What's new

First Tabac Shave

Tabac is great!!

I had some bought for me last Christmas and used it all through late December and new year till I sickened myself of it (yes, it is possible). I used it again during this year but not as much as before. Got it out again this Christmas and it's still going strong, but I'm getting a little sick of the smell again and I'm starting to eye up the old Proraso!!

All said and done, it sure is a cracking good soap albeit that it always reminds me of snow and Christmas! :biggrin1:

I haven't been able to find the soap locally, just the cream, which I find to be very good but not in the ohmygoshyagottatrythis category.

Anyone know how the soap and the cream compare?

Cheers

Jeremy

I bought myself a bowl for Christmas and I had my first Tabac shave yesterday. The lather is easily made – more than with some creams – and it is the most slippery thing I have tried, maybe even too much. While I was shaving, it seemed to me that my beard was harder than usual, so I expected to see some redness, but there wasn't any and the shave was nice and comfortable. The a/s didn't sting a bit.
As for the scent, I could hardly smell anything, but that may just be the cold I'm still recovering from, so I'm going to check that later.
This soap, with it's nice glass bowl, was a bit expensive, but I still recommend it.

By the way, happy new year everybody!

I haven't been able to find the soap locally, just the cream, which I find to be very good but not in the ohmygoshyagottatrythis category.

Anyone know how the soap and the cream compare?

Cheers

Jeremy

Unfortunately the cream is a distant cousin to the fine soap, Not recommended.

I just used Tabac for the first time this morning. It was also the first time I've used a shaving soap, first I've used my badger brush....it was basically my first wet shave ever.

I am very impressed, and the pressurized goo I've been using will not see another squirt from me :)

I like the scent of Tabac. It was a bit "soapier" smelling than I expected from what I've read; but then again, it is a soap lol

This was only my second time using my Merkur, but unlike the first time, I didn't have any nicks or irritation at all this time.

A little swirling, and I was able to get enough lather for 3 passes (would have done 1 more, but had to go to work).

I'll honestly be hardpressed to try anything else.

I like the scent of Tabac. It was a bit "soapier" smelling than I expected from what I've read; but then again, it is a soap lol

I think almost everyone has this experience with their first soap. IMO all soaps smell like soap. After 2-4 shaves you stop noticing the soap smell as much and "smell" the scent. Especially true after you have a few to compare.

This was only my second time using my Merkur, but unlike the first time, I didn't have any nicks or irritation at all this time.

True of all the great soaps but remember there is also a conditioning that your face goes through. It takes 4-5 shaves with a DE (a few more with a straight) for your face to adapt to being shaved this way. After that "break in" period you'll find all the really good soaps protect just fine. My experience, at least.

I'll honestly be hardpressed to try anything else.

Sure, you say that now...... Just wait.... :biggrin:

Congrats on a great experience with a well regarded soap. Now go try AOS, Penhaligons, Floris, Institut Karit, MWF, L'Occitane, Pre de Provence ........... :wink:

Enjoy!

Ken

Tabac was my first soap. It is currently my only soap. I love the manly fragrance as does my wife. I'll try others, but doubt they will surpass this outstanding product. I love the Tabac cologne as well - subtle but effective.

Tobac made me think entirely differently about soaps! I love it especially during the winter months and follow it up with English Leather a/s

Top Bottom