What's new

First SR Shave Today

I'm not much of one for posting on forums, but today was my first SR shave and I am ecstatic! This seemed like the right place to gush a bit.

I've been wet shaving (multiblade store razors) for all my life. I moved to an Edwin Jager DE89, Astra blades, and a Baxter of California silvertip brush (and more soaps than I can count) just over two years ago. I have loved the routine and gone from hating having to shave to truly looking forward to it on a daily basis.

After about 6 months with the DE I started drooling over straight razors. They both fascinated and terrified me. I spent more time than I care to admit reading reviews and checking catalogs, but always stopped short of plunking down the money and diving in. That all changed last week when I broke down and ordered a honed Dovo Forestal, an Omega 637 brush and a leather/linen strop. Everything arrived yesterday and this morning I screwed my courage to the sticking post and took the plunge.

First SR Setup 2018.04.07.jpg

I did one pass WTG on both cheeks, right handed for the right cheek and left handed for the left cheek. No cuts. No nicks. I then finished WTG with the DE. Results were passable. The places I shaved with the straight were not as clean as where I shaved with the DE, but I chalk that up to 10 minutes of practice with the SR and 2+ years building technique with the DE.

Just for giggles (after all this is FUN), I did a second WTG pass on my cheeks with the straight and removed significantly more hair. At least SAS and maybe even CCS. No doubt it will continue to improve as I learn what the heck it is I am doing.

Of course I finished my whole face with ATG and XTG because ... well just because. And of course I finished with an alum block and an ultra-light face lotion I use for AS.

Bottom line, I'm sold. I no longer expect to open my carotid, and I can't wait to give it another try tomorrow. I'll be taking it slow and sticking with my cheeks for a bit, but I can now see where this is going, and I like it. I am happy as a clam (except ... clams don't get to shave).

Thanks for reading. Just had to put it out there ...

Oh, two operational notes:
  1. I used a preshave of my own making (avocado oil and grapeseed oil 1:1). Works great with the DE, not so well with the SR. Seemed "sticky" on my first pass but was mostly gone for the second pass.
  2. That nice, creamy, THICK lather from the Don Marco was not optimal for the SR. I thinned it down significantly for the second pass and things went much better. Tomorrow I'll try with my Doc Elliott Classic which is typically a thinner lather.

Good stuff! Great looking SR!

I’ve been on my own SR/Feather SS journey the last couple months after 3 years DE shaving. Quite a fun experience.

I have forgone preshave oil altogether, I had the same “sticky” problem you did, except mine seemed to last the whole shave. I also concur with your lather assessment, slicker is better than thicker in all aspects!

Keep up the good work!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great looking set up. I have never shaved with a SR before. My dad has some that were his fathers that I will finish up with. They maybe beyond shaving with but I won't know until I have them in my hand. He has kept them in a small case in his shed so they maybe rusty. I concur with the slicker lather over thicker lather.

I applaud your courage! In '66 I began shaving with a DE and have yet to try a straight. Ah, tho a coward, I live to shave another day.

Good for you, sir.

Thank you all for your kind remarks and well wishes. As I mentioned before, I had a real (in my mind) fear and your comments have been very supportive.

And so on to DAY 2 of my SR journey ...

Bottom line, just as well as the first attempt.

Used the Doc Elliott Classic soap and had a more slick lather but problems with it drying out on me. Maybe I'm in the "too slow for the lather" phase? No worries though. A quick swish of the brush and all is made right.

One nick today, but to be honest it's in exactly the same place I have a tendency to nick with the DE. Can't blame that on the SR. The cheeks went so well that I broke my vow to only do my cheeks. Went on to the upper lip since it was just sitting there begging to be shaved. Not too bad. At least no damage even if I didn't get all the way up under the nostrils. Then, since I was feeling cocky, did the corners of my mouth to complete the cheek/lip combo. Of course, that's where I nicked myself. I did stick with only WTG with the straight and used the DE again to finish up.

So tomorrow is the first "work day" shave. Hoping I don't feel time pressure and make mistakes. A nice leisurely shave on the weekend was definitely the right way to start.

Congrats. I am starting to shave with a shavette too and it needs a bit of courage. I still remember the cuts from the first day and I have scars still. But they do go. So go ahead and enjoy your Sr.

I will use a Sr too one day, if I learn how to strop and hone.

Well, this morning completed my first week with the SR. Gotta say that the remainder of the week had its ups and downs. Gave myself a couple of good nicks that are still visible a day or two later. Learning the hard way that setting up the stroke is as important as how you complete the stroke. Bad position/alignment/angle all result in blood. Every time. Much better to back off and restart the stroke than to try to "correct" it mid-stroke.

All that said, 7 SR shaves completed! WTG and XTG. No ATG and still not doing my neck, but I notice that the shave on my upper lip and cheeks to jawline is smoother and stays cleaner longer than the areas I'm still using the DE. Bottom line, the SR give a great shave, but requires a bit of respect, care, and concentration.

So ... I'm in this for the long haul and off to a reasonable start. Tomorrow starts week two ...

Well, this morning completed my first week with the SR. Gotta say that the remainder of the week had its ups and downs. Gave myself a couple of good nicks that are still visible a day or two later. Learning the hard way that setting up the stroke is as important as how you complete the stroke. Bad position/alignment/angle all result in blood. Every time. Much better to back off and restart the stroke than to try to "correct" it mid-stroke.

All that said, 7 SR shaves completed! WTG and XTG. No ATG and still not doing my neck, but I notice that the shave on my upper lip and cheeks to jawline is smoother and stays cleaner longer than the areas I'm still using the DE. Bottom line, the SR give a great shave, but requires a bit of respect, care, and concentration.

So ... I'm in this for the long haul and off to a reasonable start. Tomorrow starts week two ...

Good stuff, congratulations on your first week!

I'm not much of one for posting on forums, but today was my first SR shave and I am ecstatic! This seemed like the right place to gush a bit.

I've been wet shaving (multiblade store razors) for all my life. I moved to an Edwin Jager DE89, Astra blades, and a Baxter of California silvertip brush (and more soaps than I can count) just over two years ago. I have loved the routine and gone from hating having to shave to truly looking forward to it on a daily basis.

After about 6 months with the DE I started drooling over straight razors. They both fascinated and terrified me. I spent more time than I care to admit reading reviews and checking catalogs, but always stopped short of plunking down the money and diving in. That all changed last week when I broke down and ordered a honed Dovo Forestal, an Omega 637 brush and a leather/linen strop. Everything arrived yesterday and this morning I screwed my courage to the sticking post and took the plunge.

View attachment 873971

I did one pass WTG on both cheeks, right handed for the right cheek and left handed for the left cheek. No cuts. No nicks. I then finished WTG with the DE. Results were passable. The places I shaved with the straight were not as clean as where I shaved with the DE, but I chalk that up to 10 minutes of practice with the SR and 2+ years building technique with the DE.

Just for giggles (after all this is FUN), I did a second WTG pass on my cheeks with the straight and removed significantly more hair. At least SAS and maybe even CCS. No doubt it will continue to improve as I learn what the heck it is I am doing.

Of course I finished my whole face with ATG and XTG because ... well just because. And of course I finished with an alum block and an ultra-light face lotion I use for AS.

Bottom line, I'm sold. I no longer expect to open my carotid, and I can't wait to give it another try tomorrow. I'll be taking it slow and sticking with my cheeks for a bit, but I can now see where this is going, and I like it. I am happy as a clam (except ... clams don't get to shave).

Thanks for reading. Just had to put it out there ...

Oh, two operational notes:
  1. I used a preshave of my own making (avocado oil and grapeseed oil 1:1). Works great with the DE, not so well with the SR. Seemed "sticky" on my first pass but was mostly gone for the second pass.
  2. That nice, creamy, THICK lather from the Don Marco was not optimal for the SR. I thinned it down significantly for the second pass and things went much better. Tomorrow I'll try with my Doc Elliott Classic which is typically a thinner lather.
Great! I’ve been a straight razor shaver since 83’. Remember, no pressure, just the weight of the blade at a 30 degree angle, very important. Shave side burn to jaw bone stretching your skin and use short no more than 1” strokes. Watch to make sure you keep that 30 degree angle when you shave over your jaw bon e an$ chin

Great! I’ve been a straight razor shaver since 83’. Remember, no pressure, just the weight of the blade at a 30 degree angle, very important. Shave side burn to jaw bone stretching your skin and use short no more than 1” strokes. Watch to make sure you keep that 30 degree angle when you shave over your jaw bon e an$ chin
After one pass WTG try a second pass XTG. I try to avoid going against the grain with a straight razor. ATG is where you will get ingrown hairs, irritation and cuts. I promise you, and I’ve been at this 35 years, if your razor is shave ready one pass WTG and a second XTG your face will be baby butt smooth. Remember when you strop weight of the blade only no pressure or you will ruin the edge. Pick up a couple more razors so you can rotate and go months without honing. Congratulations and good luck.

Figured I'd check in once again. And again, thanks to all for the support and advice. Extremely helpful to one just starting this journey.

This morning marked the end of my second week with the SR. 14 SR shaves in the books. This week was a significant improvement over the first week. Only three minor nicks with WTG and XTG on my cheeks and upper lip (I sport a goatee and still haven't mustered the courage for my neck or any ATG). And I've managed to put a few nicks in the strop. Note to other novitiates: Don't let the edge touch the strop until you have started the stroke. If you do, you run the risk of a slight backward movement as you start, and the edge will bite the strop.

I have managed to dull my edge a bit, probably due to applying pressure on the edge while stropping. (That advice came a little to late for this newbie.) Not to worry, my Norton hone kit (220/1000, 4000/8000, and flattening stone) are on the way so I can completely kill the edge before sending it out for professional help. LOL!

So, after two full weeks, I'm committed. Technique is improving and confidence is growing. And I'm jumping into the next aspect of this adventure, honing.

Oh yes, I'm also looking for my second razor. See? Committed.

More later...

Top Bottom