What's new

First shave with a Schick Injector

Well, I finally got around to using one of my Schick Injectors. I've been rotating through my stash and it's turn came about. With a fresh blade inside and a nice base of Ogalala (spelling?) Bay Rum soap lathered on the 'ol whisker farm, I gave it a go. End result, one of the best shaves I've had to date. Finished it all off with some Lucky Tiger Bay Rum after shave for effect. I can honestly say that it was enjoyable and provided me with a great Sunday morning face. The only thing I found you have to do is mind the head angle, which was quite easy. I've mainly been using double edge types, with a Gem G being the only other single I've used. I like that one as well, but I prefer the smaller head of the Schick. I'll definitely keep the Schicks in my rotation.

.. I'll definitely keep the Schicks in my rotation.

Great razor. I've been using one almost exclusively for the past week and a half or so (one day when I had absolutely no time I used a cartridge razor). Maybe part of the secret is using it over and over again, so I'm getting better at it, but so far I think it provides me with a better shave than I was getting from DEs.

I shaved today with a 70's model Schick. I've always liked the way they shave and prefer them when I just want a quicky instead of the full experience.

This thread inspires me to try them.
When I aquired my uncles old stuff he a couple of old straights (Torrey and Wostie) and a few DE's
(a redtip SS, old fat handled tech and a long handle adjustable and two shick injectors..)
I have been using the straights and the DE's, but have never even given those shicks a passing thought...
till now, somehow..
:biggrin:

I think I'll have to dig them out of the box and give them a go
sometimes a fella needs a little push...
thanks gents!

I am a Wet Shaver who likes to try a little bit of everything. As such I have about 8 DE razors, 5 SE Gems, and 1 Schick Injector. My couple of shaves with the Injector have been very pleasant. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

No question that the Schick injector adjustable razor that I recently purchased from Stubblefield via BST gives a really great shave. I still love the smooth shaves I get from my fatboy (with Israeli Personnas), but the Schick is very competitive for a daily razor all things considered.

Having tried and failed with DE shaving and been back on cartridges for a good few months I decided to try a Schick Injector.

Had my first shave today.

I used Trumpers Coral skin food, then Trumpers Violet cream.
One WTG pass, one ATG pass then some tidying up.
Alum block and then more coral skin food.

Not great results.
Pretty good shave on cheeks down to jaw line, a bit rough below the chin and on the neck.
Several nicks which the Alum block alone did not stop (sorted out quickly with SENS sticks).
A little disappointed as I did not expect to get nicks (based on what people say about these razors).

I have an injector that I use from time to time. I feel it takes a little longer to get a safe BBS shave but it is worth it and fantastic!

Having tried and failed with DE shaving and been back on cartridges for a good few months I decided to try a Schick Injector.

Had my first shave today.

I used Trumpers Coral skin food, then Trumpers Violet cream.
One WTG pass, one ATG pass then some tidying up.
Alum block and then more coral skin food.

Not great results.
Pretty good shave on cheeks down to jaw line, a bit rough below the chin and on the neck.
Several nicks which the Alum block alone did not stop (sorted out quickly with SENS sticks).
A little disappointed as I did not expect to get nicks (based on what people say about these razors).

I have not given up just yet.

I have used them for 50+ years and there is a learning curve as with all safety razors but it seemed to be shorter than with DEs and SEs. As with all safety razors; quality of blade used is most important and the Schick Platinum series for me was outstanding.

I am a Wet Shaver who likes to try a little bit of everything. As such I have about 8 DE razors, 5 SE Gems, and 1 Schick Injector. My couple of shaves with the Injector have been very pleasant. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

A little bit of everything, eh? Sound like we still need to get you a straight, Rolls Razor, AutoStrop, and few other odds and ends...

I have not given up just yet.

Good! I have tried two blades in my Injector - one from a local drugstore called Rite Aid and the other from the electron microscopy supplier Ted Pella - the stainless, coated Injector blades. Both give excellent shaves and I believe them to be the same thing. But that doesn't mean there are not substandard blades out there. If you think it may be the blade consider trying to find a second brand or type. Good luck with the Injector - both my type G and type Ls give really really wonderful shaves.

Good! I have tried two blades in my Injector - one from a local drugstore called Rite Aid and the other from the electron microscopy supplier Ted Pella - the stainless, coated Injector blades. Both give excellent shaves and I believe them to be the same thing. But that doesn't mean there are not substandard blades out there. If you think it may be the blade consider trying to find a second brand or type. Good luck with the Injector - both my type G and type Ls give really really wonderful shaves.

From a local drugstore called Rite Aid? Sounds exotic. I wonder if they have them over in that little podunk Wisconsin town Nozzlejockey is from. What was it called again? Green Bay? Never heard of it. :tongue:

Seriously though those two blades are the same you say? What were the Rite Aid blades you picked up anyway? We they the store's brand or were they the Schick blades?

From a local drugstore called Rite Aid? Sounds exotic. I wonder if they have them over in that little podunk Wisconsin town Nozzlejockey is from. What was it called again? Green Bay? Never heard of it. :tongue:

Seriously though those two blades are the same you say? What were the Rite Aid blades you picked up anyway? We they the store's brand or were they the Schick blades?

Well, considering ItsMikeE is in London, I don't really know if Rite Aid is a local chain across the pond. :biggrin: And yes, they were the Rite Aid branded blades. I ordered Pella blades and then bought a pack from Rite Aid as the Pella blades hadn't arrived yet and I had an Injector sitting there, bladeless, and mocking me. I have used several blades from both the Rite Aid dispenser and the Pella dispenser and I am convinced they are the same thing - same shave, same longevity, same case.

I just recently started with the injector and I'm finding it hard to go back to my DE's.

Any blade that isn't made by schick is probably made by ASR. I've tried the blades from EMS - which I believe to be the same as Ted Pella (and probably the same as CVS/Rite-Aid/Personna) and they are very nice smooth blades, but only good for 3-4 shaves which is fine with me.

Top Bottom