What's new

Fixing a pipe

So I posted that I just got two vintage dr graybow pipes in. Two of which I had drooled over similar pipes or lost in auctions. One was very clean and looked lightly used. The other showed heavier use. The heavier used pipe needed reaming. I gently reamed the pipe and found a little charing to one side. No big deal I have some others that were similar. I just used them gently until a cake had formed over. This one turned out to be different

While cleaning (used a homemade retort) some alcohol came from a tiny gap in one of the wire carved grooves. Will pipe mud fix something such as this? I have used it before at the bottom of pipes. Will it fill the crack and be good once a cake has formed over? Im currently puffing on a cigar and saving the ash. Guess it can't hurt to try? Ive never attempted to fix a complete hole before...

Thanks for the wealth of info on the forum here and any info received.
Mark

I guess its going to take some experimenting. Just hate that its a pipe I was looking forward to using in the future. The seller wouldn't have been able to tell it too. It was covered by the old musty cake. I guess that in itself builds some confidence because it appeared to have been used even with the hole. Ill keep this updated in the next few weeks when I get a chance to tinker with it. Guess this comes with the territory in estate pipes.

Last edited:
Mixed up a little pipe mud and applied it this evening. Only played with pipe mud a couple times. Can't say I have been very successful lol. Its tough to get the mixture right from what I have read. Filled the small crack in bowl and lightly coated the sides of the bowl. Pressed a little extra over the crack in an attempt to push the mud into the crack to fill it. So far so good. Gonna let it dry a couple days and see what it looks like. If it looks good after drying out I'll try it out and try to get a cake going over it.

$20161115_182930.jpg

Did a little test this morning after the mud had dried a pretty well. Covered the bowl with my palm and lightly blew through the bit. No air escaped anywhere so Im hopeful. Looks like this may work out :thumbup:

Is it possible to fix a crack in the Mortise section of a pipe? And if not, does it affect the usage of the pipe? Several of my estate batch that I had given to me suffer from this unfortunately...

Is it possible to fix a crack in the Mortise section of a pipe? And if not, does it affect the usage of the pipe? Several of my estate batch that I had given to me suffer from this unfortunately...

A band on the shank will stabilize a crack, but that's not really a DIY project unless you've got metalworking skills.

Didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start another thread so I'll add it here.

Recently got an sms meerschaum pipe off ebay. Good price and looked decent. Once it got to me I noticed the push/pull mortise and tenon was quite loose. Found this when I removed the old one :bored:

$20170111_170904.jpg

Proceeded to source some replacements. Think I ordered them Tuesday night. Didn't know much about them so I was hoping they were the right size. Props to royal meerschaum, the parts got here today from California wow. I had to dig it and try to fix it right away :lol:

They were the right part but required some modification to work right. After about 20-30min with my drill, files, and some sand paper here is the finished product. Gave it a good cleaning too. It was dirty and I removed some cake from the bowl and a little of the rim charing.

$20170112_164833.jpg

$20170112_164900.jpg

$20170112_164927.jpg

All done and fits great! The new push/pull connection even has a larger hole and the pipe now has a better feeling draw!

PS: the dr graybow that I started this thread for is doing fine :thumbup1:

Didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start another thread so I'll add it here.

Recently got an sms meerschaum pipe off ebay. Good price and looked decent. Once it got to me I noticed the push/pull mortise and tenon was quite loose. Found this when I removed the old one :bored:

View attachment 716167

Proceeded to source some replacements. Think I ordered them Tuesday night. Didn't know much about them so I was hoping they were the right size. Props to royal meerschaum, the parts got here today from California wow. I had to dig it and try to fix it right away [emoji38]

They were the right part but required some modification to work right. After about 20-30min with my drill, files, and some sand paper here is the finished product. Gave it a good cleaning too. It was dirty and I removed some cake from the bowl and a little of the rim charing.

View attachment 716168

View attachment 716169

View attachment 716170

All done and fits great! The new push/pull connection even has a larger hole and the pipe now has a better feeling draw!

PS: the dr graybow that I started this thread for is doing fine [emoji106]1:
Hey do you have an extra of those white fittings for the meer? I've only been able to find in a 10 pack. Let me know if you might part with one!

Did a little test this morning after the mud had dried a pretty well. Covered the bowl with my palm and lightly blew through the bit. No air escaped anywhere so Im hopeful. Looks like this may work out :thumbup:
I haven't tried it myself, but if your mud doesn't stand up to the task I recall reading on a pipe forum years ago that 'fireplace cement' will sometimes repair a burnout.

I have taken a zip tie, A.K.A. cable tie, and used that to 'repair' a cracked shank. Not as attractive as a silver repair band, but it works and I don't have to send the pipe out, or pay more than a few cents.
$Repair2.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thank you sir!

I didn't actually drill anything with the drill haha. Used it for my makeshift lathe :lol:

Wow, Mark! Fantastic work! Thanks for explaining about the drill, too. When I first saw "drill," my eyebrows went up to the sky in fear and dread! :ohmy:

Top Bottom