What's new

First Razor Recommendation

A couple months ago, I switch from and electric razor to using a Gillette Fusion. However, shortly thereafter, I found the B&B forum and some other information. I want to give a DE Safety Razor a shot, but I am overwhelmed at present at what I should give. Part of that comes from not being able to see it in person before I buy.

However, I have been browsing through this forum looking for what would be a good first DE to start with. I have seen that the Merkur HD has been recommended. Also, it seems a non-adjustable is the way to go for my first razor. However, where should I get this? I have looked on classicshaving.com, but I'm not sure which one of the Merkurs is actually the HD.

I think buying new may be good for a first timer, unless someone else can recommend something else.

In your place I would go for simplicity. Yeah, the Merkur is simple. But seriously, I'd head over the the sales forum here and look at one of the Superspeeds. You can't do a lot better than a '50s Superspeed. Plus its likely the razor your dad shaved with :) Avoid the colored tip (red, blue, black) and just get a plain old SS. They are cheap, solid and they work really well.

invest in a good badger brush, youtube will give some great pointers on building a great lather....nothing like a great wet shave!

I'm heading to C&E to see what they have this evening in terms of a Best Badger brush after reading a few reviews on here. Hopefully that will be a good upgrade from the Barbasol with the hand. :tongue_sm

I'll take a little better look at the Superspeeds as well. It seems everything sells pretty quickly from the Sales forum.

let me know how the brush works out for you...lol about the hand and the barbesol.....i been using a cheaper style badger brush...forgot to bring it with me at a weekend overnighter with my chick and i ran to the drug store and scooped up a boar bristle one with a mug and shave soap cake....the mug is cool..soap is so so..boar and badger bristles though...night and day...i threw away the boar and ill never forget the badger one...honestly bro let me know what u think...remember to swirl the lather into your beard for a few minutes...makes a diference

I think the 34C/HD is a good, basic razor that is good for anybody. That being said, I still recommend vintage Gillettes to start with because they can be had cheaply and are milder than the HD.

I personally favor adjustables, but I started with a 40's style Super Speed that actually belonged to my grandather, then went to the HD, then the Futur. I recently acquited a '62 Gillette adjustable that has earned the number two spot in my rotation behind the Futur. I wouldn't recommend an adjustable to a newbie because I think you learn better technique with a fixed blade and do not have the option of adjusting the blade to compensate for bad technique.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will monitor the B/S/T to see if anyone has a 50's Superspeed they are looking to get rid of.

Any suggestions for local shops to buy shave creams/soaps? Particularly some of the less expensive soaps some folks are recommending? Or are you guys buying exclusively online?

I went to C&E last night to look at brushes, but the $35 one I wanted was out of stock, so they are going to have to call me when it gets in. Let the waiting continue.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will monitor the B/S/T to see if anyone has a 50's Superspeed they are looking to get rid of.

Any suggestions for local shops to buy shave creams/soaps? Particularly some of the less expensive soaps some folks are recommending? Or are you guys buying exclusively online?

I went to C&E last night to look at brushes, but the $35 one I wanted was out of stock, so they are going to have to call me when it gets in. Let the waiting continue.

There is a SS up for sale now!

as a barber and product whore myself...i must admit i've yet to give myself the pleasure of using the expensive products...as im reading more and more im about to go to my local italian specilty store and look for a tube of proraso... lathers great...breaks down the cuticle layer of the hair shaft and provides a slick shaving surface from the glycerin and oils. its pretty cheap and little goes a long way....im currently cleansing my face with lucky tiger lemon wash...i love it...lol its like crisco with lemon..cheap too...that with a hot towel....then i lather up with some hot shave soap i push out from my dads antique dispenser(looks like the one in the Godfather), aply another hot towel, re-lather...like a babys *** my friend. i would like to make a little coctail with the hot soap and proraso though. I hear proraso is great

There's a lot that can be learned from the reviews, but it all comes down to what works for you.

I'd recommend not skimping on creams/soaps. Some of the cheaper soaps in the reviews section can be found at a store that's probably near you if you need to have something immediately; it's also an inexpensive way of finding out if you prefer cream or soap.

There's a lot of good stuff to be had online for decent prices as well though. Mama Bear makes some great soap.

But yeah, a brush would be kind of important...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

Have a look at this thread if you want to buy locally: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=242

Online: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3779

You can probably find some shaving cream or soap at your local supermarket or pharmacy. I got my first brush in a pharmacy, $2.95 CDN I think I paid, it was good for the price...

Thanks for the advice, guys. I picked up a couple razors in the B/S/T section. I have a SS and a Tech coming my way. They should be here today! I have been working on building my lather, etc. for the last couple days while impatiently waiting for the new toys to arrive.

I will give those razors a try. If things go well, I may pick up a Merkur, but right now I am excited to give the SS a try.

Thanks for giving some good tips to a newbie. Picking up a couple vintage Gillettes saved me some money, and I can see how things go.

Top Bottom