What's new

First Restores

Here are my first two restores. They still need to be honed.

The first is a D. Peres Solingen Blade, the scales are an acrylic faux mother of pearl. The blade came very clean after the tumbler so I decided to give it cleaner looking scales.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The second is a Slater Brothers Sheffield blade. The scales are acrylic that I cut and shaped. And then I painted them flat black. This blade had a lot of pitting, and I did not whant to sand it down too much because I liked the ecthing, "Sharper Than A Serpents Tooth" so i just tumbled it and put it together. I chose more agressive style scales, because I thought it would go better with the finish the blade had.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I know my wedges still need a lot of work, but this is my first attemp. Any and all comments and pointers are welcome! Thanks for looking:thumbup1:

Oh, and these are next in line! 2 Wade & Butchers and a Frederick Reynolds

proxy.php

Last edited:
The blade came very clean after the tumbler so I decided to give it cleaner looking scales.

These are great restores. I really like the style of the second razor. I've never seen anything like that before. May I ask what is a tumbler and how do you use it? Do you have a picture of your tumbler too?

Nice work - they both look great!

Thank you!

These are great restores. I really like the style of the second razor. I've never seen anything like that before. May I ask what is a tumbler and how do you use it? Do you have a picture of your tumbler too?

Thanks! here is a link toa thread i posted about blade tumbleing. i plan to follow through and update it this weekend with some pix. If you click on this link and check out the thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147448, you will see a post by Mainaman that links over to SRP, it is a very good and informative thread. I recommend you read it, it will clear up tumbleing for you perfectly.

great lines, for a first this is some very neat work.

I especial love the shank exposure on the second

Thank You, I appreciate it, means a lot coming from someone that does some very nice clean work!!:thumbup1:

Beautiful faux mother of pearl, that blade looks fantastic, I'm mid way through my first few restores at the moment and it's nice to see some other design ideas and works of art out there! Keep on keepin on!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I really enjoyed viewing your work. I think you can be quite proud of what you've accomplished right out of the box. Looking forward to
future reveals.

Thanks! here is a link toa thread i posted about blade tumbleing. i plan to follow through and update it this weekend with some pix. If you click on this link and check out the thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147448, you will see a post by Mainaman that links over to SRP, it is a very good and informative thread. I recommend you read it, it will clear up tumbleing for you perfectly.

QUOTE]

Thank you. I'll go read it right away. :thumbup1:

Wow that thread is the longest I've ever read! You are right, it was very informative. I was so convinced that I went out yesterday and purchased TWO vibratory tumblers - one for walnut and one for corncob. Tomorrow I'm going to the pet store to buy extra walnut so that I can experiment with different compounds just like in the post. By the way what do you use for your walnut and cob?

Beautiful faux mother of pearl, that blade looks fantastic, I'm mid way through my first few restores at the moment and it's nice to see some other design ideas and works of art out there! Keep on keepin on!

Thank you, make sure you post them up when you are done, it's always kool to see the diffrent ideas that people come up with. I feel it helps to get creativity flowing.

I really enjoyed viewing your work. I think you can be quite proud of what you've accomplished right out of the box. Looking forward to
future reveals.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the cool comment:thumbup1: I also look foward to seeing you clean up all those blades you found in that old knife shop! you sir, have a lot of work ahead you! You can send some of those blades my way if you want to share the load. haha! thanks again.

Wow that thread is the longest I've ever read! You are right, it was very informative. I was so convinced that I went out yesterday and purchased TWO vibratory tumblers - one for walnut and one for corncob. Tomorrow I'm going to the pet store to buy extra walnut so that I can experiment with different compounds just like in the post. By the way what do you use for your walnut and cob?

Yes, it is a long thread, but it's a good one. I thought about buying two tumblers myself, but I only have a few blades to do, and I got good results running two blades at once in the same machine. I just place them at opposite ends, and they seem to stay put.
I actually just whent to petco and boought some of the walnut shell media they have for lizards. It's a really fine grain, almost smaller than sesame seed. I ran that with a little less than half a bottle of turtle wax rubbing compund, and about 2 ounces of a liquid metal polish I had, and I honestly did not even use corncob yet. I was happy with the results I got from sanding up to 1200 grit , then walnut tumble for about 36hours and I just pinned the blade after that.

For a beginner you sure did an awesome job on those two. I may send you a couple of my blades to give the tumbler treatment. Keep up the good work!

well done :thumbup1:

Thank you!

Nicely done sir!

Thank you Thirdeye. I have to give you some credit,
I purchased the generic scales from thirdeyes website, you know the ones in his scale shop. When i got them, they looekd very nice, but (no offense) the shapes were a little plain for me, so I broke out the dremel and reshaped them a lot. I know thirdeye can tell you , they look a lot diffrent from when they left his place. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom