What's new

First SR Shave Today

Time for the next installment ...

Yesterday marked three weeks of SR on a daily basis, albeit only WTG and XTG on my face with DE for AGT on my face and all neck work. Still, no nicks during the third week and I actually started to feel like I had some idea of what I'm doing. Confidence is definitely building through continued practice.

So, of course it was time to take the next step. Today I made a SR WTG pass on my neck and can state with absolute certainty that the angles on my neck are all completely different than the angels on my face. No nicks, and tolerable whisker removal WTG, but it felt awkward and tense all over again. Having made that next step I guess it's now a matter of continuing the practice on my face and climbing the curve for my neck. So here we go for a week of WTG on my neck to see if I can learn how my hands can accommodate my neck. I've watched all the videos, so I know it's possible...

And I want to offer a word of thanks to those that have suggested using the alum block to improve grip on the off hand to do a better skin stretch. It works and allows more focus on the stroke rather than that distracting feeling that the off hand is slipping, slipping, ...

-- Alan

Been a couple more weeks and today makes 5 weeks of straight razor shaving. 35 shaves under my belt (yep, I shave daily because it's FUN!). Still using my DE for all AGT and for XTG on my face, but getting consistently great shaves with no nicks, cuts, or weepers. Gotta find a good video to check out the grips for XTG on my neck ...

I know the Forestal will need refreshing before too long, so I've gotten my basic honing set and am practicing with cheapie razors I don't mind turning into butter knives. Amazingly, after a couple of less-than-stellar attempts, I'm able to shave with both of my self-honed razors. Not great edges, but more than passable. Another attempt or two, and I'll be ready to try refreshing the Forestal without too much trepidation.

Still in this for the long haul and really enjoying it.

-- Alan

So today I took the ATG plunge...

Wow! That was stressful. All the angles felt off, and even the grips I tried felt unstable. Got through it with middling results, but I got through it. SR-only today for the first time.

-- Alan

So today I took the ATG plunge...

Wow! That was stressful. All the angles felt off, and even the grips I tried felt unstable. Got through it with middling results, but I got through it. SR-only today for the first time.

-- Alan

It’s a huge step! Way to go!

Good job, I also started a couple of months ago SR shaving and enjoy it a lot. Still use a DE for those days I’m in a rush. Keep practicing and your technique will improve.

Time for another update. But first, a brief recap...

I've been SR shaving for almost two months now. Call it about 50 shaves. I started with only WTG on my cheeks and gradually progressed to WTG on my neck (I sport a goatee so no chin for me) and then added XTG on my face. I couldn't figure out XTG for my neck, but about 10 shaves ago I added ATG on my neck and face. I'm calling it a 2.5 pass shave (WTG all over, XTG on my face, and then ATG all over).

I have always finished with a pass with the DE to clean up. But today ... My SR passes seemed sufficient, even satisfactory. So, two months in and today was my first SR-only shave. And with a razor I honed myself to boot.

Gotta admit... I'm pretty dang pleased.

Monday the last of my supplies are due to arrive and I'll start making my pasted balsa kit a lá @Slash McCoy .

-- Alan

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm not much of one for posting on forums, but today was my first SR shave and I am ecstatic! This seemed like the right place to gush a bit.

I've been wet shaving (multiblade store razors) for all my life. I moved to an Edwin Jager DE89, Astra blades, and a Baxter of California silvertip brush (and more soaps than I can count) just over two years ago. I have loved the routine and gone from hating having to shave to truly looking forward to it on a daily basis.

After about 6 months with the DE I started drooling over straight razors. They both fascinated and terrified me. I spent more time than I care to admit reading reviews and checking catalogs, but always stopped short of plunking down the money and diving in. That all changed last week when I broke down and ordered a honed Dovo Forestal, an Omega 637 brush and a leather/linen strop. Everything arrived yesterday and this morning I screwed my courage to the sticking post and took the plunge.

View attachment 873971

I did one pass WTG on both cheeks, right handed for the right cheek and left handed for the left cheek. No cuts. No nicks. I then finished WTG with the DE. Results were passable. The places I shaved with the straight were not as clean as where I shaved with the DE, but I chalk that up to 10 minutes of practice with the SR and 2+ years building technique with the DE.

Just for giggles (after all this is FUN), I did a second WTG pass on my cheeks with the straight and removed significantly more hair. At least SAS and maybe even CCS. No doubt it will continue to improve as I learn what the heck it is I am doing.

Of course I finished my whole face with ATG and XTG because ... well just because. And of course I finished with an alum block and an ultra-light face lotion I use for AS.

Bottom line, I'm sold. I no longer expect to open my carotid, and I can't wait to give it another try tomorrow. I'll be taking it slow and sticking with my cheeks for a bit, but I can now see where this is going, and I like it. I am happy as a clam (except ... clams don't get to shave).

Thanks for reading. Just had to put it out there ...

Oh, two operational notes:
  1. I used a preshave of my own making (avocado oil and grapeseed oil 1:1). Works great with the DE, not so well with the SR. Seemed "sticky" on my first pass but was mostly gone for the second pass.
  2. That nice, creamy, THICK lather from the Don Marco was not optimal for the SR. I thinned it down significantly for the second pass and things went much better. Tomorrow I'll try with my Doc Elliott Classic which is typically a thinner lather.
Congratulations - smartest move you ever
made! Kind of like doing IT for the first time - not real good at but sure is fun. Get on the straight shaving forums and you will learn all you need to know. Great bunch of guys all willing to help. Warning though - it is an addiction and there is no known cure.

Well it's been a couple of weeks since the last update so I guess it's time to check in. I'm at about the 80 SR shave mark and will admit to being a card carrying SR shaver now. When I think of shaving, the picture in my head is a straight. I own four straits now, three of which I use in rotation. And I've started honing. (The 4th razor is an unused Torrey "Our 136" that I won't touch until my honing improves.) The daily routine is a 2.5 pass (WTG all over, XTG face, ATG all over) in the morning after the shower.

The conversion is so complete that about two weeks ago a coworker was talking about getting a scuttle to use with his cartridge razor. Hot lather really appealed to him. So I offered to loan him my EJ DE89 so he could see how it's really done. I was nervous that I'm miss having a DE available while still learning with the SR, but closed my eyes and took the plunge. He was so appreciative, and ended up ordering a DE to go with his new scuttle (really an insulated lathering bowl, but don't tell him that). And I haven't missed the DE one iota; which is really a good thing because he broke it. (Evidently he overtightened the head and stripped the threads.) He is replacing it, but to be honest, I don't miss it and would be fine if he hadn't offered.

So yeah, I'm now a full fledged straight razor shaver just coasting along until the 100 mark...

-- Alan

Very good Alan! You’ve come a long way pretty quickly. I’m glad you’re enjoying the challenge and the shaves!

Time for another update...

This weekend saw the three month mark, somewhere north of 90 shaves with the straight. It's basically become second nature. It's to the point that, even though my broken DE was replaced, it's just sitting there in the stand, watching me each morning as I reach for the straight razor.

The 2.5 pass shave is now my standard and weeks go by without so much as a nick or sting from the alum (unless I'm trying out a new razor or testing some of my own honing work).

I've added a Nanny 12000 to the earlier Norton 600/1000 and 4000/8000, and built a set of pasted balsa for polishing and daily maintenance. I'm really trying to get the hang of sharpening and then maintaining my razors.

I've acquired a slight case of RAD and now have 4 straights and have PIFed a 5th away for someone's restoration pleasure.

Next week will see my 100th shave with a straight, and at this point it's almost a non-event. I'm hooked and I know it.

And ... While I was drooling over some vintage 7-day boxed sets on eBay the other night, my wife looked over my shoulder and said, "Those are gorgeous! You should get them. I know you'd enjoy shaving with those every morning."

And THEN she asked if she could try my DE because she's tired of paying for cartridges ... Some things were just meant to be.

I'll probably make a final post to this thread soon after the century is complete. Until then, a hearty thanks to all that have offered advice, instruction, and encouragement through this journey. Your support has been invaluable.

Well gents, this morning's shave made 100 SR shaves for me. It was wonderful. Doc Elliott Classic Shave Soap (my favorite), Omega silvertip brush, my Dovo Forestal honed by @Sdm84 and maintained with the pasted balsa method from @Slash McCoy, and my trusty scuttle. My "standard" 2.5 pass shave with no nicks, cuts, or irritation resulting in a DFS-to-BBS shave before a day of sailboat racing. It doesn't get much better.
IMG_20180722_075831.jpg

It may be sacrilegious, or at least non-PC, but at this point the SR has become almost second nature. Don't get me wrong, I still have tons to learn and miles to go, but a great shave with no blood or even irritation is pretty much the norm for me now.

Of course, it didn't start out like that ...

Looking back I was somewhat astonished I survived the first shave. Everyone said that things would improve quickly, and they did. I sported the traditional "I'm learning to shave with a straight razor" badges daily for the first couple of weeks, then every few days for the first month. Even those were not great tearing gashes, and there was never a need for stitches or even a bandage. And no scarring or permanent marks. Somewhere about 15 - 20 shaves in, I stopped using the DE to complete my shave or touch up. After about 30 shaves the blood loss quickly dropped to every once in awhile. The next 40 shaves were spent on refining technique and learning that there's always more than one way to "do it right". Somewhere around 50 shaves or so I realized I basically didn't nick or cut myself anymore and the quality of my shaves were consistently CCS or better. The last 30 shaves or so have been completely blood free and generally DFS or better with shave times around 15 - 20 minutes, about the same time as my DE shaves used to be.

I've also learned that honing a SR is significantly harder than shaving with a SR. But, that's improving as well, though more slowly for me. While it may not be recommended to learn both at once, there is something to be said for developing the skills needed to maintain the necessary equipment. And there is a certain something about actually shaving with a razor that you honed.

So for those that are tempted, but scared of jumping into the deep end... C'mon in! The water's fine! And everyone here is eager to help you be successful. Key pieces of advice for me were:
  1. Start with two razors that you know have been honed by someone that knows what they are doing. You really should start with sharp blades and you don't have the experience to know what "sharp" is. Two razors allows you to have a sharp one in your hands while the other is out being touched up or honed. Yes, the Diamond Pasted Balsa Method means you never have a dull blade, but since your stopping technique will take time to develop, it's not a sure fire thing for you at the beginning. Start with two razors, or plan on acquiring the second within the first 3 weeks of your first shave.
  2. Go slow. Start with the flats of your cheeks and only do WTG for at least the first few shaves. You're learning how to hold the razor, what the edge feels like against your skin, what's too steep an angle, and what's too shallow, and ... how to move the razor with the contours of your face.
  3. A wet, slick lather is your friend. Sure, that mountain of whipped cream you made for DE shaving looks good, but you get a much better feel for the razor and better protection for your face by going wetter and thinner. If the soap isn't rinsing off the blade EASILY, then you are too dry.
  4. While we're talking about lather, relather, relather, relather. It takes 5 seconds and your face will thank you.
  5. Alum is a great post-shave feedback tool. If your face catches fire when you apply the alum, you likely had too steep of an angle and were scraping stubble off instead of cutting it off. The spine really should be able a spine width away from your skin most of the time. When you've got the hang of it, the alum won't sting, burn or be anything other than cooling.
  6. Go at your own pace. It's not a race. If you don't feel you're ready for your neck, chin, ATG or whatever, then don't do it yet. One of these days you'll just do it without actually making a decision whether you should. Enjoy your shave, even while learning.
  7. A BBS is something that happens when all the pieces click. It's not something you do. A Close Comfortable Shave (CCS) is the goal. A Darned Fine Shave (DFS) is a gift. And a Baby Bottom Smooth shave (BBS) is an unexpected joy to be relished all day long.
  8. Ask questions. Everyone here wants to help and there is a wealth of advice available just for the asking. Yes, you will get conflicting answers, but that's because there really is more than one "right" way. So adopt the ones that make sense or work for you. (Yes, this applies to everything I said above as well.)
So, that's the story of my first 100 SR shaves. Fear and loathing gave way to competence and enjoyment. The SR shave is now what I do, it's what I think of when I think of shaving (which is every single day).

Thanks to all that have offered advice, encouragement, and professional services. You've all made it a smooth road and a fun journey.

And to those lurking in the shadows thinking, "I wonder if I dare" ... Go for it! You won't regret it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well gents, this morning's shave made 100 SR shaves for me. It was wonderful. Doc Elliott Classic Shave Soap (my favorite), Omega silvertip brush, my Dovo Forestal honed by @Sdm84 and maintained with the pasted balsa method from @Slash McCoy, and my trusty scuttle. My "standard" 2.5 pass shave with no nicks, cuts, or irritation resulting in a DFS-to-BBS shave before a day of sailboat racing. It doesn't get much better.
View attachment 899470
Great write up and excellent advice. And I agree - JUST GO FOR IT! Be sure to read the "Newbie Honing Compendium" in the
It may be sacrilegious, or at least non-PC, but at this point the SR has become almost second nature. Don't get me wrong, I still have tons to learn and miles to go, but a great shave with no blood or even irritation is pretty much the norm for me now.

Of course, it didn't start out like that ...

Looking back I was somewhat astonished I survived the first shave. Everyone said that things would improve quickly, and they did. I sported the traditional "I'm learning to shave with a straight razor" badges daily for the first couple of weeks, then every few days for the first month. Even those were not great tearing gashes, and there was never a need for stitches or even a bandage. And no scarring or permanent marks. Somewhere about 15 - 20 shaves in, I stopped using the DE to complete my shave or touch up. After about 30 shaves the blood loss quickly dropped to every once in awhile. The next 40 shaves were spent on refining technique and learning that there's always more than one way to "do it right". Somewhere around 50 shaves or so I realized I basically didn't nick or cut myself anymore and the quality of my shaves were consistently CCS or better. The last 30 shaves or so have been completely blood free and generally DFS or better with shave times around 15 - 20 minutes, about the same time as my DE shaves used to be.

I've also learned that honing a SR is significantly harder than shaving with a SR. But, that's improving as well, though more slowly for me. While it may not be recommended to learn both at once, there is something to be said for developing the skills needed to maintain the necessary equipment. And there is a certain something about actually shaving with a razor that you honed.

So for those that are tempted, but scared of jumping into the deep end... C'mon in! The water's fine! And everyone here is eager to help you be successful. Key pieces of advice for me were:
  1. Start with two razors that you know have been honed by someone that knows what they are doing. You really should start with sharp blades and you don't have the experience to know what "sharp" is. Two razors allows you to have a sharp one in your hands while the other is out being touched up or honed. Yes, the Diamond Pasted Balsa Method means you never have a dull blade, but since your stopping technique will take time to develop, it's not a sure fire thing for you at the beginning. Start with two razors, or plan on acquiring the second within the first 3 weeks of your first shave.
  2. Go slow. Start with the flats of your cheeks and only do WTG for at least the first few shaves. You're learning how to hold the razor, what the edge feels like against your skin, what's too steep an angle, and what's too shallow, and ... how to move the razor with the contours of your face.
  3. A wet, slick lather is your friend. Sure, that mountain of whipped cream you made for DE shaving looks good, but you get a much better feel for the razor and better protection for your face by going wetter and thinner. If the soap isn't rinsing off the blade EASILY, then you are too dry.
  4. While we're talking about lather, relather, relather, relather. It takes 5 seconds and your face will thank you.
  5. Alum is a great post-shave feedback tool. If your face catches fire when you apply the alum, you likely had too steep of an angle and were scraping stubble off instead of cutting it off. The spine really should be able a spine width away from your skin most of the time. When you've got the hang of it, the alum won't sting, burn or be anything other than cooling.
  6. Go at your own pace. It's not a race. If you don't feel you're ready for your neck, chin, ATG or whatever, then don't do it yet. One of these days you'll just do it without actually making a decision whether you should. Enjoy your shave, even while learning.
  7. A BBS is something that happens when all the pieces click. It's not something you do. A Close Comfortable Shave (CCS) is the goal. A Darned Fine Shave (DFS) is a gift. And a Baby Bottom Smooth shave (BBS) is an unexpected joy to be relished all day long.
  8. Ask questions. Everyone here wants to help and there is a wealth of advice available just for the asking. Yes, you will get conflicting answers, but that's because there really is more than one "right" way. So adopt the ones that make sense or work for you. (Yes, this applies to everything I said above as well.)
So, that's the story of my first 100 SR shaves. Fear and loathing gave way to competence and enjoyment. The SR shave is now what I do, it's what I think of when I think of shaving (which is every single day).

Thanks to all that have offered advice, encouragement, and professional services. You've all made it a smooth road and a fun journey.

And to those lurking in the shadows thinking, "I wonder if I dare" ... Go for it! You won't regret it.
Great write up and great advice - well done my man!

I'm having a bit of trouble with the grain thing. My whole left cheek seems to be ATG in all directions. I guess I'm just a Rebel...lol. Also-why does the handle even have to be attached while shaving?? You don't hold the SR by the handle anyhow. It just seems to throw things off balance.
THANX

Hmmmm ... All ATG on left cheek sounds odd. How does it do with a DE?

As for the handle, I find it actually helps balance the blade. For WTG and XTG passes the handle is parallel to the stroke (right angle to the blade) and the weight is back by the tail to balance the blade. For the ATG pass the handle is extended in line with the blade and again counters the weight of the blade. For me those positions actually make the blade more managable and steady.

There is a slight challenge when going XTG along the chin line since the off hand seems to get in the way, but repositioning my off hand solves that.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the grain thing. My whole left cheek seems to be ATG in all directions. I guess I'm just a Rebel...lol. Also-why does the handle even have to be attached while shaving?? You don't hold the SR by the handle anyhow. It just seems to throw things off balance.
THANX

I happen to like the look, feel, and balance of the Western style SRs.

You could always try to find yourself a decent kamisori to try out.

Inspiring thread - and one that I am GOING to use as a blueprint for my move to bare blade shaving. Just as soon as I finish getting the hang of this DE thing. I figure I have a lot to learn about lathering soaps, which soaps I like, post shave treatments that work well for my skin, etc. Once that's knocked I want to follow this as a guide.

Thank you for posting your journey as it happened. Expert advice is valuable, but reading the stumbles and triumphs of a beginner as they tackle the learning curve is an irreplaceable source of motivation and information.

Top Bottom