What's new

First straight shave

Some of you might have been following my Emil Jansen restore thread, given me advice on setting a bevel with paper, rolled your eyes at me wanting to do it all without the right equipment...

Well I did it.

So there I was in my basement last night. I got the bevel set, was shaving arm hair like mad. Went as high as 3k grit (limit of my paper), then spent some time on my little barber's hone, following the directions there. When it started sticking when dragged across my nail I went to the other side... Stropped it up on the linen and leather. Felt like it was getting smoother at taking arm hair.

I couldn't sleep last night, I woke up at 2AM and started soaking my brush, warming my bowl... and then realized it was 2AM and went back to bed. I was too excited, for this morning I was going to try it on my face.

Well... I bet it was a similar experience to the first caveman shaving by scraping a sharpish sea shell across his mug... But it's exciting to see the potential shaving with a straight can have! I did 3 WTG/down passes and was about where I usually am after WTG-XTG-XTG with my DE. Irritation... check, but in reverse to where I get it with DE, neck feels fine, face is a little hot.

I am satisfied with where I managed to get this little razor on my own, puking it all together with whatever I had, but now I am going to take rambus007 up on his offer to send it his way for a honing.

I can't wait to try this again with an actual shave ready straight. :w00t:

I couldn't sleep last night, I woke up at 2AM and started soaking my brush, warming my bowl... and then realized it was 2AM and went back to bed. I was too excited, for this morning I was going to try it on my face.

Well... I bet it was a similar experience to the first caveman shaving by scraping a sharpish sea shell across his mug... But it's exciting to see the potential shaving with a straight can have! I did 3 WTG/down passes and was about where I usually am after WTG-XTG-XTG with my DE. Irritation... check, but in reverse to where I get it with DE, neck feels fine, face is a little hot.
Ha ha! Funny post. Up at 2:00am because you couldn't wait to shave!?! And not to worry - before long, you won't have a hot face after shaving (the well-honed razor, obviously, and lighter pressure will help)!

Well done on your first straight shave!

While it is an option to shave off the bare essentials, it is sure nice to have some extras. I started with an 8k stone, and when I got a chinese 12k it made a world of difference. these things have such fine edges it seems worth using a proper hone. But hey, if it works for you that is awesome.

Keep with it and as your hand develops muscle memory it will only get better!

Oh I will absolutely be getting proper hones and whatnot, just can't right now as it is officially "too close to Christmas" for purchases like that. :lol: So for now am sending it away to be honed, and finished on a Coti to boot, can't wait to see what that's like. :thumbup:

As for the razor burn, it was mostly my lip (the videos were right! that is a tricky spot to get into) but everything feels pretty much fine now, and tomorrow's DE shave will be extra good because it wasn't so close a shave today as usual lol.

Top Bottom