What's new

First shave with a Gillette Guard today

I ordered a few things from West Coast Shaving last week and added a couple of Gillette Guard razors to try them out. I figured they might be a nice option for carry on luggage and/or traveling.

I have to say, the handle struck me as quite nice! It's a nice molded three dimensional shape and has some good ribbing and knurling so you won't lose grip on it. The razor is feather light as you might expect. The shave was just fine, very easy, very smooth. It took a little work to get under my nose since the cartridge is a bit bigger than my DE. Not quite as close a shave overall as my DE but certainly acceptable. I'd say it is by far the best single blade disposable razor I've ever used. I'll probably keep a few on hand if I need them for traveling.

Scott

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've been hooked since my first use too. Perfect razor for traveling or just anyone that wants to use a cartridge.

I am preparing for a business trip so I ordered a few Guards and blades. First shave with one this morning and it was amazing compared to my last cartridge shave. As has been noted it is not as close as I can get with my DE, but for a quick irritation free shave it is very good. Gillette could put Dollar Shave Club and all the other budget shave options out of business if they marketed these worldwide.

Gillette could put Dollar Shave Club and all the other budget shave options out of business if they marketed these worldwide.

But they won't.
Gillette is terrified their high end Fusion/M3 users might prefer the Guard to their present systems.
Which will lead to a substantial loss of revenue for Gillette.
One B&B vendor was sent a cease and desist notice from Gillettes lawyers for marketing the Guard.

Second shave last night. I used a can of goo I have laying around just to test if I can get away with it on my trip instead of packing soap and a brush. I got a close comfortable shave. If the carts that I used 5 years ago shaved like the Guard I probably never would have gotten into DE shaving. It is true that I know my face better now and my technique has greatly improved, but I still can not get a shave like this with expensive multi-blade carts. I am probably going to pick up a larger pack of the blades so that I can keep them around for when I need to shave in a hurry.

But they won't.
Gillette is terrified their high end Fusion/M3 users might prefer the Guard to their present systems.
Which will lead to a substantial loss of revenue for Gillette.
One B&B vendor was sent a cease and desist notice from Gillettes lawyers for marketing the Guard.
I ordered from an Indian vendor on Ebay and paid around 30 cents per cart. That looked like the best deal, but you have to wait a few weeks to receive it.

Top Bottom