What's new

First Use of De Vergulde Hand Extra Fris Shave Soap

I was lucky enough to be PIF'd two types of the De Vergulde Hand Soaps, both the regular version and the Extra Fris.

I cannot tell you how much I love the scent, it has one of the cleanest, freshest scents that I have ever smelled in a shaving soap.

The lathering ability is second to none. It produced a thick luxurious lather in no time that felt silky soft on my skin. When it comes to soaps I am normally a tallow fan, but this soap produced a lather as good as if not better than both Tabac and MWF.

After one use I can easily say that the DVH will become a regular part of my rotation, even if I need to bring it in by the case!

I have not seen it available in the US, but was informed that both Royal Shave and the 'Bay has it. In my opinion a US distributor need to jump all over this product and start importing it.

proxy.php

I was lucky enough to have some De Vergulde hand sent to me, and I think this soap is awesome. It smells great and it lather easily, and the lather it produces is awesome.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've only used the regular version, I picked up both the stick and the puck when I was in the Netherlands last year. It isn't the best soap I've tried but certainly not the worst; the lather builds easily but seems to lack a little something, maybe slickness. I will have to revisit it soon, I do enjoy using it and the clean scent.

What's the difference with the new Extra fris?

De Vergulde Hand shave soap has been one of the worst shave soaps i've ever used.

Oh really? What did you not like about it?

I've only used the regular version, I picked up both the stick and the puck when I was in the Netherlands last year. It isn't the best soap I've tried but certainly not the worst; the lather builds easily but seems to lack a little something, maybe slickness. I will have to revisit it soon, I do enjoy using it and the clean scent.

What's the difference with the new Extra fris?

Extra Fris just means extra fresh, although the scents smell virtually identical to me. It built a very slick and well cushioned lather with very little work with my SOC boar. I am going to try a bowl lather tomorrow with a TGN Super Badger to see how much of a difference, if any in the quality if the lather.

Reactions: abj
Thanks for the review, Arley. I'm sold. I also checked out some youtube videos from guys who've tried it and they quite liked De Vergulde Hand soap. This is a must try for me.

I checked to see who sells this soap in the ZI: I found it at Royal Shave for about $9/75-gram puck of DVH Sheerzeep; and $10/75-gram of the Extra Fris), which makes either of these comparable to what I pay for Mitchell's Woolfat--looks like Royal Shave will be getting some business.

Last edited:
I have found the VDH or the golden hand to be a middle of the road product at best, several years ago it was virtually unobtainium and the cost was astronomical.
There are quite a few soaps available that are a better value and much better performers.

Some of you who say VDH is not a good product. Fair enough; I appreciate your findings; but rather than say 'I didn't like it' or 'There are better', why not take the take the time to match the thread's contribution by writing a constructive and substantive response explaining your findings? If there are negatives, don't you think we might benefit from them as much as we might positive responses? If you've found other soaps to be superior to VDH, be forthcoming and tell us about the soaps you feel are superior and how they differ. This would be helpful.

Each of us benefits from constructive criticism; substantive critiques have value. If you've something to say, positive or negative, post a comment worth reading and in what I would like to think is in the spirit of B&B.

Today I decided to bowl lather with the Vintage Stanley Home Products Badger Brush and a Suribachi, a Japanese ridged bowl which is what I use exclusively when bowl lathering.

This first picture is of the brush after about 8 swirls onto the soap.
proxy.php

This second picture is after working the soap for less than 30 seconds in the bowl, as you can see it just explodes, but at this point is still airy, as most soaps are when first building a lather.
proxy.php

And finally this last picture is the the brush swirled like an ice cream cone with the luxurious lather that was produced in less than two minutes of working.

proxy.php

As they say, "a picture speaks a thousand words"....so here are three thousands words for you:wink2:

Like so many things in this hobby we all do not have like the same products, tools and equipment. That is why YMMV is so true. I for one love the DVH soap and will continue to use it and purchase it. At around $12.00 USD per puck landed, it is not the cheapest soap, but it is far from the worse.

proxy.php

I keep looking for a can of Ready Whip in the background! The lather looks so rich--this is a must try for me. Hello? Royal Shave...

In my opinion a US distributor need to jump all over this product and start importing it.

And as far as I am concerned he can import all that is made. I have never used a shaving product that dried my skin as bad as DVH. It gives an enormous amount of lather easily but its properties are only so so imo; not very protective compared to about every other soap I used.

The scent is of course personal but if there is one product smelling like some industrial cleaner this is it. I would say even Arko is subtle and refined in comparison.

Ok, I clearly don't like it one bit but if you like it good for you and enjoy! I would rather have a Dutch importer for Williams...:lol:

Since I live in Europe I have easy acces to the products of De Vergulde Hand (puck, stick, ASB, alum, brush), Palmolive (Euro stick, cream) and Williams (cream). I'm willing to send these products over the pond for you guys for a fair price, meaning the price I pay over here+shipping.
Just give me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Top Bottom