What's new

First Impressions - Homelike Start 1.18 Polished DE Razor

I have purchased everything used in this shave with my own money. Setup I used -
  • Razor - Homelike 1.18 Polished
  • Blade - Wizamet (1)
  • Soap - Cella
  • Razor - Omega 10098
  • Aftershave - CL - Unconditional Surrender

I purchased this razor from BST on reddit and received it today.I was impressed enough with the razor that I thought about writing a first impression post. I will post a full review if my thoughts change in future.

• Fairly well balanced razor. A bit head heavy maybe but not much (I prefer head heavy over handle heavy). Slightly heavier than what I prefer but not by much. Blade loading is easy and intuitive as the post/bar is on top cap. No blade overhang, unfortunately.
  • Handle could have a bit more grip, I think. While it isn't slippery, it does feel like having inadequate grip.
  • During first pass, it felt moderately aggressive. Finding shaving angle was intuitive enough, I think I ended using a shallower angle than I normally go for. Not a lot of naked blade feel, but some. My initial thoughts were somewhere in the range of CG level 2, Carbon and WR-2 1.25.
  • During second pass, it felt milder than I initially thought - definitely milder than 1.25. Maybe as aggressive as CG level 2, but without the unique scrapey (not in a bad way) feeling of CG-2. I would say 5-6.5 in terms of aggression. Maybe 7? So slightly more than average in terms of aggressiveness.
  • Blade feel is not very pronounced, maybe a bit less than the actual aggressiveness of the razor. But still enough feedback to follow. A solid moderate blade feel, I would say.
  • ATG - very very comfortable going ATG on my cheeks (maybe just below the elites - 6C, Hybrid Tech etc). Same on my neck, I shaved the same area multiple times without any discomfort. Say 7.5-8.5 in terms of comfort?
  • After 2 passes (WTG, mostly XTG) I definitely had beard left on my face. During the ATG pass I had a bit of trouble getting rid of whiskers on part of my neck, so I buffed a bit, and got a ~85-95% BBS. So about 6.5-7.5 in terms efficiency is what I am thinking right now. Somewhat similar to NEW de Luxe.
  • Used alum (why? not today, another day) to check feedback, tiny bit sting under the chin, but surprisingly nothing on the neck even where I buffed quite a bit. Now, after about 50 minutes, skin feels fantastic. No redness, irritations, wife even came to pinch my cheeks while writing this - no discomfort. Extremely happy, 10/10.

Polish looks good, I am not the best guy to comment on Fit/Finish.

So, an extremely well built, very very comfortable, just a bit more than middle of the road aggressive daily driver is what I am thinking. I will keep using this for the rest of the week and maybe provide an update and maybe some side by side (suggestions welcome) comparisons if I feel like doing that.

Detailed info on the razor can be found on their website.
  • Lower plate aggression "GAP" (optional): 0.69, 0.90, 0.90 (open comb), 1.18 мм,
  • Material: stainless steel AISI 316,
  • Size of the Upper plate (cap): 43.2 mm x 19 mm,
  • Size of the Lower plate: 43.2 mm х 25.5 mm,
  • Handle size: length 82 mm, diameter 12 mm,
  • Weight of the razor: 105 gramm,
  • Coating: polished,
  • Brand: HomeLikeShaving (Russia, Omsk).

proxy.php

I agree with your thoughts.

The razor is fantastic & considering the price it’s a steal!

I only have the 1.18 - I’m sure the others are a bit too mild considered the 1.18 is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up! I tested the Homelike Start with .69, .90, .90 oc & 1.18 plates on a Passaround and sadly only was able to use the 1.18 plate for 1 shave so didn't get much of a feel for it but it's definitely a solid razor overall and a great value.

I also have the full set and I really like it, the handle is too short and no grip whatsoever, also the plate aggression "GAP": 0.69 is way too mild, other than that I love it. If you buy that set, you dont need to try more razors.

Top Bottom