What's new

fine shave soap being discontinued

I am a huge fan of this brand. Lately, I have been working with milk steak and Noble otter's new base and the moisturizers that have been added are actually slowing my razor down a little. And so I've discovered that I like fine's soap base much better.

I don't know if I would get in trouble in mentioning vendors, but I searched through and found these soaps available at four different shave buying locations...

Hints:

Not-east shore shaving

Tiny rose

The Cutter Company

The auction site that shall not be named, had regular priced options as well as overpriced options.

(Sent from mobile)

Fine soaps are made in Germany. The company is a part of Kappus, which had to file for insolvency last year, because the management is really old and still lives in the 1970s, so they did a lot of mismanagement.

Thankfully, an investor who specialized in these kind of companies (because we have a lot of those in Germany), bought it up. Sadly they shut down two of the sub companies / production locations. One of these two is the one in Krefeld, where Fine soaps were made, and as far as I know also Tabac soap and cream.

So, we have to see.

Kappus/Dreiring was a giant, the biggest soap producer in Western Europe. There was a time when they produced over 35.000 tons/year of soap alone but lately the production felt to 20.000 tons/years (that is around 135.000.000 soaps!). Ad_Astra, the investor group who bought the company, obviously started to cut the dead branches.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with fine and tabac that base is basically making them.
And pretty sure it is used by more soapmakers.

Fine soaps are made in Germany. The company is a part of Kappus, which had to file for insolvency last year, because the management is really old and still lives in the 1970s, so they did a lot of mismanagement.

Thankfully, an investor who specialized in these kind of companies (because we have a lot of those in Germany), bought it up. Sadly they shut down two of the sub companies / production locations. One of these two is the one in Krefeld, where Fine soaps were made, and as far as I know also Tabac soap and cream.

So, we have to see.
I always heard it was made in the Netherlands?

That is too bad! I never got around to trying their soap, but I did have a tub of RazoRock Fine American Blend some years back, and really liked the scent.

2020 strikes again! Thanks for the heads up, I was trying to put a stop to my SAD until 2021 but I've decided it doesn't count when its stocking up on soaps before they disappear so just pulled the trigger on an American Blend, Lavender, Fresh Vetiver and Orange Noire :innocent:

On the plus side, it will be interesting to see what their new base turns out like.

This is disappointing news. I’m a big fan of Fine Accoutrement. They offer a good range a high quality, affordable and well packaged soaps and aftershaves (good discounts available on their site). I have 4 of their soaps and aftershaves in my rotation.
I hope the new base is on par with the discontinued soap. I think it’s a great performing soap that is easy to lather, long lasting, and fits nicely in Old Spice mugs. Head to head, I’d give the nod to Tabac but it’s close and Fine offers scents that some may prefer (I’ve grown to love the smell of Tabac).

According to this translated article, it says "they were in financial distress due to the sharp rise in raw material prices and high price pressure. With an annual turnover of around 80 million euros and a production of more than 70,000 tons of soap, Kappus was one of the largest soap manufacturers in Western Europe. The group supplied industrial and large customers in retail and cosmetics with solid and liquid soaps, which are then marketed under their brand names."

So it sounds like this big soap maker distributed soap out to all of the companies that then sell them.

I’m hoping their new soap will use the same fragrance formula as the old. The Fine green vetiver soap and splash pairs very well with Guerlain vetiver edt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom