What's new

First SR Shave Today

My first year in straight shaving has gone by in a flash. My first straight save was April 7th of last year and today, April 20, makes straight shave number 350 (or thereabouts). I shave exclusively with straights (unless doing a DE convert demo) and will until my hands shake too much to hold the razor with even a modicum of safety. I am a straight razor shaver to the core.

Since my previous post, I've acquired a few more razors (up to 16 plus two beaters I used to use for honing practice). Two of those are in the "to be restored" bin, and four are put away awaiting their turn in my rotation again. I've sold two of my "original" razors, as I've learned that I vastly prefer wider blades, heavier grinds, and that I have a pronounced fondness for antique blades (1800 - 1890). I also am in the process of giving a restored razor away as a B&B PIF. So all told, I have 9 razors in my 7-day rotation, so I need to send a few more into mothballs or find loving homes for them to keep them off the bathroom counter top. (Yes, I store the straights in my rotation in the bathroom using a Lucite test tube rack from Amazon.)

As I stated previously, my confidence and skill in using, maintaining, and restoring razors for daily use has grown tremendously over this year. My first SR shave had me with "91" already dialed as I brought the blade to my cheek (so that all I had to do was hit the final "1" when I opened my carotid). It was entirely unnecessary (and wouldn't have worked anyway because the phone screen locked before I made the first stroke). I started easy, always staying within, but near the edge of, my comfort level. My progress was quick at first. And by progress I mean that soon the blood stopped flowing. Soon the shaves got closer. Soon the shaves got more physically comfortable. But it took time for the shave time to go down, for the emotional comfort to go up, and for the time it took until 5-o'clock shadow to increase. I stand by the "Capable by 30, Comfortable by 100" mantra so often repeated on this board. At over 300 SR shaves, I'm still learning. Still improving. I expect that to be the case forever since my skin, face, and beard will continue to change over time. It really is a journey, and a very rewarding one.

One key for me was to send my first razors to well regarded members for a real honing. It let me know what was "me" and what was "the edge" when things didn't go as well as I hoped. (FYI, 99"% of the time it was me.) And it provided me with a standard against I could compare my work as I got into honing, maintaining, and restoring.

For some, the journey could stop there. And that's not a set of skills to be scoffed at. There's real love and devotion in learning all that and then sending your razors off to be touched up as needed. But for me, the journey continued. I fell into honing and restoring.

A honing key for me was learning the Burr method of bevel setting and adopting "the Method", or at least the pasted balsa part of the full Method (you see, I discovered that I really like rubbing steel on rocks to make it sharp). Followed precisely and religiously, I always have a sharp, smooth edge (which means any issue I now have is 100% me). Having a "foolproof" sharpening process meant that this fool could buy less pristine blades at cheaper prices and then "put some love into them" to make make them useful again. But that inevitably lead to learning how to pin and replace scales. Not a bad capability to have in the bag of tricks at all.

So I concur with most on this board, SR use is most definitely a journey. Or at least it can be if you have the patience and the interest to learn new skills. I find it incredibly satisfying, relaxing, and just plain fun. I don't consider myself a throwback to earlier times. I don't consider my self any "cooler", or more masculine, or more [insert your own adjective commonly associated with "cutthroat" razor use here].

But that's not completely true... I am more happy, more centered, more satisfied, and feel more "in the flow" since I've been SR shaving. I love this hobby. And I love this rabbit hole.

Good shaves to each and every one of you. May your shave journey take you to wonderful and unexpected places.

-- Alan

Very much appreciate you sharing you journey and how you've evolved since last April, Alan

chuck/Twelvefret

I forgot to mention that I couldn't have done it without all the fine folks at B&B. The advice and encouragement from the experts, as well as the support and commiseration from those closer to my experience, were invaluable to me. Everyone's comments sustained and guided me through the challenges and celebrated my successes when I came out the other side. This is an amazing community of gentlemen (and ladies). So, a big thank you to B&B for existing, and to all the members that make it what it is.

I forgot to mention that I couldn't have done it without all the fine folks at B&B. The advice and encouragement from the experts, as well as the support and commiseration from those closer to my experience, were invaluable to me. Everyone's comments sustained and guided me through the challenges and celebrated my successes when I came out the other side. This is an amazing community of gentlemen (and ladies). So, a big thank you to B&B for existing, and to all the members that make it what it is.
Agree, if it was not for forums like this, with people that are eager to share their wisdom and experience, and YouTube, I would never have been able to get to a proficient level in all the aspects required for a SR shave.
I literally have not met anybody else in person that shaves with a SR, apart from me. Ironically it requires technology to be able to go back to the old ways of doing things.

RumpleBearskin,

Congrads and well done. I too started only in Jan this year and have only been s8 shaving over the weekends and like you it's a learning process that's been eye opening. I love how it feels as I remove the fuzz with something in the early 90s or earlier.

What's really fun is learning what works n doesn't too. I've really tough whiskers and so far I dull blades in 3 shaves or less so the move towards harder and sharper blades have been very interesting.

Softer English steel and American can't seem to last more than 3 shaves before I gotta strop it with oxides or 0.5 lapping films.

It's a fun learning process!

Enjoy!

Mawashi

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I noticed I started SR shaving 20 days after you. First anniversary next Sunday and what a pleasure it has been. If you can find a Sheffield silver steel blade, you may find it to be a harder steel. Same with post WWII American steel.

Top Bottom