What's new

First Peterson pipe wax

I have been waxing my pipes with Halcyon II. For me the product has been working great. I waxed for the first time my Peterson 2012 St. Patricks day and my white buff cloth turned the color of the stain. Not a little of the color....a lot. Has anyone else buffed there 2012 Pete's yet? Seems strange to me to lose so much stain.

Thoughts.......ideas?

Thanks.

-Luke

It is odd but it's not a problem. The paste wax your using has a solvent that keeps the wax as a paste, when you wax a naturally waxed pipe with it the solvent also softens the wax finish on the pipe and it all mixes together. It then hardens as it hazes over and than is buffed bright. The fact that some of the color came up means two things. One they got a little over zealous staining the pipe. Two that they use an alcohol dye and natural wax to finish that pipe without varnishes. The later is how you would want a nice pipe to be finished. I had a NOS GBD do the same thing years ago it'll settle down after a while.

Haven't waxed any of my pipes, but my newest Pete's include....

I have a brand new Killarney Red, just arrived Saturday.
I have a brand new Aran Calabash, smoked about 3 times so far.
2012 SPD 999 Rhodesian.

The Rhodesian stained my hand for the first 5 or 6 smokes.
So far, no staining from the Calabash or Killarney.

Its your call, many pipes have a natural wax finish and they can get dull over time, vulcanite stems will oxidize as well and are waxed to keep them shiny and black. A simple paste pipe wax will help protect pipe and stem from wear and the environment as well as develop a rich warm patina over the years. If you have Lucite stems and your pipes are staying nice don't worry about it, for vulcanite its a lot easier to wax occasionally than it is to get rid of oxidation. Years and decades of use does take its toll on any finish or material without maintenance, however.

Top Bottom