What's new

First Shave with a Tech

So I decided to give my beat up superspeed (40's no date code) a break and pick up a Ball handled strait bar tech from ebay. I just tried it out and am a little confused. I've always read that techs and superspeeds are about comparable and very mild razors. I kept everything the same in my routine except for the razor in question The tech felt very aggressive compared to my Superspeed. After the shave was over I looked at the razor next to the Superspeed and noticed that it has more of a subtle curve in the head then the Superspeed. Could this be what threw me off?

For grins, my set up was as so:

1. Hot shower.
2. Make a lather with Crabtree and Evelin Sandlwood Soap and an CE Edwing Jagger Best Badger brush.
3. Lather some more on my face.
4. WTG using the Tech and a brand new Derby Extra blade.
5. Rinse and lather.
6. ATG
7. Rinse and lather.
8. XTG
9. Rinse.
10. Prorasso Pre-Shave cream as an aftershave balm.

My normal rotation is usually a week long per each razor. 40's Superspeed, Merkur 38C, Merkur Futur on 1.5.

I recently picked up a Tech and also found it to be very efficient. Its a top 3 razor for me now. I hav always heard it described as mild, which it is, but also very efficient and smooth. I prefer it to my LC and SC Gillettes. Gives me a closer and irritation free shave.

After the shave was over I looked at the razor next to the Superspeed and noticed that it has more of a subtle curve in the head then the Superspeed. Could this be what threw me off?
More about this curve... Are you saying that one of the safety bars is bent, or do you mean the by-design, lateral curve of the head?

I just love my techs, very underated razor, with the right blade, gives a great shave. And the best thing is; they made millions and millions of them and they are dirt cheap to buy and you can easily find them at antique stores and flea markets. They are also fool proof and built to last forever.

Do you have an early tech (D lather relief cut outs)?

They are a tad more aggressive than the later flat slot lather relief slot models.

Do you have an early tech (D lather relief cut outs)?

They are a tad more aggressive than the later flat slot lather relief slot models.

They are oval cut outs so I don't think it's an early tech. I did enjoy the shave but it was just a bit more aggressive then I was expecting. I am still recovering from a fight with my fat handled long comb so I was hoping for a mild shave. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom