What's new

First straight shave Part 1

Just about all the gear has arrived and I'm ready...

proxy.php

Nice looking, shave ready straight specially prepared by Ambrose (thanks Mate). :thumbup:

Only problem is - no strop. So I search the house and find something that may do the job.....:biggrin:

proxy.php

Only problem is - it is part of this....

proxy.php

For some reason the Gals are not keen on me using the strap as a strop :crying:

I guess I'll have to wait for the parcel from TM.

So close yet so far...:sad:

Part 2 follows the day after the strop arrives.

Cheers

Started my day off with a laugh. My girl would kill me if she caught me anywhere near her bag with a straight. : P

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You just need to do it and not say a word! :biggrin:

Where did you get your Martin de Candre soap?

Hey im glad everything made it safe. The razor is shave ready stropped and all. You could try it once and just make sure and dry the edge when your done and then wait for the TM strop to arrive for the next shaves. Best of luck - Cheers Jose

C'mon, use the purse strap. We won't tell. Here's how that scenario would play out in my house.

She: Honey?
Me: No response.
She: Sweeeeetie?
Me: No response.
She: Honaaaaaaaaay!
Me: Yes my princess.
She: My purse strap turned the shoulder of my blouse greeeeen! Look!
Me: What! Cheap imported sweatshop crap. Wait a minute. That green diagonal stripe really makes you look taller.
She: Immediately improves her posture. Blood pressure drops into measureable range.
Me: No really, the way it bisects your torso on the bias? That's so hot.
She: Giggles and skips merrily out of the room.
Me: Spends the rest of the day thinking about my new crox, pasted strop. Did I mention the word free?

OK, so it wouldn't actually play out like this, but I can dream can't I?

Only problem is - no strop. So I search the house and find something that may do the job.....:biggrin:

proxy.php

Only problem is - it is part of this....

proxy.php

For some reason the Gals are not keen on me using the strap as a strop :crying:

I guess I'll have to wait for the parcel from TM.

So close yet so far...:sad:

Part 2 follows the day after the strop arrives.

Cheers

My girlfriend had the very same bag & I had the same idea as you!

She said "If you cut up my handbag to make a strop for your damn razor I'll leave you!"

Anyway now my razor is sharp & I enjoying some fine shaves:001_smile

and at times - I sure do miss her.

Funny!:lol:
I can relate!

You'll be eyeing off all sorts of objects to be potential strops

- early on, every time I saw a belt or any kind of strap I'd think - hmm wonder how that would go as a strop

-went through a similar thing with lathering bowls and DIY scuttles.

Good luck for the big day

- if you can, try and restrain yourself to a single pass and get good at that first before you try the trickier passes (though I didn't restrain myself)

You've probably been reading up on all the tips so I won't go on!

All the best and have fun!
Michael.

Thanks for the support Chaps.
To answer a few queries.

I got the razor from Jose (Ambrose), just a cold call and lots of dumb questions from me and he set me up with a beaut starter. To quote Jose

The razor is an "alexander with beautiful scales 5/8 blade 3/4 to full hollow muted spike point"

The Martin de Candre soap came via the UK, one of only two soaps that I have that produces a beautiful glossy lather (the other is Tabac!).

I'm still laughing at that responses thanks :biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Those are some fairly large bandages :eek:.

The only time I think it would be necessary to use a bandage that large is if you were shaving an unwilling participant, and the subject wasn't smart enough to stop squirming. "Hold still dang it, this is an intervention, your hobo beard is an embarrassment to the entire community.":001_rolle

I guess at this point you could either wait for TM's awesome strop, or you could head down to the hardware store to see if you can find a similar uhm-strop, to experiment with :lol:.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the support Chaps.
To answer a few queries.

I got the razor from Jose (Ambrose), just a cold call and lots of dumb questions from me and he set me up with a beaut starter. To quote Jose

The razor is an "alexander with beautiful scales 5/8 blade 3/4 to full hollow muted spike point"

The Martin de Candre soap came via the UK, one of only two soaps that I have that produces a beautiful glossy lather (the other is Tabac!).

I'm still laughing at that responses thanks :biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Thanks Clive, I will have a look as this one is very high on my 'to-try' list!

Those are some fairly large bandages :eek:.

The only time I think it would be necessary to use a bandage that large is if you were shaving an unwilling participant, and the subject wasn't smart enough to stop squirming. "Hold still dang it, this is an intervention, your hobo beard is an embarrassment to the entire community.":001_rolle

Have to agree here! Let's hope you won't be needing those! If you do...well, might want to find a less dangerous shaving method!

My girlfriend had the very same bag & I had the same idea as you!

She said "If you cut up my handbag to make a strop for your damn razor I'll leave you!"

Anyway now my razor is sharp & I enjoying some fine shaves:001_smile

and at times - I sure do miss her.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom