What's new

Fine Platinum, I love you, but...

I Have To Confess

It's not you, it's me. So what's that have to do with shaving you ask? I'm referring to my love of Fine Accoutrement's Platinum Aftershave.

It was early fall, September 22nd to be exact, when I began this whirlwind love affair. After conducting my usual overkill of internet research & shaving forum reviews, it was not until I was even more perplexed, that I settled on my first order of Fine shaving soap & aftershave. It would be Platinum!

When my order arrived in the mailbox, the scent of pure manhood, with undertones of testosterone, and John Wayne, wafted in the air. With the scent ever so slightly escaping from the little brown shipping box, I rushed home to give this newly arrived scent of masculinity a try. I was immediately convinced all of my research had paid of in one swell swoop. I had hit the mother load of all scents machismo!

My first experience with a Fine Accoutrement's Shaving Soap did not disappoint. The soap whipped up an incredible lather that was equally as good as any of my other shaving soaps. Great cushion, protection, and post-shave feel. The Platinum scent was appropriately named! This stuff truly was at the top of my favorites list, scent speaking of course.

After a very good shave experience, it was time to finish off with a splash of the accompanied aftershave. Wowsers! The initial alcohol sting soon subsided, to then return for what I can only describe as the feeling of menthol tingling on my face while downhill skiing in the Swiss Alps, even though I've never actually done that. This lasted for about 20 minutes, then went away, leaving me with that lingering great scent.

The Fine website describes Platinum as the smell of success! inspired by Creed Aventus, the scent complements a spicy pineapple top note with base notes of smoky oakmoss. All I knew was that I loved it, and it was wife approved! Now added to my soap rotation, I could hardly wait for Platinum day to return! Sometimes I even skipped over a few of the other soaps just to arrive at Platinum's doorstep early, shaving brush in hand.

This continued for several months, until one dreadful day, I noticed skin irritation on my neck. My beautiful wife, in curt fashion said, "It's from all those different soaps and aftershaves you're using." Refusing her advice, I continued. Then on a cold Texas winters day, about 55 degrees outside, I realized she may be right. Following her advice, I stayed with just one of my more mild shave soaps. Things got better, so I figured as most men do, let's go full bore again. The outcome was not good, so it was back to square one. Easing in this time, it was not until I worked up to my now half full bottle of Fine Platinum Aftershave, did I realize my house favorite was the cause of skin turmoil.

I've sworn off using Platinum, but continue to hope that one day, we could reunite in the snow covered Alps for a few laughs, fine cigars, and cognac. After weeks went by, I returned for another chance meeting, but it was not to be. The irritation returned by nightfall, and I knew this half full bottle inspired by someone know as Creed Aventus, or Apollo Creed perhaps, had to stay in the drawer.

I do own another scented soap and aftershave by Fine, which is the L'Orange Noir. The scent is good, not Platinum mind you, but good. Most importantly it doesn't cause me irritation, so there is hope that one day, the rest of my bottle of Platinum can return. Until then, so long good friend, I have to move on, and without an irritated neck. It truly isn't you, it's me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Sad indeed. At least you figured out what the problem was.

You may want to give Stirling Executive Man or Mountain Man a try if you haven't already. Executive Man is also based off of Aventus, so it smells very similar to Platinum. Not quite as strong though. Mountain Man is similar as well, just a little bit of added earthiness/woodiness.

Another suggestion: Wm Neumann Absolute Zero. It has a similar Aventus-like scent to Platinum and Floid Black (another idea for aftershave only), but is filled with face-healing stuff. Check out the website to see the goodies in the ingredients list. Ingredients are not Fine's jam (although I enjoy all of my Fine products but, then again, my old hide can take anything).

This is tragic.

Platinum is one of my go-to's, it hurts me to think about not being able to use it anymore. But unfortunately if you use enough products one of them is bound to cause you issue of some sort be it bumps or allergic reactions of some sort. I recently got a splash on a trade and it caused me an allergic reaction that gave me revolving runny nose/stopped up nose that lasted for a few days! And the scent was one I would have loved to have used this summer on a hot day.

+1 for Stirling - while I haven't had it I only hear great things about them and if you can't have Platinum at least you can have the next best thing.

PS - I really enjoyed this write up even it hurt me to read

Maybe try cutting it with some witch hazel?

Could also use it just on your face and use an unscented balm, rubbing alcohol, or witch hazel on your neck.

Sad! Sorry man!

You had me with, "the scent of pure manhood, with undertones of testosterone, and John Wayne.."

M

Member 113878

Do you know if both the soap and AS are the culprit?
Maybe just one of them?
If just the soap, then you could still enjoy the AS!

I would buy some Fine Platinum Aftershave this very second if there was a Canadian retailer that had it in stock!

Since other fine aftershaves don't bother you...may I suggest some Fine American Blend? If Platinum smells like, "the scent of pure manhood, with undertones of testosterone, and John Wayne." Then I believe that FAB smells like...the pheromones that rule the world, base notes of conquest, and Clint Eastwood (sans the Bridges of Madison County).

If Fine Platinum irritates, you can try RazoRock The Freedburg. Its another Aventus clone and doesn't seem to have the "burn" of Platinum. The challenge may be finding some to buy...

Top Bottom