change, I just incorporate a deliberate lift off the stone at each end.

My rationale for doing it wrong is twofold: one, I'm more focussed on getting decent edge and paying attention to that stuff, and two: I have no intention of videoing myself honing and spreading the contagion! :p

I do strop correctly, but for the time being, honing feels like a very different activity. Perhaps over time I'll learn.

I do it both ways.

On narrower blades, I tend to flip with the edge down, on some wide blades I flip on the spine if they have an awkward grip and I cannot hold them properly.

Another reason I switch between these two ways is depending on the amount of stone I want to/can use and how quickly I want to get rid of the slurry.

I still think flipping the blade with the edge down is riskier.

I’ve been exploring a grip in which the thumb is on the corner of the spine roughly even with the stabilizer.

The grip is the same on the “away” & “return” strokes but the only way I can maintain that particular grip is to flip edge-side down with a wrist rotation.

The razor feels nice and stable and the pressure feels basically the same from one side to the other but there’s always going to be little differences no matter how hard you try to keep it the same on each side.

My mom, of all people, taught me how to strop a razor, at least conceptually, when I was a kid and curious about my grandpa's razor and strop. She was adamant about flipping it on the spine so as not to roll the edge and I guess it stuck with me because when I started trying to figure out how to hone (before going to youtube, or coming here) I flipped on the spine because I could still hear her saying that, in my head.

She also taught me how to hand crank a tractor without breaking my arm. Not a skill I've needed so far in my life, but still good to know.

She also taught me how to hand crank a tractor without breaking my arm. Not a skill I've needed so far in my life, but still good to know.
Me Maw taught me to crank a old Howard Rotary Hoe, with decompression lever, so as not to rip ya thumb off, if you let go the lever in the ''right'' spot, that would rip you thumb off.

edge down, feels so yick rolling the spine, too used to it now to change me way of skinning the cat :D

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I hone late at night, after work and I flip with the edge down. I frequently hone to the point of exhaustion. I wish I had a dollar for every edge I fussed over to get a perfect edge, just to bring to a Trans Ark and then banged the edge on the Ark because I'm tired. The horror....... Well, back to the bevel setter. Good thing I like to hone.

I should have enough sense to just stop, and continue when I'm fully awake.........

As a child, my grandfather told me, “You can form good habits just as easily as bad ones”. Just start with a better technique and it will become your normal muscle memory - no need to tempt fate and risk your edge hitting the stone.

Not “wrong” to me but a little complicated when honing.
NO WAY I could pull this off when stropping.

Top Bottom