What's new

First year Gillette Single Ring ebay find

Took a chance on a razor on Ebay and was pleasantly surprised. The pictures were not great , but it looked clean , though very dark. What I got for $35 is a 1906 first year Single ring, Serial number 602875. Silver plated, looks like it has never been cleaned , but certainly never abused. Has the small crack at the top as so many do. All in all I am am quite happy I took the chance.

thumbnail (8).jpeg
thumbnail (7).jpeg
thumbnail (6).jpeg
thumbnail (5).jpeg

Took a chance on a razor on Ebay and was pleasantly surprised. The pictures were not great , but it looked clean , though very dark. What I got for $35 is a 1906 first year Single ring, Serial number 602875. Silver plated, looks like it has never been cleaned , but certainly never abused. Has the small crack at the top as so many do. All in all I am am quite happy I took the chance.

View attachment 1452693View attachment 1452694View attachment 1452695View attachment 1452696
I believe the 'SR'-handle was introduced in 1905 and razors produced in that year should have a serial number within this interval 45425-370424.

Your razor got a great patina 👌🏼

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

View attachment 1452693View attachment 1452694View attachment 1452695View attachment 1452696

WOW, I would have thought it was being used as a fire poker tool, with the razor looking so charred black like that. I wonder how well this razor will clean up? I've never seen a DE razor this old before, I didn't know that they made them this far back. I wonder how performance wise, it would hold up, compared to today's razors? Would you be willing to test?

Also, please tell me, why is it so common, for the handles to have that crack in them? Are you sure its not from abuse? Because I am wondering just how many men, hit the razor on the side of the sink to get the soap and hairs out. Because my sink is tiny, and the water spout sticks out so far, sometimes I accidentally hit the razor into it, when I am bringing the razor back up from the water.

WOW, I would have thought it was being used as a fire poker tool, with the razor looking so charred black like that. I wonder how well this razor will clean up? I've never seen a DE razor this old before, I didn't know that they made them this far back. I wonder how performance wise, it would hold up, compared to today's razors? Would you be willing to test?

Also, please tell me, why is it so common, for the handles to have that crack in them? Are you sure its not from abuse? Because I am wondering just how many men, hit the razor on the side of the sink to get the soap and hairs out. Because my sink is tiny, and the water spout sticks out so far, sometimes I accidentally hit the razor into it, when I am bringing the razor back up from the water.
Splits occur because the tubing was not annealed, and so they present with stress fractures, [possibly from the knocks of everyday life, but just as likely from the stress of having the neck press-fit into it.

FYI, if you have a steady hand, you can run a bead of low temp solder to prevent further cracking, then have it replated. That's a very nice specimen.

Top Bottom