What's new

First Shavette ever - Weck Sextoblade

While love my merkurs, I always wanted to try a straight. Earlier this year I got a sight unseen from Whipped Dogs & gave it a try. I worked out how to use it and it gave a nice shave, but after a month of the stropping routine, I just gave it up as it was too time consuming to deal with daily. But it gave a nice shave, even with the learning curve though, so I decided to try a shavette. After copious lurking here, everyone said great things about the Weck Sextoblade, so I grabbed one on the bay of E & gave it a try. As for the review, in short, I love it.

I was impressed, it handled well and really gave a smooth performance. The blade stiffener works like training wheels to guide you to the right angle. Smooth shave and you get the "feel" of what that blade is doing (tugging or cutting or smoothly passing etc) almost like a straight. Nice grip and balance as well. I finished up the last few passes without the guard, but got one small under-chin weeper for my impatience. Still, practice, practice…

Now if I hadn’t already used a Straight I might have been a little apprehensive, but that blade guard works well, like training wheels. Now, I have a Vandyke and I prefer a straight for over my Merkur because I find it easier to give it a proper, fine “edge” because you with a straight can really see and feel what’s being cut.. Of course, with a Vandyke, I don’t try the really complicated under nose maneuvers, so YMMV.

I thought the personna blades were plenty sharp enough but I also ordered a few Fromm/Diane (or whatever they’re called) blades to mix it up a bit.

Short version, I loved it, and for those who wanted to try a shavette, I can definitely recommend it. They aren’t hard to find, but make sure to get one with the blade guard.

Did you get the REAL one with straight razor scales? the most common ones out there are the stainless steel scales which are very similar to the hair shapers and medical Wecks. If so, you got a great razor. Still my favorite blade beating out the Feather AC blades.

When you go Weck, you never go back.

After copious lurking here, everyone said great things about the Weck Sextoblade, so I grabbed one on the bay of E & gave it a try. As for the review, in short, I love it.
Excellent! I love all the Wecks. For the money, it's the best shavette out there. You started smartly!

Did you get the REAL one with straight razor scales?
This statement has me curious. What's wrong with the Wecks with the SS scales?

Excellent! I love all the Wecks. For the money, it's the best shavette out there. You started smartly!

This statement has me curious. What's wrong with the Wecks with the SS scales?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way it shaves, although it is slightly shorter and the balance is different. Personally, since I started out with those, I found them to be a little more nimble than the regular straight razor version, although the regular straight version is classier looking and harder to find. It is like what I said in a different thread about the new safety razors using the Feather AC blades - they are all good but it probably is because they all are using the Feather AC blade.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way it shaves, although it is slightly shorter and the balance is different.
I'll agree that the balance is off, because of the additional weight of the stainless steel as opposed to the plastic scales of the original..... but they are the same size. What are you saying is shorter?

It's the full sextoblade.

However, I've seen the newer, shorter proper hair shaver versions though, and am thinking of getting one for travel.

Using my Merkur is faster, but the sextoblade is just more enjoyable.

I'll soon start looking for smaller candidates (using half DEs) versions of a shavette, like the famous DOVO et alI'd really like a smaller version for travel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom