What's new

First, Second and Third impressions of the SR 3118

I was thinking about getting rid of my Shavemac 429, which is a bit big for me, and was thinking about getting a companion for my new 3118. The 429 just seems to have too big of a bloom and when I lather up it pretty much takes up my entire cheek. I would want something smaller then what the 429 is, but perhaps just a tad bigger then the 3118. I was also thinking that having something in either Finest or Silvertip would be nice.

I think you are going about this all wrong, Clay. You seem to be missing some spots while shaving. Now I know that the chin and lip area can be difficult, but don't give up. If you start shaving that area as well you will find a 23mm knot just fine. :biggrin:

Clay, I gotta second the motion on the 3118. I pulled the trigger on one a few months ago after reading Ron's thread about it. It is most definitely a sweet little brush, especially for face lathering. For me it works equally well with my shave sticks and creams. I ordered it to use as a travel brush, but it splits equal time with my larger Shavemac.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I received my SR 3118. I have used this brush everyday since, in order to get a better feel for it. I have to say, It is the perfect brush for me.

At first I feared that the 18MM knot would be too small, I feared this to the point of posting questions about getting a new brush that was bigger then this one, all before I even got the 3118. But now, after almost 2 weeks of use I find that it is the perfect size for my face, and the perfect brush for face lathering. I have used a different soap or cream every night and have been able to produce great lather with each and every item. My rotation consists of:

Williams Mug
L’ome en Durance (a truly fabulous soap)
TGQ Highlander
C&E Sandlewood
Mitchells/Kent Wool Fat (my personal all time favorite)
QED Lemon & Cedarwood Stick
MamaBear Celestial Waters

Proraso cream
TOBS Avocado cream
Speick cream (my favorite of the creams)

I know it’s not a very impressive list, but I feel that it’s a pretty diverse group that allowed me to really explore how my SR 3118 performed on different kinds of soaps and creams.

The SR 3118, for me at least, seems to be the perfect all around brush. It’s size, it’s price, it’s ability to be used with soaps or creams are all benefits of this great little brush.

Thanks again to Valdez for this trasaction.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I received my SR 3118. I have used this brush everyday sense, in order to get a better feel for it. I have to say, It is the perfect brush for me.

At first I feared that the 18MM knot would be too small, I feared this to the point of posting questions about getting a new brush that was bigger then this one, all before I even got the 3118. But now, after almost 2 weeks of use I find that it is the perfect size for my face, and the perfect brush for face lathering. I have used a different soap or cream every night and have been able to produce great lather with each and every item. My rotation consists of:

Williams Mug
L’ome en Durance (a truly fabulous soap)
TGQ Highlander
C&E Sandlewood
Mitchells/Kent Wool Fat (my personal all time favorite)
QED Lemon & Cedarwood Stick
MamaBear Celestial Waters

Proraso cream
TOBS Avocado cream
Speick cream (my favorite of the creams)

I know it’s not a very impressive list, but I feel that it’s a pretty diverse group that allowed me to really explore how my SR 3118 performed on different kinds of soaps and creams.

The SR 3118, for me at least, seems to be the perfect all around brush. It’s size, it’s price, it’s ability to be used with soaps or creams are all benefits of this great little brush.

Thanks again to Valdez for this trasaction.

Hey Clay,

Would you mind posting a picture of the SR next to your EJ? I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

J

OK, here are a few pics of the burshes.

First one is the SR 3118 next to the Edwin Jagger Small in Best.
full

The next one is an overhead view of these two.
full

Then we have the happy family of four.
From left to right we have the Edwin Jagger Small in Best. The SR3118 in Silvertip. A Tweezerman and a Shavemac 429 in finest.
full

Then an overhead of the family.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice brush collection. The Il Bambino is also the star of my four brush collection. Great Brush.
Happy Shaving

Those pics are very helpful, thanks Clay. 3118 actually looks similar in size to the Rooney Style 1 Small, I may have to eventually pick one up and compare, don't believe I've seen a direct comparison.

J

Those pics are very helpful, thanks Clay. 3118 actually looks similar in size to the Rooney Style 1 Small, I may have to eventually pick one up and compare, don't believe I've seen a direct comparison.

J

I've been thinking hard about getting a Rooney Small. After using this 3118 for awhile now I realize that I love it's size, it's perfect for me. My Shavemac 429 is too big, so I thought I might either sell or see about trading my 429 and getting a Rooney small as a companion brush for the 3118. That way I don't wear out my baby too soon. But I don't know, I like the 429 well enough, perhaps I should leave well enough along and just be happy with what I have.

I've been thinking hard about getting a Rooney Small. After using this 3118 for awhile now I realize that I love it's size, it's perfect for me. My Shavemac 429 is too big, so I thought I might either sell or see about trading my 429 and getting a Rooney small as a companion brush for the 3118. That way I don't wear out my baby too soon. But I don't know, I like the 429 well enough, perhaps I should leave well enough along and just be happy with what I have.

Hm... I have one (or two), maybe we could arrange a temporary swap :eek:

J

clay-

after i missed out on that 3118 i went and picked up a new one. it really is a fantastic brush. i have been using mine mostly with mwf lathering on my face. absolutely wonderful. with the mwf i get enough lather for 3-4 passes without any problems. for a 18mm knot the bloom is hugh and savile rows are nice and dense to boot. i would guess it is around 10mm shorter loft than my 3722 making it a bit firmer and more suitable for soaps.

compared to the simpson case (thnx j) this brush is hugh. at least 5mm more loft. the bloom on the case is just bigger than a quarter while the 3118 is well over the size of a silver dollar.

truely i think this would be a great starting point for a newbie looking to get into a silver tip- nice price, nice and soft and it can do it all.

cheers,
ryan

btw- great pics clay!

clay-

after i missed out on that 3118 i went and picked up a new one. it really is a fantastic brush. i have been using mine mostly with mwf lathering on my face. absolutely wonderful. with the mwf i get enough lather for 3-4 passes without any problems. for a 18mm knot the bloom is hugh and savile rows are nice and dense to boot. i would guess it is around 10mm shorter loft than my 3722 making it a bit firmer and more suitable for soaps.

compared to the simpson case (thnx j) this brush is hugh. at least 5mm more loft. the bloom on the case is just bigger than a quarter while the 3118 is well over the size of a silver dollar.

truely i think this would be a great starting point for a newbie looking to get into a silver tip- nice price, nice and soft and it can do it all.

cheers,
ryan

btw- great pics clay!

Ryan, glad to hear that you were albe to score a 3118 also, and I agree, it is a wonderful little brush that is the perfect size.

I would also agree that this is a great way for someone who has not experienced the luxury of a silvertip to do so at a very reasonable price. They may find that it’s the only silvertip they ever need.

Don't talk "Crazy"

I know, who am I kidding. This SBAD never lets you be happy with what you have. Heck, I’ve already stated that I have the perfect brush in the 3118, and here I am talking about getting a bloody Rooney!! Ahhhhh, what’s wrong with me!?

Top Bottom