What's new

First straight razor shave, but with a Sextoblade

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
.1u lapping film is a cheap way to touch up an edge. So is diamond paste on balsa. Look for the Lapping Film thread started by Blix, and the How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop thread started by me. Either way is cheap and either way will leave a crazy edge on a razor.

Thread revival

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of my first straight razor shave. My adventure started with the Weck Sextoblade "Trade Sample Not For Sale", which I also used today. The start of my journey is chronicled in this very thread.

I love stats, so here's a breakdown of the last year:
  • I had 327 shaves in the past year (I missed about 3 shaves a month - always a weekend)
  • 248 of those shaves were straight razor shaves (223 with replaceable blade straights, and 25 with normal straights
  • 79 shaves in the past year with a DE or SE
  • Most used was my Weck Sextoblades and Hair Shaper, with 94 total shaves (100 shaves if I count the Hess 1010)
  • Next most used was the Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera, with 43 shaves
  • Most used normal straight was the Wade & Butcher 7/8 wedge "American Razor" with 10 shaves, followed by the Wadsworth 11/16
See you in a year!

Feb 19: 600th Straight Shave on Weck Wednesday

Lather:
RazoRock Puros
Brush: Zenith B07-EURO bleached boar (24/57mm)
Razor: Weck Sextoblade "Trade Sample Not For Sale"
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper [1]
Balm: Chatillon Lux La Foret de Liguest Salve

Time for another update. Today was my 600th straight razor shave, and to commemorate, I decided to recreate my first straight shave from August 2017. I used the Weck "Trade Sample Not For Sale" Sextoblade, no guard, with a brand new Personna Hair Shaper blade. I used the same brush with a RazoRock soap, same alum and Thayers Medicated Witch Hazel post shave followed by a Chatillon Lux skin salve.

To say this shave went better than my first is an understatement. Perfect 3 and a half pass shave with no blood or alum sting. The mediacted witch hazel was superfluous, but I used it anyway.

For anyone that's interested, my 3 most used razors over the 600 shave run is 156 uses for the Weck, 128 uses for the Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera Lama full-DE blade shavette, and rounding off the top-3 is the Feather SS with 63 uses.

Top Bottom