What's new

First steel razor - Muhle Rocca R94 or Razorock ?

After spending ages debating what stainless steel razor to get I've narrowed it down to the below based on my budget:

Muhle Rocca R94
Razorock Game Changer 84
Razorock Lupo 72

I'm sure this has been asked on many occasions before but does anyone have experience with these razors and can provide some feedback? I've read up a lot on the Rocca but with the Razorock I'm not sure how different the two models are?

For reference I'm still using my first DE razor (King C Gillette) and although I've had no issues with it I do think I'd prefer something a little more aggressive.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I have all 3. Well, actually my Rocca is the R95 birchbark handle. All 3 are great razors. The Razorocks costs a bit less and are probably the best value in stainless steel razors.

IMHO the Lupo 72 is slightly more aggressive than the Game Changer 84, I believe it has a bit more blade exposure. I think the Lupo is a bit better under the nose. Some don't like the blade alignment posts on the baseplate of the Game Changer, but I don't have any problem with it. Razorock has simple instructions on loading a blade in the Game Changer on their webpage.

I feel the Rocca is a bit overpriced; so I bought mine used here on the BST. My personal opinion is the Rocca is a bit more efficient, more like the Lupo 95 but not as aggressive.

I have all the base plates for the Game Changer and most for the Lupo. Open comb razors are normally not my preference but I prefer the Game Changer 68OC and the Lupo 72OC.

Each of those 3 razors can give a perfect shave. If I personally had to choose one to keep it would be the Rocca. But of course YMMV.

I have all three of them as well. My preference among similar razors in that family/price range is actually not on your list, but is closely related -- the Lupo 95 SB. I prefer a more efficient/aggressive razor with a medium-sharpness blade, and the Lupo 95 delivers.

But as BT says, you won't go wrong with any of them. No matter which one you go with, I think you'll enjoy it.

I have owned the Rocca R95 (birch bark handle), the Lupo .95 Open Comb, and the Game Changer models .68, .84 and .84 Open Comb. As others have said, all three of your proposed choices are truly fine razors. Although I sold all of my Game Changer versions, I have nothing negative to say about them; I just prefer to keep a small handful of razors and the Game Changer didn't make the cut for me. I still own the Rocca and the Lupo .95 OC. The RazoRock razors, both the Lupo and Game Changer give you the option of multiple base plates if you first purchase one that is either to mild or too aggressive for you. And they do so at a better price point than almost any other stainless steel razor. So you can't go wrong with either of the RazoRock choices. The Rocca comes in just one head configuration - the multiple models only change out the handle. That said, I find that it is quite smooth and efficient, and I would guess that it would fit well into the slot of more aggressive than your current King Gillette but still easily tamed. I also think that the birch bark handle on the R95 is the most comfortable and best looking handle on any of my razors.

My normal advice is to buy both (or all three in this case), but you really can't go wrong picking any one of the three you suggested. And if you broaden your search, you'll find many more excellent options. If you're only going to buy one, at least for now, buy the one that most appeals to your senses, the one that you feel you'd most like to hold in your hand when you shave.

I have owned the Rocca R95 (birch bark handle), the Lupo .95 Open Comb, and the Game Changer models .68, .84 and .84 Open Comb. As others have said, all three of your proposed choices are truly fine razors. Although I sold all of my Game Changer versions, I have nothing negative to say about them; I just prefer to keep a small handful of razors and the Game Changer didn't make the cut for me. I still own the Rocca and the Lupo .95 OC. The RazoRock razors, both the Lupo and Game Changer give you the option of multiple base plates if you first purchase one that is either to mild or too aggressive for you. And they do so at a better price point than almost any other stainless steel razor. So you can't go wrong with either of the RazoRock choices. The Rocca comes in just one head configuration - the multiple models only change out the handle. That said, I find that it is quite smooth and efficient, and I would guess that it would fit well into the slot of more aggressive than your current King Gillette but still easily tamed. I also think that the birch bark handle on the R95 is the most comfortable and best looking handle on any of my razors.

My normal advice is to buy both (or all three in this case), but you really can't go wrong picking any one of the three you suggested. And if you broaden your search, you'll find many more excellent options. If you're only going to buy one, at least for now, buy the one that most appeals to your senses, the one that you feel you'd most like to hold in your hand when you shave.
Well said sir.😊👍💈

I have the GC .84 and it's a great razor. As pointed out earlier, the only downside is the posts on the base plate make it less convenient for blade loading.

The Rockwell 6S is also in that same price point, and the #5 baseplate shaves very similarly to the GC .84.

I have previously owned the GC 84, and the Lupo in both the 72 and 95 baseplate options.

Although the 95 is more "aggressive" than the 72, it felt like a much more comfortable shave. The lupo 95 was a great performer for me, but as my technique improved I was able to get much more out of the GC 84.

I haven't shaved with the Rocca, but I can definitely vouch for RazoRock's quality. Incredible bang for your back!

I own GC .84 and Lupo DC (dual head with one side .95 and another .72 OC) and I find both razors to be great, especially for how much they cost. I find the GC to be smoother and less efficient than the Lupo (I only use the .95 side).

I've never owned a Rocca, because the reviews are very polarizing and are either super positive or very negative and also some folks find the Rocca to be very efficient while others don't. For me, there are plenty of other more interesting razors to try, so that's basically my reason why I haven't used one yet and probably never will.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have the Rocca R94 and the Lupo 95SB I do not have the GC. The Rocca is an excellent razor, comfortable and well balanced I have never had a problem with it (except using Voskhod blades) the quality is evident from the first time you screw it together. The hollow handle far from being a sign of poor quality actually improves the handling of the razor. The one gripe people have with it is the head doesn't clamp the blade all the way out to the edge and so can lead to blade chatter though that does give it it's distinctive sound when shaving and also helps you to assess your shave from how it sounds.
The Lupo 95 I found more aggressive than the Rocca and I think needs to be tweaked with a less sharp blade. Though it does clamp the blade closer to the edge I find it a little less comfortable than the Rocca though the efficiency is about the same possibly a little higher with the Lupo. I purchased my Lupo with the HD handle and although I am getting the hang of using it now I would suggest getting a lighter handle.
Overall the Rocca is my favourite although the Lupo is about number 3 or 4 in my collection (after the R89 and possibly Rockwell 6C, I value comfort above efficiency). Another reason to love the Rocca is looks , compared to the Lupo it is stunning.

I can't comment on the Rocca but as far as the RR models you're considering it basically boils down to blade feel IMHO.

I consider the GC .84 and Lupo .72 to be similar result-wise but slightly different experiences in the shave.

To me, the GC is smoother with less pronounced blade feel while the Lupo moves in the other direction but not massively.

Incidentally, one thing I've noticed about the Lupo is that I sometimes have the feeling it is trying to bite at the blade corners, especially if moving horizontally under the chin. Not sure what this is due to exactly but in any case I still love it. Just requires a bit more attention.

Since you've indicated a desire for more aggresion, that may be easier to sense in the Lupo despite the fact that the shaves are close to being equivalent IMO.

Good luck!

I own GC .84 and Lupo DC (dual head with one side .95 and another .72 OC) and I find both razors to be great, especially for how much they cost. I find the GC to be smoother and less efficient than the Lupo (I only use the .95 side).

I've never owned a Rocca, because the reviews are very polarizing and are either super positive or very negative and also some folks find the Rocca to be very efficient while others don't. For me, there are plenty of other more interesting razors to try, so that's basically my reason why I haven't used one yet and probably never will.
More interesting than a razor that sings and has a brown birch or honeycomb black handle? Where?? I'd rate it an 8/10 for efficiency, great for experienced daily shaving. Rigid blade clamping is over hyped imo.

More interesting than a razor that sings and has a brown birch or honeycomb black handle? Where?? I'd rate it an 8/10 for efficiency, great for experienced daily shaving. Rigid blade clamping is over hyped imo.

I don't know about that. For me personally, a ''singing'' razor is a bad sign, since it implies that the blade support is poor and I hate razors with blade chatter. The funny thing is that there are plenty of very old razors that have very little or zero blade chatter, but despite all the new technologies, the blade support in some of the modern razors is beyond terrible. To each their own I guess, maybe some folks have super light beards and for them that doesn't matter that much, I really don't know.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My Athena "sings", but I think that's because of interesting head design rather than poor blade clamping, but I don't know enough to really know. I'm going by what others have posted about it. ;)

If you get the Lupo, go for the 95 SB. It is not that aggressive, but very smooth and efficient. It can bite if you are careless, but which razor can't? There will be a learning curve after the R89, but not too long hopefully.
An important thing to note is to get a light handle with the Lupo, i.e. RR Ufo or RR Ti. The head is quite light, heavy handles don't have good balance with it.
The 95 OC is more like people describe the SB (aggressive), but again, YMMV.

P.s.: I like aggressive razors, keep that in mind when reading my post.

Currently I'm using the GC .84-P, the Lupo .72 & .95 SB, as well as the .95 OC in a daily rotation.
If I had to choose only one of them, it would be either the GC or the .95 OC, probably the GC.
The GC is only very slightly positive in blade exposure, so it takes a bit more effort to get a super clean shave than with the Lupos that have a little more pronounced blade exposure.
On the other hand the GC has never really bitten me in the year that I've used it, unlike all the Lupos that are more prone to cause a weeper here and there, plus the very odd cut too.
All of these razors do provide the same super clean DFS/BBS shave for me, the Lupos just save half a minute or so in shave time.
The razor that is most fun in the rotation is probably the .95 OC as it has the most blade feel. Most relaxing is the GC, it's just a super safe, yet very efficient razor - definitely autopilot material.
When it comes to loading the blade, as others have mentioned, the GC loads it onto the baseplate with the top cap then stacking onto the baseplate/blade assembly. That's something I've gotten used to quickly and it doesn't bother me at all.
As to the third potential DE razor candidate, the Rocca, I've never tried it and don't find it aesthetically appealing at all.

I don't know about that. For me personally, a ''singing'' razor is a bad sign, since it implies that the blade support is poor and I hate razors with blade chatter. The funny thing is that there are plenty of very old razors that have very little or zero blade chatter, but despite all the new technologies, the blade support in some of the modern razors is beyond terrible. To each their own I guess, maybe some folks have super light beards and for them that doesn't matter that much, I really don't know.
It doesn't have blade chatter I think it's torqued at enough of an angle to avoid it. I'm just assuming the clamping has something to do with the noise, but maybe not, maybe it's the channel design or shape. It reminds me of a Progress, but better.

Top Bottom