What's new

First Custom: 17/16 Spanish Point in Ivory

Can we please get a side shot of it closed up.

I'll post a picture in a couple days when I'm home from vacation. It doesn't look anyway out of the ordinary though if that was what you are thinking. I carefully thinned the wedge spacer to the point that the razor sits fractions away from the bottom of the scales such that nothing is sticking out when closed, but deep enough to not look weird.

Is this your first custom, Joe? Really awesome!

*edit* Never mind... I just realized the title of the thread is "first custom". haha That is fantastic work, man!

very impressive for a first attempt! Lovin' that little notch at the tip of the spine, subtle and useless but really makes it stand out, well done :thumbup1:

You have more good going on than bad, for sure. Nice lines and crisp edges, both signs of good work. It may just be the photo, but it appears that the cutting edge is slightly off a perpendicular 90 degrees to the spine/tang. Clear witness lines at the start of grinding will help with that. I think the only real issue you need to address the next time is a consistent thickness at the cutting edge. Where ever the cutting edge looks wider is where the thickness needs more grinding. After I put a bevel on my edges near sharp enough to shave, I'll then go back to grind out the areas that need it. When the bevel is even all along the edge, it means the thickness is consistent. Eventually, you'll probably get away from the 8/8's monsters as well and settle for the more versatile 6/8's and 7/8's widths.

PS. I hope you put super thin CA in those cracks of the ivory. It's necessary unless you want them to get worse.

You have more good going on than bad, for sure. Nice lines and crisp edges, both signs of good work. It may just be the photo, but it appears that the cutting edge is slightly off a perpendicular 90 degrees to the spine/tang. Clear witness lines at the start of grinding will help with that. I think the only real issue you need to address the next time is a consistent thickness at the cutting edge. Where ever the cutting edge looks wider is where the thickness needs more grinding. After I put a bevel on my edges near sharp enough to shave, I'll then go back to grind out the areas that need it. When the bevel is even all along the edge, it means the thickness is consistent. Eventually, you'll probably get away from the 8/8's monsters as well and settle for the more versatile 6/8's and 7/8's widths.

PS. I hope you put super thin CA in those cracks of the ivory. It's necessary unless you want them to get worse.

Thanks for the tips Bill. I know exactly what you mean about starting a bevel and then grinding the areas that need it to get a constant grind all along the edge. I definitely thought about that, but had to take this home with me over xmas to hone it and was too excited to get it shaving first. The next ones I will definitely do this.

Will be putting super thin CA in the cracks when I get home. I'm still not sure about the Ivory, but the quick change of the razor at the pivot will allow me to change out the scales fairly easily if I decide to do that.

Top Bottom