What's new

First time with Proraso

This morning was my second DE shave. Last one was on Sunday, but I wanted to get some good stubble for the second go. Also used Proraso green cream this time instead of TH Ultimate Comfort. Thank you Target!!!

Really looked forward to the shave with Proraso. I've heard nothing but good about it, but honestly I was a bit disappointed. Now, don't get me wrong! I LOVE the cool feeling, but the end result was not there like my first shave.

Here's my routine this morning:
Worked out from 6am - 7am to get the blood flowing.
Used my new Sunbeam Hotshot to get my water nice and hot for the brush to soak in while I was in the shower.
Picked up some Proraso pre-shave in the jar at Target. Man that is cold!
While that soaked in my face, I wetted a glass mixing bowl and nuked it for a minute.
Bowl's nice and toasty. Time to start the lather.
Proraso lathered up nice and quick (the initial temp of the bowl makes a difference).
Brush to face. NICE!!!
Started with Futur on lowest setting (just like the first shave), but it didn't seem to be cutting.
Ratchet up to 2. Better.
45 minutes and 2 passes later, fairly smooth, but not like shaving with TH Ultimate Comfort.

Proraso tends to leave the area I've just passed over drier, whereas TH UC leaves the swath slicker through the whole shave. 5 or 6 nicks on my neck this time and I noticed more razor drag. I just don't know.:bored:

Proraso feels great in 103 degrees, but I want a comfortable, BBS shave more. I'll go back to TH for the next shave.

Don't give up with the Proraso..sounds like you might have needed a bit more water. You can always test the lather by rubbing it between your fingers to ensure it is the right consistency. Just add a couple drops at a time when you are whipping until you get it right.

boboakalfb said:
Don't give up with the Proraso..sounds like you might have needed a bit more water. You can always test the lather by rubbing it between your fingers to ensure it is the right consistency. Just add a couple drops at a time when you are whipping until you get it right.

You may have done this and just not mentioned, but make sure you are re-wetting your face between passes before re-lathering.

I rewetted my face between passes. I thought my lather was fairly good. Almost to the perfect, meringue-like consistency. I'll try that forefinger-thumb lube test next shave.

I'd really like to try the Nancy Boy cream, but I just can't get over the blue, freakin' daisy on the label.:lol:

For me, the Proraso in the tub (semi-solid soap) provides a better shave than the stuff in the tube, which I also really like.

I also agree that you might want to try some more water in the mix.

Here's my $.02. The first one is always tuff to beat. Your initial reaction is mind altering. The subsequent ones just don't even compare for the first couple of weeks. Then if your like me you try everything you read and get even farther of track. But with help I'm recovering.

Now if that doesn't sound like addiction recovery talk... I eat my razor.

A comment and a question:

Get over the daisy on the Nancy Boy shave cream--they aren't coming to your house and singing Streisand tunes, just making great shave cream!:biggrin:

Why is it taking you 45 minutes for 2 passes? I consider myself a slow shaver, and I do 4 passes in 20 minutes, including shower. It may be that your lather is drying out over that long a time?

You might consider that the blade is in bad shape. If your beard is really tough (or bad prep, whatever) it may be that you needed to change your blade after each shave.

Also 45 minutes sounds long for two passes to me too.

mrob said:
Why is it taking you 45 minutes for 2 passes? I consider myself a slow shaver, and I do 4 passes in 20 minutes, including shower. It may be that your lather is drying out over that long a time?

I'm not really sure why it took 45 minutes today.:confused: Granted, this is my second time using a DE, so I want to be sure I go slow and take my time. But my first shave on Sunday only took 20 minutes for 2 passes. I think I spent a lot of time on my neck today, but the results didn't pan out.

I guess this is just one of those "bad shave days" I've heard guys have. But BELIEVE ME, this just lights my fire even more. I can't wait until tomorrow morning! "I shall not be mastered by a bad shave!"

Hey, if you're only on shave 2, take your time and work on your technique. I had plenty of loooong shaves the first few weeks, and they helped me refine my technique big time.

Just don't get too obsessive with trying to get *every* little hair--relax and enjoy the experience, and revel in the fact that you're spending time on yourself. Its an investment that is worth the cost.:biggrin:

This last comment triggered a thought: spending time on oneself being worth it. Just from the idea of cognitive dissonance and how the mind resolves it suggests that taking care of yourself and pampering yourself (e.g., with a good shave regimen) would make you feel better about yourself because: hey, if I'm spending all this time (& money) on myself, I must be worth it. :) It's the same idea as when Ben Franklin advised asking an enemy to do you a small favor---lend you a book or the like. The enemy will try to resolve the dissonance between his feelings and his actions (of doing you a favor) and will usually decide that he likes you more than he thought.

Well, got up this morning ready and determined to have a better shave than yesterday.

:mad: But I had an even pissier shave!!!:mad:

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing plenty of prep (shower before, ASB pre-shave, soak brush for 5 minutes, etc.)

Decided to go back to TH UC. Slicker than Proraso, but still not satified. I even put a new Merkur blade in the Futur. All I seemed to get was pulling the whiskers, not a clean slice. Of course, there wasn't much stubble (only one day between shaves instead of 2-3).

Am I not preping long enough? What is ya'lls most effective prep technique?

Also, I'm not sure if my blade angle is correct. Any really good threads on that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

My prep--20 minutes in the hot tub (best) OR 10 minute shower with hair conditioner on for most of that time.
Brush prep--same result with 10 minute soak in hot tap water OR 1 minute soak in hot tap water
Lather 3/4" Proraso directly on face.
Three passes. Touch-ups. LIGHT, LIGHT touch...
Rinse too much soap out of brush.
Thayer's WH. Proraso A/S.
Outside to SUMMER IN OKLAHOMA!

Top Bottom