What's new

Flex nib suggestions?

I'll still be looking for another pad of stationary to write on, and a different nib for the Franklin Christoph. Whatever I thought about using on a flex I'll divert into pipes. lol

My $5 A.A. Waterman with cracked cap and no sac sure has a soft as butter flexy gold nib. It's probably not worth it to pay to get it restored, but it serves well enough as a dip pen for FP inks. :001_tongu

Well well... I may be into something like that... and I do own a dremel...

If you fancy having a go at that, it's apparently possible with a Serwex flex pen. Various models available over at http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/ for less than a bottle of beer. Shipping is $2 internationally too.
I have a 1362 which by all accounts is very similar to an Ahab (i.e not very flexy without quite a bit of pressure and even then not a patch on a vintage Mabie Todd). Still, you can go wild with the dremel - spare nibs are $1.25 so could be fun to experiment with.

Vintage with some flex can be had cheapish though. Whilst we're on different sides of a big pond, this is my staple spot for vintage semi-flex : http://www.goodwriterspensales.com/pens-c-3.html Again we're not talking the flex of a dip pen, but for good quality everyday writers that will add some appreciable line variation to your cursive, you can't go wrong. Doubtless there's a USA equivalent.

Peyton St Pens offer the Eversharp Symphony with a flexy nib at $68. I don't have one but I've heard good things - there's a range of nib widths with a writing sample near the bottom: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/wah...le-14k-nib-new-old-stock-w-imperfections.html

Depends on what you want to spend and how much flex you're looking for. I think a lot of folks want to start out with something really flexible, but as you've already discussed, very flexy and FP = $$$$$
No harm in starting slowly IMO

I looked at the Serwex pens - not very thrilled with what I saw, so if I end up going this route I'll probably get some Noodler's nibs and play with a Dremel. A link on that web page linked to another page with pictures of nibs with slits cut into the tines.

As I'm not too enthused about vintage fountain pen aesthetics, I'm suspecting that I will either 1) not get a flex pen beyond a regular Noodler's flex nib, or 2) get a Dremel and try the Noodler's modification. Since I'm starting out, it'll probably be #1 for now.

Unless I get bored. :001_tt2:

I was merely thinking about inexpensive ways to add some more interest into my handwriting that a line variation from a flexy nib would provide. :)

I found this article while surfing the net - thought it might be worth a try. Too bad I don't have a Dremel!

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/240492-noodlers-ahab-ease-my-flex-mod/

Very cool! I hated my Ahab. It would never write, but I'd like to try grinding one of those nibs to gain some extra flex.

-Andy

Edit: I'll add that I really like the Namiki Falcon and Platinum 3776, both with Soft Fine semi-flex nibs. The Pilot I had with a #10 FA nib (flexible) had difficulty starting and railroaded too much for my liking, despite many hours of tinkering. The feed just couldn't keep up.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Take note people, it's time to start recruiting nicely suggestion people check out the NIB :)

As for flex, I would suggest dip pens. they're cheap and wonderfully flexy.

Don't forget the Brown Leaf. The ranks of both areas grew last year because of the 2013 Sabbatical. To all the newbies that will be coming- welcome aboard. You will save money here.

No, really- I a mean that.

I cannot lie worth a damn.

No my 912 is still out of commission, I dont use a printer at home but I did print the form for fudge off today so I can send it out this week

No my 912 is still out of commission, I dont use a printer at home but I did print the form for fudge off today so I can send it out this week
i have a parker vac that "quasi" works, and i have thought about sending it to him, as his rates seem reasonable...

He has a very good reputation for being fast and reliable, several members here have used his services and been very satisfied

If you want to play with real flex without spending much money my suggestions would be to go to
Paperinkarts.com and pick up the following

This is great! I've been wanting to try dip pens, but didn't know how/where to start. I've ordered what you suggested, and my order was just under 20 FRNs. I shall post a report when I am able.

Shave_Rat: Kudos for posting the question I hadn't gotten around to asking yet. And here's hoping you find/make the fountain pen you are seeking.

This is great! I've been wanting to try dip pens, but didn't know how/where to start. I've ordered what you suggested, and my order was just under 20 FRNs. I shall post a report when I am able.

Shave_Rat: Kudos for posting the question I hadn't gotten around to asking yet. And here's hoping you find/make the fountain pen you are seeking.

Glad it helped you out. Give me a heads up once you put up the review, so am sure to not miss it?

I bought and am awaiting a pump pen... its a eyedropper, pump action (you squeeze a button on the back to force flow as much as you like) but uses dip pen nibs... it was shipped for forty bucks ill let you guys know how it works out when I get it

I have now officially played with my Noodler's Creaper flex pen for $17. I should add that I asked Goulet Pens to dry inspect the nib to make sure it looked aligned etc.

It's actually a really nice pen. The "Noodler's smell" from the resin is minimal, the color is nice, it looks to be of good quality, and the nib is reasonably smooth and flexible with nice line variation as I write. It's not as fine as my Pilot Metro, but it's a fun pen to play around with.

I also watched Goulet Pens' video on the flex nib, and from what I recall you can pull the nib out more to make it more flexible without Dremeling it, and you can also move the feed in and out to change the characteristics as well. I am most certainly not skilled at this, but since it's a pretty affordable pen that flexes and seems like a high quality, fun pen, I thought that I'd throw that out there.

I also have a Konrad on order - I'll probably use a non-flex nib in that one as it will me more of a work pen, but I was pretty impressed with the quality of the Noodler's Creaper.

As a reference, my comparators are a Pilot Metro ($15, very nice), an Ohto F-Spirit (under $20, not as nice as the Metro or Creaper), and a Pilot 78g fine (not as nice as the Metro or Creaper). A $40 Konrad strikes me as expensive!

I wouldn't know a fine fountain pen (vintage or modern) "if it leapt like a salmon from my winecup", to quote a line from a Patricia McKillip book. :laugh:

I had a nib creeper wet my interest in flex pens. Then I got a Waterman Ideal No.54 from a local shop. It does rpetty well. I got it for a little more than what my M200's cost me. It really runs through the ink. :D

I have an old no-name pen with a Warranted Iridium nib that has some decent flex but I can't leave it sit with ink in it.

I also have an Eversharp Symphony 713 that flexes as much as the nib creeper but after using the Waterman I have to go so slow and feel like I'm putting too much pressure on it to flex pretty.

After messing with my dip nibs over the weekend, I'm sure the Waterman will feel funny to flex next time I use it.

Cool beans, if you have any trouble or need help let me know ill help you get going, the g nibs are pretty forgiving and should give you a great experience, can't wait to see what you turn out

I got that McCafferys in the mail yesterday as well as those nibs and a copperplate book. Man, that ink can cover a wide flex. Nowhere near as black as I thought it would be, though. When it dries it has a bit of sparkle to it.

I've been using some clairfontaine grid/graph paper (Picked up a big notebook of it from Goulet bottom shelf). The grid works great as guidelines: 2 boxes for x-height, extra on top for ascender, couple below for descender, plus the 54degree lines are easily made knowing the 4/3 slope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom