What's new

Flexi Fan Club

This thread is for fans of the Pearl Flexi, whether safety bar (SB) or open comb (OC).

I understand from some reports that earlier revisions of the Flexi had some QC and blade alignment problems, but my understanding is Pearl has resolved these. I obtained a SB Flexi from a fine B&B member in April 2023, and am impressed with both the build quality and shave results.

Enjoy your Flexi!

Tuesday's Flexi shave...

Razor: Pearl Flexi (5)
Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
Pre-shave: Shave Secret oil
Lather: Palmolive cream (red tube)

To save a little time this morning, I applied a few drops of shave oil on my neck and hand-applied the shave cream. I turned the Flexi up to 5 and went south-to-north on my neck for the first pass. Excellent results and no irritation. Great shave!

Big fan and owner of pearls, very unrated. Yes, they have had some QA issues but they certain have evolved quickly. I admire they will take chances on new products. Flexi I have two, selling one..Got one for me and my dad, guess he just could get along with it. Now to be honest, both are new to the world of adjustables. Straight edge for the longest time, then slants, opens comb and lastly straight bar DEs. For me the Hammer and Blaze are pretty fun also. Also check my listing and you will my blade gap setting guide for the flexi. I have been scoping the open comb flexi for a while now. But I may just have to mow down the den first.....have fun

Inaugural shave with the Flexi this morning:

Pre-Shave
Warm shower
Soap/Cream
RazoRock Lime Soap Puck
Brush
Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic
Razor
The Flexi, of course
Blade
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (2nd use)
Aftershave
Thayer's Lemon WH
Fragrance
CO Bigelow No. 1999 Lemon Cologne
Rating
8/10
Comments
First shave with the Flexi. Used the puck to spread soap on the face and the Simpson brush to build a nice lather. My Parker Variant did a great job yesterday on 2.5 days growth, so I didn't have very much in the way of stubble. Set the Pearl on the 2.5 setting and went to town.

First impression - a very smooth three pass shave with practically no blade feel. I definitely could have dialed up for an even closer shave but wanted to get my technique down, hence the 8/10 rating. I never felt that I was going to nick or cut myself.

Overall, very impressed. I can't wait to try it out with a few days beard growth - probably on Monday to see how it goes. While I can't compare it to the Rex Ambassador, it punches way above its price point.

Second shave with the Flexi this morning:

Pre-Shave
Warm shower
Soap/Cream
A Cremo Cooling Mint Cream base with RazoRock Blue Barbershop Soap laid over the top.
Brush
Razor
The Flexi, of course
Blade
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (3rd use)
Aftershave
WH/Osage Rub Blend
Fragrance
Epsilon Blue Mediterranean
Rating
8/10
Comments
It's a hot one today in America's heartland - 102 degrees Fahrenheit. The Cremo cooling cream, Osage Rub mix and Blue Mediterraneum gave a nice refreshing feel!

Second shave with the Flexi. Face lathered with the Simpson brush - excellent.

I wish I could rate the shave higher, but I got some weepers on the neck right above my Adam's apple. Used the razor on the 2.5 setting for the WTB and XTG passes and dialed it down to 1.5 for the XTG pass.

Again, I'm impressed at how smooth this razor shaves. I still need to get better at angle as evidenced with the weepers. That's my fault, not the razor's. Still, a nice close shave - not BBS on the neck, but I do not try for that.

Cheers.

Day 3 with the Pearl Flexi this morning:

Pre-Shave
Warm shower
Soap/Cream
Cremo Cooling Mint Shave Stick
Brush
Razor
The Flexi, of course
Blade
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (4th use)
Aftershave
WH/Osage Rub Blend
Fragrance
Gillette Cool Wave AS
Rating
9/10
Comments
It's another blistering hot day in America's heartland - 102 degrees Fahrenheit. Really needing the cool vibe today - provided by Cremo Cooling Mint, Osage Rub mix and the Cool Wave AS.

Third shave with the Flexi. The Simpson brush did an excellent job lathering up the Cremo stick. SPOILER ALERT - For those who have never used the Cremo shaving stick, the soap does lather, unlike the tube cream. You get the Cremo slickness with a nice creamy lather.

Getting the feel for the Flexi. It's heavy but well balanced and in a good way. No problem with maneuverability at all. The 2.5 setting seems like a winner for me. If I have a heavier beard, I might dial up to a 3 or 3.5. We'll see Monday.

Happy Friday!

Monday's shave--

Razor: Flexi SB (5)
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
Pre-shave: Shave Secret (neck)
Lather: Hendrix Classics "James Bond" soap
Aftershave: Nivea "Sensitive Cool" balm (with some added menthol powder)

I turned the Flexi up to 5 today to increase the efficiency a bit and was not disappointed. The result was a very comfortable, efficient, and non-irritating shave. The Flexi is a great razor for me: It's very pleasant to use and performs very well!

Tuesday's shave -

Razor: Flexi (5)
Blade: Tatra Platinum (2)
Pre-shave: Proraso (white)
Lather: Proraso soap (green)
Aftershave: Razor Emporium "Barbershop" balm

The Flexi on 5 is pretty efficient. I seem to have caused a bit of irritation with my ATG pass on my neck (some tiny red bumps, but nothing I can feel). Post-shave feel is good. Next shave with the Flexi I am going to dial it down to 4.5 and see if it makes a difference in efficiency and comfort. It's a pleasure to use.

20230823_084101.jpg

Sunday's shave -

Razor: Flexi (SB) on 4
Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
Pre-shave: Shave Secret oil
Lather: Hendrix Classics "James Bond" soap
Aftershave: Nivea "Sensitive Cool" balm

Setting 4 might be on the low end of "efficient enough" for me. I was able to get a close shave but I did need to go over a couple of areas using a third pass. Usually a third pass causes me irritation, but it seems the pre-shave prep and lather worked well and I ended up without any irritation. Overall a high quality shave!

Reactions: Kix
Wanted to try out a new blade brand, PearlMax, and decided on my Flexi OC as the testbed. The PearlMax blade is Chinese, so not affiliated with Pearl brand razors.
20231208_224928.jpg

This is a "before bed" shave tonight so I can get to the gym a bit earlier tomorrow morning. My previous shave was around noon yesterday. Soap was RazoRock Gold.

I managed a DFS with this, 3 passes and cleanup, but the PearlMax so far is not nearly as sharp or smooth as the Suneko blade I used for my last seven shaves. The PearlMax, new, is about like the Suneko was around shaves 6 and 7. No complaints about the Flexi razor, which was set on 3. I like its heft and balance. And not so much as a weeper on the neck or upper lip.

But my face has that tingly, warm sunburned feel. The alum rub was lively. Did some witch hazel, but since I'm going to bed and my face is irritated, I went with the Gillette gel instead of a splash. I may try the blade in a day or so in another razor, like the Yaqi TFC, GameChanger, or 34C to see if a solid comb makes it a better blade.
20231208_233217~2.jpg

Top Bottom