What's new

First, Second and Third impressions of the SR 3118

I know, it's only my first time using it, and I'll reserve total judgment until I get a few weeks of use under my belt. However, if it comes close in performance as this evening then I think I may have found my new everyday brush.

I know, the delivery was suppa fast!! It's a cute little brush that performed very nice this evening. I was honestly surprised as how nice the brush was. After I ordered it I started to worry that it may be too small, only have an 18mm knot and all. But after comparing it to my Edwin Jagger Small, which has a 20MM knot, the Savile Row is actually bigger in loft size and overall height. And the Savile Row is much more densely packed then the Jagger brush, and the Savile has a nice bulb shape. Basically, I'm in love.

:biggrin: Ha, I shudder to even think about it. I wonder if my wife would be jealous...

In any case if this new brush continues to perform like it did tonight, I may just sell the Edwin Jagger Small, maybe even the Shavemac 429 that I feel is too big. I'd have more money for more soaps that way!!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Clay...First the important stuff...How 'Bout those Indianapolis Colts?!... Also the pic of your daughter and you...priceless dude!

Now as to your new brush....FANTASTIC that you are experiencing such delight in using it. I remember that Ron had done an extensive pictorial review of that particular brush and it almost pushed me over the edge to buy one! You have come a long way since your early days on B&B and is a great example of how this hobby really grabs you....

One more thing..... you SNAGGED that brush on the BST forum SO QUICKLY that I'm afraid my title of "The Shark" might end up being shared if you continue! Enjoy Boogie!

Clay...First the important stuff...How 'Bout those Indianapolis Colts?!... Also the pic of your daughter and you...priceless dude!

Now as to your new brush....FANTASTIC that you are experiencing such delight in using it. I remember that Ron had done an extensive pictorial review of that particular brush and it almost pushed me over the edge to buy one! You have come a long way since your early days on B&B and is a great example of how this hobby really grabs you....

One more thing..... you SNAGGED that brush on the BST forum SO QUICKLY that I'm afraid my title of "The Shark" might end up being shared if you continue! Enjoy Boogie!

Hey Mike, thanks for the complements, I really appreciate that. I’m glad my picture didn’t rob you of your sight, but the cute little one helps offset the Ogre in the picture!!:biggrin:

And man what a Colts game last night. I had to stay up and watch the whole thing, so I’m dragging this morning, but dear sweet God it was awesome. The perfect way to start out a new season. I have to admit, I was a little nervous after all the post season losses we had. I know it’s only been one game, but if our defense can remain as stout as they were last night, or even mostly that stout through the season, every other team better watch out!!

I happened to get extremely lucky on that brush. I had been in the market for a new brush for a while as I’d come to realize that the Shavemac 429 was just a tad too big for my face, and the Edwin Jagger Small was too small, and I had been trolling the Buy/Sell/Trade forums for a long time trying to find me a new brush. Then one day, while being particularly useless at work, I was trolling and just happened onto that 3118 post and had to act. After last night’s shave I’m very glad I did. I plan to use it for the next couple weeks to really get a feel for it, and really perfect my use of it. But really, if it’s as good as it was last night, the 429 and EJ Small may be on the chopping block. If I do that, I’d have some extra money and may look to get a companion brush for my little guy.

Yeah - I saw the for sale post about 1 minute after he posted it, and was VERY tempted. But I already have a 3320 so I figured there probably wasn't much of a point in having both the 20mm & 18mm knots. But the price was so good tha I almost pounced anyway.....I'm glad you like it Clay. I really love the knot of the 3320 as well.

Yeah - I saw the for sale post about 1 minute after he posted it, and was VERY tempted. But I already have a 3320 so I figured there probably wasn't much of a point in having both the 20mm & 18mm knots. But the price was so good tha I almost pounced anyway.....I'm glad you like it Clay. I really love the knot of the 3320 as well.

Thanks Dusty, I’m pretty glad you decided to hold off, thanks!!

As far as the 3320 you have, I was thinking about getting rid of my Shavemac 429, which is a bit big for me, and was thinking about getting a companion for my new 3118. The 429 just seems to have too big of a bloom and when I lather up it pretty much takes up my entire cheek. I would want something smaller then what the 429 is, but perhaps just a tad bigger then the 3118. I was also thinking that having something in either Finest or Silvertip would be nice. Do you think the 3320 would be between the 429 and 3118 in size.

I was on that post about 3 minutes after you got it. I was thinking I *finally* got something on time. :frown:

That was a great snag! :biggrin:

Well, I've never used/held a Shavemac 429 but according to Vintage Blades' website, it is a 23mm knot. So a 20mm knot from Savile Row would definitely be a smaller brush with a different feel; the question is whether there is enough difference between a SR xx18 and xx20 to justify having both. That was the issue I was grappling with when I saw the 3118 for sale.

I also have a SR 3824 (in ebony :ihih:) & that might be comparable to the 429. At first I thought the 3824 was too big for me which is why I bought the 3320. But after using the smaller brush for a while, I've come to appreciate the bigger one as well. I probably use the 3320 about 2/3 of the time and the 3824 about 1/3. I like to use Tabula Rasa cream which is pricy so I always use the 3320 for that to make it last longer. But sometimes I just feel like using someething a little more pampering/luxurious or whipping up more lather so I bust out the 3824 to use with JM Frasers or TOBS.

Of course Charles also has a 22mm knot size, but that might be too close to the 429 size.

So I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself - use the 3118 for a while and then go back to the Shavemac and see if you come to appreciate it more after giving it some "down time".

I know I will never own anything bigger than the 3824 and could probably be happy with my 2 SR's for quite a while.

Well, I've never used/held a Shavemac 429 but according to Vintage Blades' website, it is a 23mm knot. So a 20mm knot from Savile Row would definitely be a smaller brush with a different feel; the question is whether there is enough difference between a SR xx18 and xx20 to justify having both. That was the issue I was grappling with when I saw the 3118 for sale.

I also have a SR 3824 (in ebony :ihih:) & that might be comparable to the 429. At first I thought the 3824 was too big for me which is why I bought the 3320. But after using the smaller brush for a while, I've come to appreciate the bigger one as well. I probably use the 3320 about 2/3 of the time and the 3824 about 1/3. I like to use Tabula Rasa cream which is pricy so I always use the 3320 for that to make it last longer. But sometimes I just feel like using someething a little more pampering/luxurious or whipping up more lather so I bust out the 3824 to use with JM Frasers or TOBS.

Of course Charles also has a 22mm knot size, but that might be too close to the 429 size.

So I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself - use the 3118 for a while and then go back to the Shavemac and see if you come to appreciate it more after giving it some "down time".

I know I will never own anything bigger than the 3824 and could probably be happy with my 2 SR's for quite a while.

Great, thanks for the info Dusty, you helped out alot.

Just FYI, I can substantiate this one, they are very similar in size. The SR is just a wee bit smaller, but it's hardly noticeable IMO. Best of luck.

J

Top Bottom