What's new

First shave ever

Last night I shaved for the first time and I did everything "the wrong way", but it went better than I expected.

The first thing I did wrong was decide to go straight to using a straight razor.
The second was deciding to skip getting a good ready-to-shave razor, and instead get a gold dollar 1996 and hone it myself. (I have DMT stones for my woodworking tools)
The third was deciding to try it out before getting proper soap and a brush.

I was originally planning to get a DE razor to start, but while I was doing research I ended up looking at more and more SR stuff. When I looked into honing and saw how straightforward it was I decided to get the gold dollar. It came, and I set the bevel just fine, but my stones only go up to 9 micron. after some experimentation I got it treetopping at a 1/4" by using the brown card stock back of a notebook. Then I stropped it (I got the strop from an estate sale. it says "perfection" and "Cleveland" most of the other words are rubbed off). I was excited to try it out, so I did. I didn't have shave soap, so I just used the soap in the bathroom that seemed like it would work best. I just did one pass on my neck and underside of my chin, then touched up the spots I missed. I wasn't trying to get very close, just get a feel for shaving before I try my whole face.

What I learned:
The razor was surprisingly intuitive to hold and use.
I need shave soap.
I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

So, that's my story. I hope it was mildly entertaining. Feel free to ask me any questions.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A bit amusing but an admirable effort. No problem starting with a straight razor rather than a DE though. First of all, you need a sharp razor and it would be good to get a 12k hone to finish on. If you want to send it to me to hone it so you will know what it should feel like, send it to me and I’ll hone it for you. Just PM me for my address. Don’t give up. There will be bumps in the beginning but it isn’t terribly difficult. There is plenty of good advice available on this forum. Congratulations on your decision and welcome aboard. Keep in mind, there was a time before the DE was invented and every boy had to go through it. Not complicated - just shaving. Also, read the following:

Newbie Honing Compendium

Last night I shaved for the first time and I did everything "the wrong way", but it went better than I expected.

The first thing I did wrong was decide to go straight to using a straight razor.
The second was deciding to skip getting a good ready-to-shave razor, and instead get a gold dollar 1996 and hone it myself. (I have DMT stones for my woodworking tools)
The third was deciding to try it out before getting proper soap and a brush.

I was originally planning to get a DE razor to start, but while I was doing research I ended up looking at more and more SR stuff. When I looked into honing and saw how straightforward it was I decided to get the gold dollar. It came, and I set the bevel just fine, but my stones only go up to 9 micron. after some experimentation I got it treetopping at a 1/4" by using the brown card stock back of a notebook. Then I stropped it (I got the strop from an estate sale. it says "perfection" and "Cleveland" most of the other words are rubbed off). I was excited to try it out, so I did. I didn't have shave soap, so I just used the soap in the bathroom that seemed like it would work best. I just did one pass on my neck and underside of my chin, then touched up the spots I missed. I wasn't trying to get very close, just get a feel for shaving before I try my whole face.

What I learned:
The razor was surprisingly intuitive to hold and use.
I need shave soap.
I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

So, that's my story. I hope it was mildly entertaining. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Perfect and I enjoyed reading your first experience. :a14:

Lots of folks to help including my mentor @steveclarkus :117:

I do plan to get the 3m films to try, and probably a 12k stone of some sort in the future. I'm not too worried about the edge quality I got (and probably more proud than I should be about getting it on the back of a notebook). The little bit of irritation I had is 90% from the soap. I used my 1yo's baby soap, and it was only a little bit better than dry.
I haven't totally decided on what soap to get. I'm leaning toward williams because it's cheap, and then I can waste the whole bar practicing lathering.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great!

Sounds like you did well. Get some good soap, I'm getting partial to Taylor of Old Bond Street lime, but all they had last time was sandalwood. And get a good badger hair brush. I usually give BullGoose Shaving and West Coast Shaving some business. Badger hair brush good. Silvertip Badger Shaving Brushes. I chopped the tops and drilled out a couple of old vintage Ever Ready brushes and replaced the knot with some good badger.

Williams soap sucks, in my humble opinion. Save yourself some headaches and frustration and get some quality soap.

I'd take steveclarkus up on his offer of honing. A good honemiester will get the edge scary sharp for you. Lynn Abrams did a couple of mine and when I put them close to my face the whiskers just jump off and run down the drain screaming.

You did well. Keep it up.

Last edited:
second shave: Actual shaving soap made a huge difference, but my technique ATG sucks. I'll probably watch some vids before next time.

We all have to start somewhere with it. Keep at it and you will improve with time . Also if you don't mind used items. I could send you some soaps to try. Just message me if you'd like to try some different soaps.

Third shave: Morning instead of evening this time. I tried face lather instead of bowl lather. it was faster, but didn't build up as much. It didn't seem to make a difference shaving though.
ATG passes worked ok this time. I think I can actually call this shave close. I'll need to start thinking about face mapping. the right side of my neck/chin has a funny swirl just where the chin curves down to the neck.

9th (maybe 10th) shave was this morning. I used some Mikes soap (Thanks Dick peck) it's possible it gave a little more protection than the Williams I've been using, but it could also be technique. I'll be using it for at least the next handful of shaves.
I can consistently get a close shave, but can still feel stubble if I rub directly against the grain. Is it possible to get close enough that I wouldn't feel that at all?
I'm going to try a full face shave before long. My younger brother is harassing me, and my wife is curious. I'm just worried because I haven't seen my face without hair for 10 years, and I don't know what's hiding under the beard.

I will take time to get that BBS (Baby Button Smooth )feel.I would recommend just taking it slow and learn to use you razor and develop muscle memory from the repetitive process of using your staight.As time goes by it will become second nature. By the time you get to 100 shaves you will see a lot of improvment.

I can consistently get a close shave, but can still feel stubble if I rub directly against the grain. Is it possible to get close enough that I wouldn't feel that at all?

Yes, absolutely - you will however need to go against the grain. I have a similar number of SR shaves done as you. I very recently began going ATG with my Feather shavette, and found it surprisingly forgiving.

However key to this was use of a wet lather. When I have inadvertently gone ATG with a dryer lather, I have cut myself. The wetter lather makes a massive, massive difference. And would recommend a really good quality shaving cream or soap as a good investment.

ETA: just noticed you said you were already going ATG, apologies. However the tip about a wet lather may still be pertinent. If you haven't done so, give it a try!

Luke

Top Bottom